• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SteveDeFacto

Using blender as a map building tool?

This topic is 2758 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I use blender and I'm using the FBX SDK in my game engine to import a scene. The FBX format seems to support everything I need and blender seems fast enough to build a full sized level without any problems. Also after I import the scene from the FBX file I can then save it out to my own format so when I actually use it in a game the game won't take forever to load.

I know it is missing a few things that most map editors have height map tools but I don't plan to save terrain in height maps and I plan to just directly create the meshes for the terrain. I also know it does not support binary space partitioning but I don't think this is necessary with todays GPUs and if my geometry becomes to complex I will just manually brake it into separate meshes and display them when the player walks to an area where the mesh with be visable.

Now I have to ask myself why not just use blender to build my game's maps?

[Edited by - SteveDeFacto on December 27, 2010 9:58:22 AM]

Advertisement
Quote:

The only thing is that blender does not support mesh instances

Not sure what you mean by 'support', but I'm pretty sure that all objects in blender are mesh instances. If you look at all objects they have a 'mesh name' and an 'object name'.

To add to what karwosts said, all objects that reference the same mesh data block are instances of that mesh. There can be many objects sharing the same mesh data block by referencing it's name.

Cheers,

Bob

I think he may have been referring to something like object placement in the level editor. If this is the case, it's like placing specific objects at specific positions, and having his game know that this is the spawn point of an enemy. What Blender is doing for him now is the level geometry itself, and though you can place objects, (which do indeed instance themselves off of one mesh), Blender exports this as geometry, not as gameplay objects.

I could be wrong, but I think that may be what the OP is looking for.

Actually I was talking about what karwosts said. I googled "blender object instances" and found nothing and I tried for an hour to figure out how to reassign a mesh. I just now figured out the operation is called linking and was able to create an instance of a single mesh.

This only makes blender seem like an even better level building tool.

Quote:
Original post by SteveDeFacto
Actually I was talking about what karwosts said. I googled "blender object instances" and found nothing and I tried for an hour to figure out how to reassign a mesh. I just now figured out the operation is called linking and was able to create an instance of a single mesh.

This only makes blender seem like an even better level building tool.

It does, Alt-D will make a link copy of a mesh.

I'm just starting to write scripts for my engine so I can use Blender as my level editor/designer. I would recommend you learn Python and make your own exporter. It only took me a few days to write one and I'd never used Python in blender before. I wanted to support LOD objects inside blender among other things.

Good luck and can I follow your progress somewhere?

You can instance meshes in Blender.
You can reference meshes from an outside file in Blender. To keep your assets modular.
You can use python and easily export this any way you want.

Everyone is just reading the part where I thought blender didn't support instances and leaving replies about that so I just removed it. The question was about using blender as a map building tool not if blender supported instances though I'm glad someone said something I don't think I need to hear it more than once...

Quote:
Original post by SteveDeFacto
Everyone is just reading the part where I thought blender didn't support instances and leaving replies about that so I just removed it. The question was about using blender as a map building tool not if blender supported instances though I'm glad someone said something I don't think I need to hear it more than once...
Then what else do you need to know?

There is a custom data property sheet for every object and instance you create. You can attach any kind of data to those if you need it for your level building purposes.

eg: You can place down a box, and mark it as the player's starting position. Then you can add data to specify orientation, or anything else you need.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!