Sign in to follow this  

Can I use 'Venture' instead of 'Adventure' in my game name?

This topic is 2538 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need a short and cool name in my puzzle game. Can I use 'venture' instead of 'adventure' because the latter is little longer and sounds less powerful than 'venture'. I am not sure it is correct to use 'venture' because I am not native English speaker. Can you help me to figure it out?

What will be the full title?

Edit: If you're going for a light-hearted feel for the title, then using 'Venture instead of Adventure could work since the apostrophe indicates that it is being shortened. But I would definitely ask a native speaker (with the full title) before using this, since it is little unusual.

Quote:
Original post by Schmedly
It has been done before... so why not again?

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10301

Wow, that takes me back.
- the bodies of monsters took a while to decompose
- touching a decomposing body would kill you
- shooting a decomposing body would reset it to "just killed"
- trapped myself in many a room that way

Quote:
Original post by FiberCore
My full title is "HuntVenture". It's a puzzle game. Can I use it as my game name?
I don't see any reason why you couldn't, but it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi. It doesn't have much impact to it, and it doesn't really imply anything to my mind.

Generally your name should reflect the brand you are trying to create with your game, and tie in nicely with the theme, genre as well as any marketing you plan to do. Without knowing anything about your particular game, I can't really advise on specifics.

If your game is about killing animals "hunting" works better than "hunt". In English (and probably other languages) one kind of wordplay is to insert part of another word into the middle of your word. So if take the middle of the word "adventuring" and insert it into the word "hunting" we get Huntventuring. Such a name would imply that you are hunting in an adventuring manner. This name isn't all that great but is decent enough for anything other than a big-name game. Even still, Starcraft is an extremely popular game but if you look at the name you will soon realize that it is nonsense.

Blizzard in particular loves the naming convention: Just about every NPC and item in WoW is:

Adjective + Noun + Verb(er)

- Blazing SunStrider
- Sneaky MarshWisperer
- Flying WindStriker

Perticularly the Noun + verb(er) makes a good game title in English:
Preferably something that implies what the main character will be doing. It's a great, simple name scheme, and it's used a lot for games.

-WindWaker
-DragonSlayer
-Adventurer

For an MMO however, it must contain the prefix Dragon~, the suffix ~Quest, or both in order to succeed.

This topic is 2538 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.