Can I use 'Venture' instead of 'Adventure' in my game name?

Started by
11 comments, last by Humble Hobo 13 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by FiberCore
My full title is "HuntVenture". It's a puzzle game. Can I use it as my game name?
I don't see any reason why you couldn't, but it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi. It doesn't have much impact to it, and it doesn't really imply anything to my mind.

Generally your name should reflect the brand you are trying to create with your game, and tie in nicely with the theme, genre as well as any marketing you plan to do. Without knowing anything about your particular game, I can't really advise on specifics.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement
If your game is about killing animals "hunting" works better than "hunt". In English (and probably other languages) one kind of wordplay is to insert part of another word into the middle of your word. So if take the middle of the word "adventuring" and insert it into the word "hunting" we get Huntventuring. Such a name would imply that you are hunting in an adventuring manner. This name isn't all that great but is decent enough for anything other than a big-name game. Even still, Starcraft is an extremely popular game but if you look at the name you will soon realize that it is nonsense.
Blizzard in particular loves the naming convention: Just about every NPC and item in WoW is:

Adjective + Noun + Verb(er)

- Blazing SunStrider
- Sneaky MarshWisperer
- Flying WindStriker

Perticularly the Noun + verb(er) makes a good game title in English:
Preferably something that implies what the main character will be doing. It's a great, simple name scheme, and it's used a lot for games.

-WindWaker
-DragonSlayer
-Adventurer

For an MMO however, it must contain the prefix Dragon~, the suffix ~Quest, or both in order to succeed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement