Sign in to follow this  

My First Game: "Paipa Mundo" Update 08/01 Now Is In English

This topic is 2528 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey i'm a student from Brazil of digital games, and i came here to show us the first game we made in Flash Action ScriptII...

I like if you take a look and take some points bad or good about the game...

thanks a lot and happy new year =D

www.paipamundo.xpg.com.br

The game is about an Indian boy, who when sees his tribe ravaged by a disease goes to help to try cure all friends ...

But the Chief, inform the Paipa that some supernatural force kidnapped the Shaman and he needs to go in search of him ...

Paipa will face monsters of diseases overdeveloped by supernatural forces during their search of the Shaman ...

But beware, animals are not enemies but they hurt ...

[b]Controls

Keys Left and Right: Move;
Key "A" : Run and Jump Higher;
Key "S" : Jump;
Key "D" : Use Shield;
Key "C" : kick;
Key "SPACE" : shoot with bow and arrow;[/b]

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Update 06/01/11
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATES

Well, as yours asked ... I made some adjustments ....

Translated the game to English;

The character now when it dies back in the same position that starts;

I remove the life negative Bug. Now when he reaches 0 or less, he really dies ... I need to improve because it still appears the negative counter before you die, I'll enhance it later.

New Controls:

Left and right keys to walk

Jump = Arrow UP

Run = SHIFT

Shield = Key Z

Kick = Key X

Shoot = Key C

Hope you enjoy .....

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATES 08/01
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I solved the problem of getting stuck in the horizontal

I'd give it a big minus for:
Rather large (exceeding 4 MB)
Coloring schemes doesn't match (those green balloons for example are hard to see)
Very awkward keyboard controls, not at all intuitive.

How about implementing jump as ArrowUp/W? Or possibly Space
You should take a long hard look at the controls :)

Quote:
Original post by marius1930
I'd give it a big minus for:
Rather large (exceeding 4 MB)
Coloring schemes doesn't match (those green balloons for example are hard to see)
Very awkward keyboard controls, not at all intuitive.

How about implementing jump as ArrowUp/W? Or possibly Space
You should take a long hard look at the controls :)

Thanks for yours points of view, i'm very greatfull for your cooperation...

And as most of the time you need running, so with most platform games, I distribute the controls this way because two fingers are holding "A" and "S"and i make free your forefinger to be left holding down the "D ", "C "and" SPACE " in your keyboard... a line.

I think this is intuitive, but thanks for your clue and i will think about others ways for the commands of the game...

I agree with marius1930, you've got a rather strange control scheme. 'wasd' and arrow keys are fairly standard controls for movement nowadays ('wasd' is, of course, specific to 'qwerty' keyboards). I'm not sure if these standards are different where you're from ('zxc' keys are often used as action keys in Japanese games, for example), but if you want your game to be playable on international portals, it helps a lot when it uses familiar controls. The same goes for language - I guess it's Portuguese, but I can make little sense of the introduction and explanation. Providing an English translation would make your game accessible to a much wider audience.

Sadly, I've got a fairly old system here, so the game is running slow. I'll check it out some more tomorrow. Nice music bytheway - did you (or one of your team-mates) create it yourself?

i haven't played it yet(at work, atm) but i would tend to agree with what has been mentioned as far as controls. If I were to suggest something it would probably be to make space jump, shift run, and ASD work the combat controls, making d the most used action under the most usable finger and working from there

Thanks Captain P and Burnt_Fyr

About the controls, what yours think is best?

The actions on the keys "ASD" as the "Burnt_Fyr" said or maybe "ZXC" ...

Or so

Movements in the left and right arrow ... jump in the up arrow

Running in "SHIFT"

And Actions in "ZXC.

Captain P

About the language .. yes it's Portuguese ... But we will put other languages when the project is finished ... Now we have no time and none of us is good enough in English to do it ...

But the story of the opening, i translate in the first post ... Sorry about the language ...

And the music, i got to see Rodrigo, he was responsible for this.

But we not create, if I remember correctly is a recording of a tribe here in Brazil, but when I see him I'll ask.

