• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
General_Lee

How fast are display lists comparing to VBOs?

This topic is 2734 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just curious if there is a great difference in performance between display lists and VBO(because i've already tried lists and found them very easy).

I'm rendering my object like this with display list:

glRotatef(get_rotation_from_physics_actor);
glTranslated(get_position_from_physics_actor);
glCallList(model); //20 000 vertices

Is it going to be faster if I'll use VBO?

Thanks for any replies.

Advertisement
Probably not. The display list should be stored in video memory just like the VBO. Is the model simply a list of triangles, or do you switch textures a lot in the display list etc?
You might get better control and new optimization opportunities from changing the way you render the model, but it's doubtful it will be faster in a simple case.

I think that newer cards emulate display lists already with VBOs so it shouldn't make any big difference.

Display lists are just deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore, if it's not necessary.

Thanks for you replies.
Yes, It is the list of triangles. Yes, I do plan to use textures. Hmm... Can you please which cards emulate display lists with VBO?

Quote:
Original post by General_Lee
Thanks for you replies.
Yes, It is the list of triangles. Yes, I do plan to use textures. Hmm... Can you please which cards emulate display lists with VBO?

Display lists can't be done with a vbo because vbos are for vertices and indices. Display lists can store commands like glBndTexture and a few hundred others. The geometry could be stored in vbo. The rest is stored as commands in a special buffer in RAM.
That info comes from a nvidia driver programmer.
Since display lists aren't purely a GPU feature, most ARB members wanted it deprecated and the vote passed in gl 3.0.
Nvidia prefers to continue support since they optimize a lot the stuff you put in display lists.

Display lists may be acellerated on some implementations, but the specification does not dictate that. To my knowledge, they are not used to increase speed, but to save typing for the programmer.

In modern opengl all geometry should be in an VBO.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!