Sign in to follow this  

Turing AI Multiplayer (anticheat novice friendly)

This topic is 2540 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I notice that most or all popular modern multiplayer games clearly label the AI/robots and the players, some more so than others. I was just playing some left 4 dead 2 with 2 humans and a robot, and that game is kind of subtle about the robots, and I didn't notice for a while then did. The robot did a good job of acting human! Then I tried playing with 3 AIs but they weren't nearly as human....although to be fair to the robots, the humans that play the game mostly have not held or seen the modeled rifles or activities...and can often be cheaters and poor sports, and I've been noticing 'lag blocking' in sf4 where the other player has a lag button that breaks their internet connection on their gamepad...then they use that as a move to interrupt my button sequence or pause the game whenever I speed up....anyways on to the idea

I was thinking that a game could be like a normal game, I'll use modern warfare 2, a popular fps shooter with single player and multi player capabilities.

Instead of having two menus/game modes/launchers, what if in this 'turing multiplayer' style game there was only one start menu, and none of the models had names over their head. Players would start out in a simple single player first level mission with AI, where they would be skill assessed and rated based on vs. AI gameplay andother factors, and also taught the controls and simple or advanced tactics as necessary. Missions would continue with a generator from pieces, random maps, or a looping/randomized map list. AI spawns would be random or player-like, and the AI would be made as turing-human like as possible. Text and voice chat would be removed for the most part, and a communications menu (v->1->3 "attack target 3", etc) would be enabled and the AI would use it as humanly as possible, possibly with context sensitive and/or automatic communciations out loud with verbal shout or other verbal or radio range hopefully modeled in a simple to use but as accurate/realistic as possible fun way. The player would spawn and respawn more frequently than a single player game against the AI, and other players would get added and removed during gameplay discreetly with no labels in a way that makes them look similar to the AI. Advanced players would play with a mix of players and AI, depending on their play style, and powerful and subtle AI routines could detect cheaters, shove them into AI matches, and discourage them from cheating with tricks, videos, and whatever. I would try and hide any scoring or point systems to encourage fair and fun gameplay and a focus on fast action and playing 'seriously' like a sport, or at least putting all those players together, and maybe even focused 'on' players could all spawn next to each other, and 'random death respawn' might be a normal part of gameplay as a hiding mechanism for multiplayer switching/matching, maybe with a fade out effect or something.

More realistic, human-like AI: Always welcome.

Another path you could take is making gameplay mechanics that help you interact better with NPCs.

For example, a kind of chain of command. As a soldier, you can shout an order (perhaps a button, not through chat) to move to a certain location. All soldiers (including player-soldiers) within a certain radius will hear the call, and choose whether they can respond (damage taken, position venerability). NPCs can also call for help/give commands for all to hear. You'd have to set a pretty high goal for smart AI though, in an FPS match you really need all the human cunning you can get.

The concept that you don't know which are NPCs and which are humans is interesting. It sounds great, but I would be a little worried if I couldn't identify my friends (in real life) from NPCs. Maybe you could give a private radio channel to your team/group.

Generally, I'm all in favor of removing the numbers/visible gameplay from a game. FPS tends to do this pretty well already. In fact, FPS is already the most realistic genre (IMO).

This topic is 2540 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.