Go check some other Flash platformer games and see what controls they use (look around on portals such as newgrounds.com and kongregate.com - nitrome.com also has a fair number of platformers). I'm not saying 'zxc' are the best controls - I just mentioned them because they're often used in Japanese games, to illustrate how conventions can differ between regions.

Oh, and don't be sorry for the language - I understand that not everyone is equally fluent in English. It just helps a lot when you want your games to be playable by a larger number of people. A poor translation may still be better than no translation at all, but if you can, try finding a native English speaker who's willing to proofread and correct your translation.

Now, I played the game a bit (didn't get to spend much time on it during my break at work), and there's a couple of things that I noted. First of all, the physics don't feel very solid (I would sometimes end up partially inside an obstacle, or unable to jump on top of an obstacle). I know this is difficult to get right, but it's an important aspect nonetheless (check the Nitrome games, they feel pretty solid). It's also sometimes hard to tell when you can walk on something and when it's just part of the background.

Combat seemed rather uninteresting - kicking has a relatively long startup time compared to it's small reach, so you'll have to be patient and time your kicks well, which leads to slow-paced gameplay. Firing arrows is more effective. Note how, when you hold down the space bar, the fire animation loops. It would feel more natural and 'reliable' if the game would actually play the reloading animation while it's reloading. Also note how the kick animation stops abrubtly when you let go of the attack key. Just let the kick finish regardless of whether the key is still pressed.

As for the bow and shield, the bow is almost invisible (too little contrast with the background). Also, since they're placed behind the player, it's easy to miss them. If they're an important part of the gameplay, consider giving them directly to the player, or putting them somewhere where the player either can't miss them or where he'll need them to continue (a.k.a. 'gating').

The bow would be more interesting if it could be freely aimed (using the mouse for this would make this pretty fluid). The game 'Abuse' is a great example for that. Or check out Logigun. That would also open up things like ricocheting shots and hitting buttons and other items. But that may be a bit too ambitious at this point. ;)

I also noticed a bug where I got teleported back to the start after dying, but I was about half a screen above the ground, and couldn't jump. I also got to -10 hitpoints. The health system is somewhat unconventional: it looks like a hitpoints system, but behaves like a lives system. That is, I would either expect to go game-over or to be put back to the last checkpoint when my health reaches 0%, or I would expect to be put back on each hit and lose 1 life. Note that the player start position is poorly chosen: if you were moving to the right while you died, you throw yourself right into the little critter upon respawning, immediately killing you again.

All in all, it's not bad for a first game, but it can do with some more polishing and tweaking, and the game kinda misses a core element that really makes it fun. Again, check out the Nitrome games. Some of them are overly difficult and some try a bit too hard at having unique elements, but there's some great games in there (notably Dirk Valentine and Final Ninja). I'm sorry if this comes over as overly harsh, but I think pointing out things like these can help you guys creating better games in the future.

Wow Captain P man, this is great...

Thanks for all of your points and hints to make the game better...

I will be honest to say to you that was really what I was expecting, i do know that the game is not perfect and thats why I came in the forum so that other people could give their views on it ...

I really enjoyed your tips and I will examine what can I do about what you told me ... actually this and future projects will be much improved in the near future ....

Thanks = D

And ic0de

The translation into English will be the first thing I try to do ...

Thanks To you too = D

Ps: Sorry my English sometimes

Another point i noticed (not sure if already stated though): It's not always obvious where you can jump on and where not.

For example, the first time a balloon hangs almost at the top edge of the screen, I didn't realize that there were branches of the trees in the background that I could jump on. Or it just didn't work because of physics bugs and thus I started thinking "it's just background", I don't know.

Yeah, and another vote for better controls.
I'm not an expert in flash games, but if a player could customize the controls in case the standard doesn't fit her needs, that would be great.

Congratulations on finishing a game, that's always an achievement.
When I was playing, I hit an enemy, then was sent back to the start of the level. However, I was floating above the tree stumps without falling. I couldn't jump either, so I was stuck at that height and the slug thing would always kill me.

Lord_Evil

Man about the branches of the trees, i will make all branches solid, minus the higher branches...

