Sign in to follow this  

Creating Persistent Worlds

This topic is 2547 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings from Silver Marches Persistent World, using the Neverwinter Nights 2 game engine.

I am looking to move our server into the next generation. I am interested to find out how I can develop a multiplayer game in First Person Shooter (FPS) format but have a Roleplaying (RPG) elements, in a Persistent World format. This is when you have a server running that is always on and ready to login players.

I would like to find out which game engines have game developer toolkits available to develop a game. Any information I would greatly appreciate.

I can't think of anything that exists that works exactly like you want.

You might start with an existing engine like Unreal and try to get it to where you want it but i can't think of any fps mmo engines out there.

It seems like a lot of people are STARTING to go that way (blizzard included or so it's rumored with their titan project), but i don't think anything like that yet exists for mass consumption.

PS Your English is really bad for you being from Texas!

The ReplicaNet RNLobby API gives you persistent data storage tied to user accounts, with the ability to have server side statistics and tracking scripts. All this is stored in a database so you can use any kind of server side web reports you like. http://www.replicanet.com/document.html

ReplicaNet has also been used on several FPS types of game.

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
So, you're using NWN2, but you're looking for something else, is that correct?
You want a multiplayer shooter engine? What's wrong with the big boys, like Unreal, or Source?

yes, that is correct. And yes, I am looking for a game engine like Unreal, but I am not sure how to program with it. I need something like a Toolset that comes with the game, or detailed information how to program the Unreal game engine, and whether it provides server hosting support.

Basically, I want to be able to create CUSTOM content in online environment.

With the UDK you can write games as custom as you want. They do not provide server hosting for you, though; you have to host it yourself, or you have to rely on players hosting the servers.

Pretty much any FPS game engine is going to allow you to develop custom content and add persistency, and pretty much all of them are going to require that you provide the servers yourself if you don't want player-controlled servers. So, Source, or C4 engine, or Crytek, or whatever you choose -- I highly recommend choosing an engine based on how easy you think it is to develop custom content for it, as long as it does support multiplayer already.

This topic is 2547 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.