Sign in to follow this  

modding my ps3 controller to my n64/ gamecube

This topic is 2468 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I really enjoyed the n64, these days I love the ps3 controller. How would I mod the ps3 controller to the n64 system so I can play my old Mario n64 games, in addtion, since I'm to cheap the purchase a wii I have an game cube wtih Mario Sunhine. Is this this possible with the ps3 controller having the sixaxs plus having full functionity including rumble

The PS3 wired controller interface is USB HID with minor customizations, but the N64 has a proprietary controller protocol (as does the GC, as far as I remember). You would need an active adapter (digital chip + supporting circuitry) in order to fit these together.

In short, this requires solid understanding of both protocols as well as good grasp of digital electronics in general.

The N64 and GC controller protocols are not published by Nintendo, but it is possible to find some unofficial documentation on the 'net. Said protocols are not incredibly complex, but you still need to know exactly what you're doing in order to make things work. The USB HID schema is well documented, and there are only minor differences between it and the PS3 wired controller protocol.

As Nik alludes, its possible -- not even difficult for someone who knows the right things -- but its not a simple matter of splicing some wires together and adding a diode or two.

You'd need a micro-controller supporting USB (or one without USB hardware with sufficient power to run a USB stack in hardware, with room to spare) and probably some discrete parts as well (for level conversion, circuit protection, possibly for a power supply, depending on what the host console provides) for a workable solution. Once again, none of this stuff is difficult to obtain or even expensive (you could probably build the thing for 5 bucks on a breadboard -- and maybe 20-50 bucks in tools) but its the knowledge of what to do with it that stands in your way.

This topic is 2468 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.