And the Better Controls is about to come...

Thanks For your Help...

Ezbez

Thanks, yeah the finishing a game is really cool, but we will continue with the project, making new stages to be a cool game...

About the problem after you died, i will resolve as sooner i can ok..

Thanks...

This is a very good first game; I would recommend to keep improving it.

The area that really sticks out to me is the collision response. Rather than falling straight down when hitting the edge, the character should bounce off, or something similar.

Quote:
Original post by cdoty
This is a very good first game; I would recommend to keep improving it.

The area that really sticks out to me is the collision response. Rather than falling straight down when hitting the edge, the character should bounce off, or something similar.

Thanks Man...I'm very happy with the feedback and help that all of the forum have been giving to me

But I do not understand what you wanted to say right ...

As I understand you said that the character is coming back very fast when he hits his head on something is it?

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

UPDATES

Well, as yours asked ... I made some adjustments ....

Translated the game to English;

The character now when it dies back in the same position that starts;

I remove the life negative Bug. Now when he reaches 0 or less, he really dies ... I need to improve because it still appears the negative counter before you die, I'll enhance it later.

New Controls:

Left and right keys to walk

Jump = Arrow UP

Run = SHIFT

Shield = Key Z

Kick = Key X

Shoot = Key C

Hope you enjoy .....

[Edited by - jeison on January 6, 2011 1:55:41 PM]

Ah, good, the translation helps. It's not perfect, but it makes things much easier to understand. ;) Fortunately it's not a lot of text either (most players tend to skip walls of text). Text scrolling speed is rather slow however, you may want to speed that up. Consider using one of the action keys (or just any key) for fast-forwarding (skipping the text scrolling).

I tried playing some more, but the collision detection desperately needs improvement. I sometimes got stuck on horizontal planes and could often move through obstacles, or I would hit an invisible ceiling when jumping. Also, tweak the collision boxes of the enemies. They're too large (visually there's at least 10-20 pixels space left, but it still counts as a hit!). Consider making them a bit smaller than the enemy sprites/visuals, to make things more forgiving towards the player (after all, you're putting them back to checkpoints on a single hit... kinda oldskool game-design, modern games tend to be more forgiving, more fast-paced). Here's an interesting article that deals with tweaking bounding boxes and how it affects gameplay.

I also found a bug where I could no longer fire arrows. Not sure how to trigger this bug, but I've seen it before.

Running seems buggy as well. If I hold down the run key and then jump, I jump higher. But if I start walking, then press the run key and then jump, most of the time it'll be a normal jump. It's unclear exactly when the character is in a proper 'running state', so the character is somewhat unpredictable. Or, in other words, 'it doesn't feel right'.

An update on the controls:

It's better now, but I have a new "problem":

I use a German keyboard, so z and y are interchanged.
Thus I'd have to use the keys x, c and y on your keyboard, which I can't handle [smile]

[b]Captain P[/b]

Well man thanks again... I'm explain this points:

About Text: I don't can make a fast-forwarding over the text now... because the way that it does not allow this.

About the collision: I solved the problem of getting stuck in the horizontal, i update the web today ... about the collision with the enemies I will try to reduce rather to see how it looks, though I think this good ...

The limit that you speak I do not know if it's on the branches of trees: all branches will be solid, I do not like them to be (I do not know how to write but when you can go for something solid and stop over, as if was transparent but is not) or whether it is about the end of the vertical screen, we not create a vertical scroll because of the scenery maybe in other level...

About Running : It really exists because I put the code to run the wrong way, so when you press the button "run", the program doesn't make the loop, so the jump isn't changed in the first time you press "jump" when you press the loop is make, and the state of jump is changed now and the next time he jump higher ....

As I said I had never programmed before, so I try to correct some errors I can because I have been learning a lot from these attempts, some I do not really know how to do
= ( but I'll always seeking answers and trying ehehehhe

[b]Lord_Evil[/b]

I'll try to make a way to customize the controls, do not know when I'll get but I will ehehehhehe

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATES 08/01
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I solved the problem of getting stuck in the horizontal

This topic is 2528 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.