Using photoshop , 3D Studio max

Started by
20 comments, last by SimonForsman 13 years, 2 months ago
Hello,
I was asking what's the law says in using photoshop or 3d studio max in a commercial game , Like the game on XBOX live or iphone store
and if it's totally not allowed

what's the alternatives of that ? , We are small team and we can't buy the license of these programs

I'm waiting for your answer
Advertisement
Simple answer: Don't use these tools if you can't afford them because you are violating international copyright laws.
A reasonable alternative to 3DS Max is Blender. I don't know any alternative to Photoshop that is equally powerful, but if you don't need all its features there are certainly affordable if not free alternatives. You can also try to get an older version of 3DS Max or Photoshop that is 2 or 3 versions behind the latest one.
You mean that I'm free to use old version of these programs ?
I'm not really sure why he would suggest to use an old version, I'm not really in 'the photoshop scene' but I've never heard of and couldn't imagine that they would give away their old versions for free.

Maybe GIMP (free open source) as an alternative to photoshop. Blender is definitely a good 3d modeling program alternative.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
Quote:Original post by Small programmer
You mean that I'm free to use old version of these programs ?

Old versions are still covered by copyright, but in some cases they are cheaper.

If Photoshop Elements is sufficient for your needs you can get an older version for less than $30.

Instead of using 3DS Max I would strongly suggest trying Blender - it's free open-source software and powerful enough for most modeling and animation tasks.

Most industry-standard 3D suites have very restrictive policies when it comes to used software (especially since Autodesk bought pretty much every competitor) so it might be very hard to obtain a (legal) used licence so your artists should seriously think about switching to free and legal 3D software.

Quote:Original post by karwosts
I'm not really sure why he would suggest to use an old version, I'm not really in 'the photoshop scene' but I've never heard of and couldn't imagine that they would give away their old versions for free.

You can get older versions from companies that either switched to a different tool/version or simply went out of business - I didn't think about individuals selling their license, but
that's just a minor detail.

Quote:
Maybe GIMP (free open source) as an alternative to photoshop. Blender is definitely a good 3d modeling program alternative.

Personally, I don't think of GIMP as a serious Photoshop alternative. It might compete in editing photos but it's (IMHO) not nearly as good when it comes to content creation.
photoshop costs about 700$

Is the game on xbox Live or any indie game will get 700$ easily ?

that's the idea
photoshop costs about 700$
Is the game on xbox Live or any indie game will get 700$ easily ?

No, it's very hard to make money with just one game. Could take some time to make your $700 back. If you insist on not using free or cheap alternatives, but you can't afford to go into business at this time, then do not go into business until you are ready.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Then is there a cheaper alternative for photoshop ?
Then is there a cheaper alternative for photoshop ?
Photoshop Elements is $60 right now (usually $100). It has a good portion of the features of the full photoshop, and is 5x cheaper, so definitely worth considering.

If you can't afford the $60, then your next avenue is The GIMP, which offers most of photoshop's features, for free, albeit in a slower, uglier package.

There are also many, many other shareware/freeware image editing programs, each of which only offers a fraction of Photoshop's power, but they are worth evaluating to find out if they will fill your needs.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement