Sign in to follow this  

Making a CRPG with a drag n drop development toolkit, ques. and advice

This topic is 2545 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am interested in making a 2D isometric CRPG similar in style to Fallout and Arcanum using a mostly code free, but some scripting is ok game development designer/tool. I want to be able to actually complete the game, with about 8 hours of gameplay.
I have a whole Tabletop campaign completed and run, but will need to make maps, backgrounds, objects, and would like a User interface like in fallout and uinventory screen, as well as overland map if possible.

These are the development kits I have been researching, but am not sure if any of these can make a game like Fallout or Arcanum, which is what I am designing.

Does anyone know if or which of these programs would be the best option to do this?

Explorations:

http://www.explore-rpg.com/

Multimedia Fusion 2:

http://www.clickteam.com/website/usa…mparisons.html

or Game Maker:

http://www.yoyogames.com/make

I have used both Game Maker 8 and Multimedia Fusion 2. Both are fairly good game creation tools and both have various strengths and weaknesses. Game Maker 8 has a fairly nice scripting environment (GML) but I find their drag and drop action/event system is weak compared to Multimedia Fusion 2.

Multimedia Fusion 2 (As opposed to the less featured The Games Factory 2) has a higher price tag than Game Maker 8, but in my opinion is slightly more robust (capable of a wider range of projects, more extensions, ect).

Either way you are going to be spending a lot of time with a visual environment/script. These programs will accelerate development significantly, but this game will still involve a significant amount of programming.

I took a quick look at explore-rpg and if your looking to make a CRPG without a large bit of programming experience (IE you do not wish to make some smaller games first to gain skills) then it is probably the way to go for your project. It will allow you to create your own graphics, set your own item names... However it seems you will sacrifice a great deal of control over how the game works...

Explore-rpg should allow you to see the amount of work you are getting yourself into. You will be able to see how long eight hours of game play content will take to create... Game Maker 8 or MMF 2 will require an extensive amount of work to use them to make an RPG game. I know RPG games have been created using MMF 2, and I am sure creative individuals have done similar things in Game Maker 8... Keep in mind though that these games (and even explore-rpg) is being created by experienced and talented individuals. Any path will involve significant work.

You are likely looking at 1-2 years of development time.

Thanks for the quick reply shadowisadog, a couple ques. based on your replies:

Quote:
Original post by shadowisadog
I have used both Game Maker 8 and Multimedia Fusion 2. Both are fairly good game creation tools and both have various strengths and weaknesses. Game Maker 8 has a fairly nice scripting environment (GML) but I find their drag and drop action/event system is weak compared to Multimedia Fusion 2.

When you say GM has a nice scripting enviro, can you explain that further? Is it more intutive, easier to use, slick, powerful etc.?

Quote:
Multimedia Fusion 2 (As opposed to the less featured The Games Factory 2) has a higher price tag than Game Maker 8, but in my opinion is slightly more robust (capable of a wider range of projects, more extensions, ect).

Which one do you think would have more capabilities on the Isometric CRPG gameplay front? For example User iNterface scree, Inventory screen, Character stas and skills, skill gameply, dialogues things like that.

Quote:
I took a quick look at explore-rpg and if your looking to make a CRPG without a large bit of programming experience (IE you do not wish to make some smaller games first to gain skills) then it is probably the way to go for your project. It will allow you to create your own graphics, set your own item names... However it seems you will sacrifice a great deal of control over how the game works...

I feel I should just start working on the game genre I have the most proficiency at, as I am a Game master, story/quest/level designer first and foremost. Because of thart I think I should just put my time into the genre from the start instead of building arcade or platformer games to learn the toolkit which would take a lot of time from working on the CRPG which is the goal.

Also, were you able to see what aspects of control would be lost in Explore compared to Gamemaker and MMF 2?

Quote:
Explore-rpg should allow you to see the amount of work you are getting yourself into. You will be able to see how long eight hours of game play content will take to create... Game Maker 8 or MMF 2 will require an extensive amount of work to use them to make an RPG game. I know RPG games have been created using MMF 2, and I am sure creative individuals have done similar things in Game Maker 8... Keep in mind though that these games (and even explore-rpg) is being created by experienced and talented individuals. Any path will involve significant work.

You are likely looking at 1-2 years of development time.

How much more work and time do you think making a CRPG in Game maker and/or MMF 2 would take compared to Explorations?

thanks!

A couple of RPG/Adventure games made with Game Maker:

Ark 22, this game is reminiscent of the feel of Albion, and a bit of JRPG. However I think one can easily make a Western RPG with better art and plot/questlines. This game shows some good potential for Game Maker, and seems like it could be done reasonably part time, and probably in a year depending on content and gameplay length goals. The game has a User interface overlay on the main screen, Inventory screen, and quest log. The potential is there for someone with time and a game design (tabletop campaign, or plotline with mechanics system) to make a basic 2D rpg in a reasonable amount of time. And if you can do art, or get an artist to help you can make it quite a good if not great game I think.

The other game Dubloon is basically a JRPG.

Ark 22
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/1066-ark-22

Dubloon
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/83854-dubloon

Quote:
Original post by Tacticus
Thanks for the quick reply shadowisadog, a couple ques. based on your replies:

When you say GM has a nice scripting enviro, can you explain that further? Is it more intutive, easier to use, slick, powerful etc.?

It really depends. After years of programming experience, I personally find scripting a bit more intuitive than visual scripting tools, however I started out using visual/drag&drop scripting. Which you find easier will depend on how comfortable you are with writing code and which style you prefer. Really both are perfectly valid ways to create games and it is just a matter of preference.

Quote:
Which one do you think would have more capabilities on the Isometric CRPG gameplay front? For example User iNterface scree, Inventory screen, Character stas and skills, skill gameply, dialogues things like that.

The concept of a user interface screens, inventory screens, character stats/skills, skill gameplay, and dialogues are all abstract. Just because a lot of games have them, does not mean that they are included standard in various game engines/tools. This is to say that in Game Maker or Multimedia Fusion 2 (or anything really) you will need to create such elements for yourself.

Quote:
I feel I should just start working on the game genre I have the most proficiency at, as I am a Game master, story/quest/level designer first and foremost. Because of thart I think I should just put my time into the genre from the start instead of building arcade or platformer games to learn the toolkit which would take a lot of time from working on the CRPG which is the goal.

How long did it take you to craft your tabletop campaign? If it is unique then probably a significant amount of time. Why should making a game be any different? You act like the time spent working on a "platform" game would be wasted! Why is your time so limited? What is the rush? Your going to be at this for years. You must understand this in detail [u]YEARS[/u]. If you are not willing to invest years, then you simply do not grasp the scope of your project.

Quote:
Also, were you able to see what aspects of control would be lost in Explore compared to Gamemaker and MMF 2?

Well Game Maker and MMF 2 are capable of a wide variety of games. Explore is limited in scope to RPG games (by virtue of the engine). Game Maker and MMF 2 will have you create much more of the game engine yourself. You will have to implement inventory systems, tile systems, ect yourself.

Quote:
How much more work and time do you think making a CRPG in Game maker and/or MMF 2 would take compared to Explorations?
thanks!

With Explorations you will be able to add a few monsters and see the results immediately as far as I can tell. It really depends on what you are happy with, what you consider success in terms of your project.

Good luck!

This topic is 2545 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.