Sign in to follow this  

Online 'In the clould' save games - good idea?

This topic is 2544 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,

how about if a service existed which would allow online storage of game save files?

A simple tool that would monitor and detect installed games and offer to upload their saves online. Obviously it would be tied to an user account and would optionally feature encryption.

This way no matter if one reinstalled the game, the OS, switched to a new machine, moved location etc, their beloved game saves would be always there ready for download.

I am just thinking out loud here, I have a very:) small programming firm and was considering this business idea. The service would be free to use (to a limit) with a premium version for more storage space.

Apart from save files this system would easily extend to game specific configurations & settings.

As competition for this would be Steamworks - but is very limited at the moment and works only with Steam games, and OnLive which is a different beast all together.

So what do you think? Would you use something like this? Is there a market out there:)?

Thank you!

It's a great idea, and if you have enough money, time and resources, it would be very useful to a few people.
But only a few people, unless you provide other services, like Steam does. Ofcourse, Valve are already pursuing this succesfully, so most of what you'd be doing is catch up, but that's the fun part.

Unfortunately, there's no universal rule for how games save data, or infact, how saved data is loaded, so the service would need to be tweaked for each individual game - a tedious task.

I personally wouldn't use a service like this. The only use for it as I see, would be if my hard drive suddenly exploded - which isn't that unlikely.

Good luck with any future projects your firm takes on!

There are two use cases, as I see it:
1. As a backup of my progress.
2. To switch between two or more gaming machines.

I find (1) unnecessary, since I usually finish a game in one shot (i.e. a few days to a week), and never return to the single player after that. Thus backups are worthless to me, since if ti bothers me, I can play back through in a short time.

(2) would be great, except that most of us can't afford multiple gaming machines. It would be much more useful for casual games, since those run on low-spec hardware, and are typically quick to pickup-and-play during lunch breaks, etc. Unfortunately again, those games don't tend to have save-games and 'progress' in the same sense...

@Pthalicus Actually is not that hard to detect game saves. Most modern games save in predetermined Windows folders and for the rest there are places to find out like this one.

So it would be an automated system.

@swiftcoder Think of RPG's where one can put 100's worth of hours:)

Quote:
Original post by valentingalea
@swiftcoder Think of RPG's where one can put 100's worth of hours:)
I guess I just don't play that style of game that much. The longest RPGs I have played recently were Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2, either of which can be completed in a week...

Quote:
how about if a service existed which would allow online storage of game save files?

You mean, like Steam Cloud?

I believe what you want already exists, but it doesn't limit itself to games. There are a zillion online backup and file storage companies. For example (from Google and personal experience):
idrive.com
carbonite.com
Symantec.com
mozy.com
box.net
rsync.net
Amazon S3

What makes savegame files special, compared to other data you might lose if you change computers or have a hard disk crash? (Other than probably being harder to find as a general case than "just anything in the Documents folder" ;-)

This topic is 2544 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.