i'm so proud right now, Tell me how this c++ is(it's a mess)

Started by
14 comments, last by dantheman3633 13 years, 3 months ago
ok I made this program, my first time with classes tell me how I can shape it up

#include<iostream>#include<string>#include<conio.h>using namespace std;class mboard{private:	char board[8][8];public:	mboard(){		cout<<"\nCreating the board...\n\n";	}	~mboard(){	}	//setting the positions	void setb(char pl,int plx,int ply){		for(int i=0;i<=7;i++)			for(int j=0;j<=7;j++)				board[j]=0;		board[0][7]='*';		for(int i=0;i<=7;i++)		board[0]='*';	for(int i=0;i<=7;i++)		board[0]='*';	for(int i=0;i<=7;i++)		board[7]='*';	for(int i=0;i<=7;i++)		board[7]='*';	for(int i = 0;i<=5;i++)		board[2]='*';	for(int i=4;i<=7;i++)		board[2]='*';	for(int i=4;i<=7;i++)		board[4]='*';	for(int i=5;i<=7;i++)		board[4]='*';	board[ply][plx]=pl; //setting the player position			}	//Drawing the board	void drawboard(){		for(int i=0;i<=7;i++){			for(int j=0;j<=7;j++)				cout<<board[j];		cout<<endl;		}	}	//checking for collision based on the movement key from the movement function	bool coll(int x,int y,char move){									if( move=='w')				if(board[y-1][x]!='*' )				return false;							if( move=='s')				if(board[y+1][x]!='*' )				return false;			if( move=='a')				if(board[y][x-1]!='*' )				return false;						if( move=='d')				if(board[y][x+1]!='*' )				return false;					        return true;	}};int main(){	int plx=3,ply=6;	char pl='0',sel;	mboard mainb;		//main loop while the selection is not 'q'	do{	mainb.setb(pl,plx,ply);	mainb.drawboard();	cout<<endl<<"x= "<<plx<<" y= "<<ply<<endl<<endl;	sel=getch();	//movement code	if(sel=='w'&&mainb.coll(plx,ply,sel)==false)		ply--;	if(sel=='s'&&mainb.coll(plx,ply,sel)==false)		ply++;		if(sel=='a'&&mainb.coll(plx,ply,sel)==false)		plx--;		if(sel=='d'&&mainb.coll(plx,ply,sel)==false)		plx++;	system("cls");	}while(sel!='q');	system("pause");}

[Edited by - link161 on December 27, 2010 9:10:56 PM]
Advertisement
It would get better results if you put your code in source tags. Right now it isn't the easiest to read and kinda hurts the eyes.
First you can put your code into source blocks so it isn't a big non-indented mess. :)

Good job for first time. Off to a good start. keep doing and learning. Get a good book on object oriented programming and you'll be right on track.

(EDIT: Ninja'd like a champ! )
[/source]
ha sorry about that, here that should be better. So I guess next I want to be able to update the screen without the input. and hopefully soon, a pong game than pacman clone.
Just my personal opinion and how I prefer to code is don't be afraid to use brackets, it can help to read your code for others and yourself especially when you have a lot of nested statements and loops.

so for example instead of
for(int x = 0; x < 10; x++)    for(int y = 0; y < 10; y++)        that[x][y] = 0

to be honest one isn't so bad, but when you have lots it can start to look messy. So instead of the above, you could try.
for(int x = 0; x < 10; x++){    for(int y = 0; y < 10; y++)    {        that[x][y] = 0    }}

Again, this is just my personal opinion on making the readability of the code easier for the reader.

EDIT** Also congrats on using classes for the first time!
Actually wicked, I completely agree with you, it wasn't until I took this programming class last semester that I got in to that habit. Which just came from practicing ifs so much and doing the exercises in class to finish em' first, it's my speedy programming habit lol
I don't know if you're still looking for feedback, but if so, perhaps you could repost your code. (For some reason, adding 'source' tags to existing text - or something like that - causes angle brackets to be displayed as their HTML equivalents, which makes the code difficult to read.)
I'll do it for him:
#include<iostream>#include<string>#include<conio.h>using namespace std;class mboard{private:	char board[8][8];public:	mboard(){		cout<<"\nCreating the board...\n\n";	}	~mboard(){	}	//setting the positions	void setb(char pl,int plx,int ply){		for(int i=0;i<=7;i++)			for(int j=0;j<=7;j++)				board[j]=0;		board[0][7]='*';		for(int i=0;i<=7;i++)		board[0]='*';	for(int i=0;i<=7;i++)		board[0]='*';	for(int i=0;i<=7;i++)		board[7]='*';	for(int i=0;i<=7;i++)		board[7]='*';	for(int i = 0;i<=5;i++)		board[2]='*';	for(int i=4;i<=7;i++)		board[2]='*';	for(int i=4;i<=7;i++)		board[4]='*';	for(int i=5;i<=7;i++)		board[4]='*';	board[ply][plx]=pl; //setting the player position			}	//Drawing the board	void drawboard(){		for(int i=0;i<=7;i++){			for(int j=0;j<=7;j++)				cout<<board[j];		cout<<endl;		}	}	//checking for collision based on the movement key from the movement function	bool coll(int x,int y,char move){									if( move=='w')				if(board[y-1][x]!='*' )				return false;							if( move=='s')				if(board[y+1][x]!='*' )				return false;			if( move=='a')				if(board[y][x-1]!='*' )				return false;						if( move=='d')				if(board[y][x+1]!='*' )				return false;					        return true;	}};int main(){	int plx=3,ply=6;	char pl='0',sel;	mboard mainb;		//main loop while the selection is not 'q'	do{	mainb.setb(pl,plx,ply);	mainb.drawboard();	cout<<endl<<"x= "<<plx<<" y= "<<ply<<endl<<endl;	sel=getch();	//movement code	if(sel=='w'&&mainb.coll(plx,ply,sel)==false)		ply--;	if(sel=='s'&&mainb.coll(plx,ply,sel)==false)		ply++;		if(sel=='a'&&mainb.coll(plx,ply,sel)==false)		plx--;		if(sel=='d'&&mainb.coll(plx,ply,sel)==false)		plx++;	system("cls");	}while(sel!='q');	system("pause");}

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Oh, thank you alpha. Yes I'm always looking for more feedback, or things you would have done differently and why etc. Just to get a better feel for what direction to take when I rewrite all this
Well, it's a bit hard to read. Documentation and spacing are important (if not others, for yourself and your professors). Most of it is just formatting, but it's still fairly clear what the program is and how it works. I know how it's like to work with classes in c++ (it's not the nicest thing in the world), and this is certainly a start. You seem to have followed proper OO design, too (unless I missed something). Keep working at it.

On a side note, just to get a scope of college/university programming, what did you cover in your previous programming class?
C++: Where your friends have access to your private members

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement