Sign in to follow this  

How is C# and best book for learning it?

This topic is 2539 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First off I'd like to ask how C# fares for game development now. Secondly I would like to ask what the best book/ebook for learning it would be.
Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
If this is in the wrong section, my apologies.

The 'best' book doesn't exist. Perhaps the 'best book for you' does.

What do you know? Do you know how to program? If so, what language(s) do you know?

Quote:
Original post by ernow
The 'best' book doesn't exist. Perhaps the 'best book for you' does.

What do you know? Do you know how to program? If so, what language(s) do you know?

I know a bit of visual basic and have created some programs with it, however I do not know any higher level languages than VB.

Quote:
Original post by Dwarf King

try this link

http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/books.asp?CategoryID=95

There is two books there, both pretty outdated. I would also like to use C# for application development besides game development so should I read a C# book then a C# game development book? And would I need a different book for using C# visual studio?

Quote:
Original post by OriginUnknown
First off I'd like to ask how C# fares for game development now. Secondly I would like to ask what the best book/ebook for learning it would be.

You have XNA, SlimDX, and OpenTK for use in creating games.

You're not likely to see any AAA games produced using C#/Managed code, as there are platform and legacy issues to consider. However many hobby games are produced using C#/Managed code. Many tools used in the creation of AAA games are also produced in managed code.

There is no "best book" for anything. There is however a C# workshop on these forums, which includes a recommendation for books. You can also find many books on Amazon as well. Read the customer reviews.
Quote:
There is two books there, both pretty outdated. I would also like to use C# for application development besides game development so should I read a C# book then a C# game development book? And would I need a different book for using C# visual studio?

There is very little different between developing a game and developing any other application. Games aren't some specialized thing that precludes all other forms of software development. What you learn for one you can apply to the other.

Quote:
Original post by Washu
Quote:
Original post by OriginUnknown

You have XNA, SlimDX, and OpenTK for use in creating games.

You're not likely to see any AAA games produced using C#/Managed code, as there are platform and legacy issues to consider. However many hobby games are produced using C#/Managed code. Many tools used in the creation of AAA games are also produced in managed code.

There is no "best book" for anything. There is however a C# workshop on these forums, which includes a recommendation for books. You can also find many books on Amazon as well. Read the customer reviews.
Quote:

There is very little different between developing a game and developing any other application. Games aren't some specialized thing that precludes all other forms of software development. What you learn for one you can apply to the other.

Thanks for the helpful post, I looked at the C# workshop and couldn't find any "recommended books" besides .NET Book Zero, which isn't really a full book.

Hi, i'm reading XNA 4.0 Game Development by Example Beginners Guide from Packt Publishing. I don't know if it's a good book since i'm starting reading it. But maybe you might consider it:
https://www.packtpub.com/xna-4-0-game-development-by-example-beginners-guide/book

Personally, I used "SAMS Teach Yourself the C# Language in 21 Days" by Bradley L Jones, to quickly get up to speed with C# (coming from a C/C++ background).

This book tries to cover almost everything in this vast language so, advanced stuff like Windows forms, databases, web services and web applications only get touched upon here. Even the .NET base classes simply gets an introduction.

So, this book mainly focuses on the core C# language and, I think it does a fine job in that regard. Also, even though it touches upon some of the more advanced concepts, at least it gives you a heads up on other stuff to learn once you feel you've mastered the core language.

Perhaps there are better books out there, so by all means research it, but at least give this book a look. Researching books online is great an' all that jazz, but you can't beat a trip down to your local bookstore so that you can physically flick through as many books as possible to determine the one that is "right" for you.

This topic is 2539 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.