halo mmo ideas for pc for a 13 year old(me)

Started by
12 comments, last by MikeRasicci 13 years, 3 months ago
i am trying to create a game sort of like halo to play with my friends on norfolk island with a proffesional game development kit called UDK (Unreal Development Kit)and i was looking for ideas to add onto it.

ps im getting the kit in a day or 2
thanks in advance!!!
Advertisement
Hey!

I think this is the wrong section to ask for ideas.. You may get better replies here;
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=32

Also, I'm not sure if I'm a tad on my toes here or not, or too paranoid, since I know this is not 4chan. But key words you used in your topic's title/body in combination with your username kinda suggests you may not be serious/trolling about your post.

"mmo" in combination with "13 years old" as well as "halo" by someone called "kakorot" (thinking of dbz -> vegeta -> over 9000,) just..sounds weird, I don't mean to offend or anything, don't get me wrong. I could be totally wrong.

But if you're serious, I would not start with an "mmo", but rather something a little simpler, like tetris, pong or the sort.
(Plus, mmo's topics are more at home in the networking board?)

Ofcourse I'm not taking into account how far your skills are either. If you know enough to start with UDK, then that's great! Good luck!
------Future C.A.R.D. Game Technologies-----
Game design questions belong in Game Design. Moved.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If it's just you and your friends, then MMO might not be the right genre. Are you looking for a persistent world hosted on a central server that you can log into and out of? My buddies and I have a Minecraft server that we leave up all the time, and it's not uncommon to log in, play for a few hours and log out without seeing any other dudes on it at all. That's fine in MC, where I'm mainly harvesting wood, hollowing out rooms and building my unimaginatively square structures, but for an FPS game it would get mighty lonesome.

I see a couple ways to go with it: First, you could have some kind of persistent "levelling" system, where you can earn points and upgrade your guns or whatever, so you could feel like you're making headway even when you aren't playing with your mates. The problem there is that some punk will be way above everyone else, and you wind up with him either babysitting everyone while they try to catch up or just dominating in competitive modes.

You could try the Minecraft angle and have non-combat activities in the world, like building stuff and gathering stuff, but that's not very Halo-esque, and it could easily fall far wide of your audience's interest. Besides, you could just play Minecraft if you want to build houses, it's already been made.

I assume you'll be using NPCs as enemies at least some of the time, so there will be krall or whatever running around in the world to hassle players. If that's the case, how about making a world with regions and nodes that resemble a Risk map, where you can push frontiers, secure facilities and otherwise impact the persistent game world? If you're the only guy online, you can just run around upgrading the fortress defenses or patrol the border and pick off scouting parties, but if you have six or seven dudes on the server, you can form a squadron and go assault an NPC base, smashing their turrets with artillery and hacking control consoles, then mop up the stragglers and refortify it with your flag flying above.
thanks
i was trying to look for the word to describe it so thanks its not really a mmo just something i can play locally with my friends.

also i have some ideas of my own.

maybe i could add that each person gets their own AI like cortana and can also upgrade them by either getting the weakest option of data chips and also the strongest option would be some kinds of forerunner artifacts.

also you would start off as a low ranking marine recruit and by doing missions (which are either talking to your lead commander or finding a holo station to contact the highest ranking AI) you can work through various paths like ODST or spartan or up to a high ranking marine commander like johnston.

also for transport you could get a variety of vehicles and also you could get onto a big command ship to get to other planets.
That sounds like an awfully big world for just a few friends.
Hi kakorot,

I think every wannabe game designer starts out just like you are now, imagining huge game ideas that they want to make and thinking, "I can do that in like a year or something". I was the same way and tbh ambition and motivation like that are great for when it comes to college work and personal work which will look good on your CV when it comes to finding a job. Motivation shines through in what you work on through the years.

That said what you're thinking of now is completely impossible for one person, with no previous experience to achieve even given years to work on it. I'm sorry to be harsh but it's the honest truth. Think about how many people were working on Halo in Bungie during the 3 years it took to make. At a rough guess I'd say anywhere between 100 and 200. So that's a total of say 200 man years of work from very experienced programmers.

Once you come to learn what you are capable of in what time you've got you'll start coming up with much more realistic projects. The people who recommended you start with programming simple games like pong or tetris were on the right track. Just think of the amount of 3D models, audio and textures just for the resource side and then think of the amount of programming involved in terms of game logic, AI and scene management.

So my best advice is to start with a small game just to see how long that takes you and also to give you valuable experience. Once you've got that game finished and polished you can start on a new slightly bigger project. As you go over the next few years you'll not only be learning to program and design games but you'll be building up a nice collection of finished projects for your portfolio as well as some reusable code for future projects :)
Portfolio & Blog:http://scgamedev.tumblr.com/
Ha, I remember how long it took Bungie to make Halo, and how many iterations it had. Back in the day, it was going to be a sort of large-scale RTS game, with the player not only fighting in FPS mode, but also setting up AI units for campaigns to push frontiers, obtain resources and take control of the world away from the Covenant forces. It looked so cool, and I loved that it was Mac exclusive.

So don't worry much if what you wind up with doesn't even remotely resemble what you set out to create. Just fool around with different ideas and see where it leads you.
On iterations:

Take a look at the old Starcraft Alpha screenshots. That thing evolved a LOT before it became the fine-tuned competitive RTS it turned out to be. I'd agree with Iron Chef that the final product is going to look a lot different than the initial idea. I'm still on the design document stage of my personal project, and it's already changing significantly.

To help with your original question:

You want a halo-like game that you can develop yourself. As for ideas, try making simple maps with UDK designed for team play. See if you can make a free for all (first to X kills) game, then work on teams... capture the flag... etc. But start with baby steps. Your goal is to make a game for you and your friends, so it depends a lot on what they like.

Also, the easy way out would just be to get Halo and make custom multiplayer maps.
For more perspective on the time you can spend on these things.

I've spent well over a year just trying to work out a stable design idea I was happy with. I may spend more time on it than I should honestly but I feel that I would waste more time later creating features I end up throwing out. Design 20 times, code once. (I have yet to create a single asset for this game)

I also just spent a week of fairly long hours working in a custom starcraft map. I have yet to write triggers (starcraft map scripting) or layout the map itself. This time was all spent on designing the idea and working on the visual assets to be used, (picking terrain textures, cliffs, creating a water shader, creating a lighting setup).

Serious work takes time, and you would be amazed at how many hours it takes to finish even small objectives and how many hours you can actually squeeze out of a day, or days out of a week.

Speaking of which, I need to get back to work on that map.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement