Spilt Cola on PC

Started by
16 comments, last by ApochPiQ 13 years, 3 months ago
Hi,

Using my laptop right now. I accidentally spelt cola on my PC recently while it was running. I tried to quickly switch it off. I removed all the components, got some hankercheifs and cloths to clean up the cola. I think most if it was removed.

When i switch on my computer, the bios does not start up :( which means im guessing the motherboard is fracked. Am i right? Should i clean my mobo with water and quickly dry it and try again? should i buy a new mobo or could it be my cpu or memory screwed?

Everything goes on, gpu fans run, the cpu fan runs, everything, just the bios not starting up.

Just need some advice please
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by themadme
Hi,

Using my laptop right now. I accidentally spelt cola on my PC recently while it was running. I tried to quickly switch it off. I removed all the components, got some hankercheifs and cloths to clean up the cola. I think most if it was removed.

When i switch on my computer, the bios does not start up :( which means im guessing the motherboard is fracked. Am i right? Should i clean my mobo with water and quickly dry it and try again? should i buy a new mobo or could it be my cpu or memory screwed?

Everything goes on, gpu fans run, the cpu fan runs, everything, just the bios not starting up.

Just need some advice please

you should take it to a professional before you mess up everything. If the soda is dry and you have a spare static free baggy I'd recommend taking out the hard-drive just so nothing bad happens to your datas. If you aren't 90% comfortable with doing that successfully, then don't do it and still go see a professional.

Or just get a new one cuz ur probably going to have to anyway if the spill is bad.
You can TRY to clean it off with rubbing alcohol or distilled water. Clean it off and then blow dry it on low, and then let it sit overnight. But by turning it on early you probably killed it.

I would only try this with the mobo, I would test your hard drive on another comp before doing any cleaning to it. I have never heard of anyone successfully cleaning a hard drive with liquids.

[Edited by - ChurchSkiz on December 27, 2010 7:38:16 PM]
Quote:Original post by ChurchSkiz
You can TRY to clean it off with rubbing alcohol or water. Clean it off and then blow dry it on low, and then let it sit overnight. But by turning it on early you probably killed it.

I would only try this with the mobo, I would test your hard drive on another comp before doing any cleaning to it. I have never heard of anyone successfully cleaning a hard drive with liquids.

VERY IMPORTANT THAT THERE BE NO POWER WHEN YOU DO THIS.
I can't imagine the acidity is going to have done anything for the PCBs.
[TheUnbeliever]
Quote:Original post by TheUnbeliever

The risk is shorts. Even when dried, something like soda will leave a residue that easily bridges circuits, and it is the shorting out of connections that actually fries stuff.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote:Original post by Talroth

The risk is shorts. Even when dried, something like soda will leave a residue that easily bridges circuits, and it is the shorting out of connections that actually fries stuff.

Well it is proved once more that soda goes well with fried stuff.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote:Original post by owl
Quote:Original post by Talroth

Well it is proved once more that soda goes well with fried stuff.

You, sir, are the winnar.
You should probably get more soda.
The Pepsi Syndrome

Quote:
Matt: Well, the Pepsi Syndrome. If someone spills a Pepsi on the control panel of a nuclear power reactor, the panel can short-circuit, and the whole core may melt down.

Brian: But, you spilled a Coke.

Matt: It doesn't matter. Any cola does it.

Carl: Any cola? What about RC Cola?

Matt: Yeah, RC does it.

Brian: Canada Dry?

Matt: Sure.

Carl: 7-up?

Matt: It's harmless. It's an un-cola. [ smacks his hands to his forehead ] Oh, wow! I could have had a V8!

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement