Wildlife: Africa game idea

Started by
11 comments, last by farcodev 13 years, 3 months ago
I have a game idea that I could use some feedback on. So, the game is an animal rpg; you can choose from several African animals(sequels will include animals from different environments) and play as them throughout there lives. In the game, there will be a story line that will allow you to unlock new areas and such. But along with the story line you will be able to roam around, hunt, mate, and discover at your own will. A huge aspect of the game will be the scenery (right now I'm using Unity3d so I don't know if that's the best decision for me) with good textures, models, and terrain.

P.S. If you would like to help out with the project contact me at [deleted]

[Edited by - Tom Sloper on December 26, 2010 10:24:23 PM]
Advertisement
Not sure if it would be very interesting to play. There have been games were you play as a wolf, but I don't think they're terribly popular. You could perhaps try and incorporate a teaching component to it, so the player would learn about different parts of African wildlife.
Thanks for the feedback, I have many game ideas along with this one. The game would include educational aspects, but popularity is something I am afraid of not having. Once again thx!
Have you played the creature mode of Spore? That's one of several games that have done gameplay where you play as an animal, and I really think it could be improved upon. EVO is another good classic (SNES) game where you play as an animal. There's another one that's on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember it's darn name - each generation you have to find a mate for your monster, then when the offspring is born your play switches to that one.

Personally I feel that good arcade-style combat, preferably involving eating everything else on the planet to collect points that you can spend on evolution, is the key element of a fun game where you play as an animal.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Moved to Game Design. Help Wanted posts belong in Help Wanted but must use the Help Wanted format.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

The now long gone Sanctuary Woods developed the 'life simulation' RPG games Wolf and its follow up Lion in the mid 1990's. They were both 2D top-down games that were tightly focused on the particular title animals with 'sandbox' type game mechanics, as well as RPG like side quests. Both games had a tiny community of fans, and are now likely the inspiration for the more current WolfQuest.
I didn't see your core gameplay. I mean, if you create an adventure RPG game with the idea that players control an animal, you should highlight your differences from when players controls humans like normal adventure games.
So, what is, you think, the core gameplay that will attract a lot of people to play?
There was a game called "Savage: The Ultimate Quest for Survival" that did what you're trying to do. You could play as a lion, from cub to adult. It was pretty fun back then, but looking back at it I see some gameplay that could have been improved upon.

I think you should try to get that game, play w/ it for a bit, and see where you can improve on their gameplay mechanics.
There will be different gameplay depending on your animal:

Lion: Chase down and take down your prey with your strength. Learn new techniques along the way on how to bring down your enemies.

Leopard: Use your stealth to sneak up on enemies and pounce on them. Leopards are always ready for anything; if your sneaking tactic fails, chase them down with your pure speed that can increase over time.

Hyena: Travel alongside your pack and hunt down prey. Scavenge corpses and water holes for food and water.

Warthog: Instead of running, use your tusks to fend yourself from any predators that come near. Feeding is easy with a warthog for they eat grass (along with many other things)

Zebra: Use your speed and agility to evade attacks from any predators. When it comes down to a chase, use combos to to outrun the enemy.

Elephant: Move as a group to ensure protection. For those of you wanting to discover, the elephant is the best choice. While not forgetting the other types of gameplay, you can protect each other from invasions on your herd.

Great settings...

Yet I hope you can improve more than just that, since I can find analogy in human perspective RPG games. For example, lions are warriors and leopard are thieves and so on.

Maybe I am too greedy about excellent games. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement