100% Microsoft Hardware Computer?

Started by
8 comments, last by Flying_Jester 12 years, 5 months ago
I was wondering why apple has their own hardware-specific os line, and maybe if microsoft should do that and if it would be neat? I think they got in trouble last time they tried to make hardware like apple, maybe it would be ok now....I mostly use microsoft hardware now...at least my mouse and gamepad, and I was thinking a yearly updated (approx) "gaming" branded computer by microsoft with all certified hardware and a known hardware platform that was kind of a cross between a windows machine and an xbox, in that it would be a gaming pc (they could do an office or other versions too) with known certified drivers by microsoft and a more fixed test/hardware platform to help reduce bugs, along with a slick windows-themed integrated look, and a good selection of hardware/other options (like 3d glasses & video games) that is both diverse and specific (for debugging purposes)

Bonus points if it does windows AND xbox and includes a 360 pad
*-----------------------sig------------Visit my web site (Free source code and games!) @ http://SpaceRacer2025.blogspot.com--------------------------------------*
Advertisement
And it would take exactly how long before dell/hp/whatever sued Microsoft for anticompetetive practices ?

As it is today Microsoft can't legally enter the PC hardware business while dominating the OS market because doing so would essentially kill all competition, no other vendor would be able to sell Windows based PCs at competetive prices unless Microsoft started giving their OS away, If the OS market was more diverse vendors such as HP/Dell/etc could make their own OS but on todays market that just doesn't work (Compatibility is everything).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Quote:
I was thinking a yearly updated (approx) "gaming" branded computer by microsoft with all certified hardware and a known hardware platform that was kind of a cross between a windows machine and an xbox, in that it would be a gaming pc (they could do an office or other versions too) with known certified drivers by microsoft and a more fixed test/hardware platform to help reduce bugs, along with a slick windows-themed integrated look, and a good selection of hardware/other options (like 3d glasses & video games) that is both diverse and specific (for debugging purposes)

This translates basically to "a perfect machine with no problems." Which of course would be cool, but will never happen.

Just because the hardware and software and everything is made by one vendor doesn't immediately mean the whole package will be free of defects -- Apple's machines have plenty of issues and incompatibilities, as do Microsoft's own machines (the 360, phones, et cetera).
What you described is more or less the xbox 360, wouldn't you say? (:

Quote:Original post by aersixb9
I was wondering why apple has their own hardware-specific os line, and maybe if microsoft should do that and if it would be neat? I think they got in trouble last time they tried to make hardware like apple, maybe it would be ok now....I mostly use microsoft hardware now...at least my mouse and gamepad, and I was thinking a yearly updated (approx) "gaming" branded computer by microsoft with all certified hardware and a known hardware platform that was kind of a cross between a windows machine and an xbox, in that it would be a gaming pc (they could do an office or other versions too) with known certified drivers by microsoft and a more fixed test/hardware platform to help reduce bugs, along with a slick windows-themed integrated look, and a good selection of hardware/other options (like 3d glasses & video games) that is both diverse and specific (for debugging purposes)

And it would take exactly how long before dell/hp/whatever sued Microsoft for anticompetetive practices ?

As it is today Microsoft can't legally enter the PC hardware business while dominating the OS market because doing so would essentially kill all competition, no other vendor would be able to sell Windows based PCs at competetive prices unless Microsoft started giving their OS away, If the OS market was more diverse vendors such as HP/Dell/etc could make their own OS but on todays market that just doesn't work (Compatibility is everything).

When were Mac clones banned ?

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1293539900' post='4751417']

[/quote]

They're not banned, but Apple doesn't sell standalone OS X licenses (You can only get a legal OS X license by buying a Mac from Apple) so anyone wishing to make a Mac clone would have to make their own OS, get it 100% compatible with Apples OS and do so without infringing on any patent held by Apple. (This would be extremely difficult and given the way the US patent system works, quite risky).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Given that Apple have entered into a sueing match with Samsung, the people who make/made their chips, over (among other things) making a flat object with a black boarder, I'm willing to bet that at the first sign of someone trying to make their own OSX 'clone' they would sue them into oblivion and back again...

[quote name='VJ01' timestamp='1317410118' post='4867695']
[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1293539900' post='4751417']

[/quote]

They're not banned, but Apple doesn't sell standalone OS X licenses (You can only get a legal OS X license by buying a Mac from Apple) so anyone wishing to make a Mac clone would have to make their own OS, get it 100% compatible with Apples OS and do so without infringing on any patent held by Apple. (This would be extremely difficult and given the way the US patent system works, quite risky).
[/quote]

Wikipedia:::
"[font=sans-serif][size=2]While it did briefly license some of its own designs, Apple did not allow other computer makers to "clone" the Mac until the 1990s, long after Microsoftdominated the marketplace with its broad licensing program. By then, it was too late for Apple to reclaim its lost market share and the Macintosh clones achieved limited success before being axed after Steve Jobs returned to Apple Computer in 1997.[sup][citation needed]"[/sup][/font]

That's kind. What, I can ban anyone whenever I like.

Given that Apple have entered into a sueing match with Samsung, the people who make/made their chips, over (among other things) making a flat object with a black boarder, I'm willing to bet that at the first sign of someone trying to make their own OSX 'clone' they would sue them into oblivion and back again...

I would think this is illegal because NextStep -> OS X are UNIX based kernels which is freeware source code with licensing rules such as fair competition. original UNIX kernel is suppose to be free in most scenarios.
GLASSFISH / COCOA or whatever they put on top is not fair game for suing.

Well, there is no one unix kernel. And OSX and NeXTSTEP aren't even Unix-compliant, they are just Unix-like.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement