9 or 10?

Started by
3 comments, last by Rycross 13 years, 3 months ago
should i be working on learning directx 9 or should i be trying to learn 10 now?
Advertisement
I don't know your degree of preparation, but i can suggests you to learn from a 3D Math book as 3d math primer.. So you will be able to lear DirectX9 or 10 without problem ;).

It doesn't matter. These are just APIs. It's better to know concepts like the rendering pipeline and how to structure a game program. When you will be making your first game, it really won't make a difference what API is used for rendering. You need to wrap the API in a rendering class, hide it away.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Depends on what you want.

DirectX 10 is just a newer version of 9.
Also, directX 9 is (I think) better documented as it exists longer and therefor also has more tutorials.

A advantage I see in using dx 9 is portability
- there are still many users in windows xp, going for dx 10 would disable xp users from running your software

But before you start learning dx, make sure you can program good. If you're good at programming and DESIGNING your program, leaning dx won't be that hard. If you're still learning to program while also diving into dx, chances are good you're going to have a harsh time

assainator
"What? It disintegrated. By definition, it cannot be fixed." - Gru - Dispicable me

"Dude, the world is only limited by your imagination" - Me

There's really no reason to learn DirectX 10 unless you're already working with a DirectX 10 codebase. DirectX 11 can support DX10 feature levels and works on all the same OSes as DirectX 10. DirectX 9 is relevant if you want to support older cards and Windows XP.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement