My First Game: "Paipa Mundo" Update 08/01 Now Is In English

Started by
15 comments, last by jeison 13 years, 3 months ago
Congratulations on finishing a game, that's always an achievement.
When I was playing, I hit an enemy, then was sent back to the start of the level. However, I was floating above the tree stumps without falling. I couldn't jump either, so I was stuck at that height and the slug thing would always kill me.
Advertisement
Lord_Evil

Man about the branches of the trees, i will make all branches solid, minus the higher branches...

And the Better Controls is about to come...

Thanks For your Help...

Ezbez

Thanks, yeah the finishing a game is really cool, but we will continue with the project, making new stages to be a cool game...

About the problem after you died, i will resolve as sooner i can ok..

Thanks...
This is a very good first game; I would recommend to keep improving it.

The area that really sticks out to me is the collision response. Rather than falling straight down when hitting the edge, the character should bounce off, or something similar.

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

Quote:Original post by cdoty
This is a very good first game; I would recommend to keep improving it.

The area that really sticks out to me is the collision response. Rather than falling straight down when hitting the edge, the character should bounce off, or something similar.

Thanks Man...I'm very happy with the feedback and help that all of the forum have been giving to me

But I do not understand what you wanted to say right ...

As I understand you said that the character is coming back very fast when he hits his head on something is it?

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

UPDATES

Well, as yours asked ... I made some adjustments ....

Translated the game to English;

The character now when it dies back in the same position that starts;

I remove the life negative Bug. Now when he reaches 0 or less, he really dies ... I need to improve because it still appears the negative counter before you die, I'll enhance it later.

New Controls:

Left and right keys to walk

Jump = Arrow UP

Run = SHIFT

Shield = Key Z

Kick = Key X

Shoot = Key C

Hope you enjoy .....

[Edited by - jeison on January 6, 2011 1:55:41 PM]
Ah, good, the translation helps. It's not perfect, but it makes things much easier to understand. ;) Fortunately it's not a lot of text either (most players tend to skip walls of text). Text scrolling speed is rather slow however, you may want to speed that up. Consider using one of the action keys (or just any key) for fast-forwarding (skipping the text scrolling).

I tried playing some more, but the collision detection desperately needs improvement. I sometimes got stuck on horizontal planes and could often move through obstacles, or I would hit an invisible ceiling when jumping. Also, tweak the collision boxes of the enemies. They're too large (visually there's at least 10-20 pixels space left, but it still counts as a hit!). Consider making them a bit smaller than the enemy sprites/visuals, to make things more forgiving towards the player (after all, you're putting them back to checkpoints on a single hit... kinda oldskool game-design, modern games tend to be more forgiving, more fast-paced). Here's an interesting article that deals with tweaking bounding boxes and how it affects gameplay.

I also found a bug where I could no longer fire arrows. Not sure how to trigger this bug, but I've seen it before.

Running seems buggy as well. If I hold down the run key and then jump, I jump higher. But if I start walking, then press the run key and then jump, most of the time it'll be a normal jump. It's unclear exactly when the character is in a proper 'running state', so the character is somewhat unpredictable. Or, in other words, 'it doesn't feel right'.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
An update on the controls:

It's better now, but I have a new "problem":

I use a German keyboard, so z and y are interchanged.
Thus I'd have to use the keys x, c and y on your keyboard, which I can't handle [smile]
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
Captain P

Well man thanks again... I'm explain this points:

About Text: I don't can make a fast-forwarding over the text now... because the way that it does not allow this.

About the collision: I solved the problem of getting stuck in the horizontal, i update the web today ... about the collision with the enemies I will try to reduce rather to see how it looks, though I think this good ...

The limit that you speak I do not know if it's on the branches of trees: all branches will be solid, I do not like them to be (I do not know how to write but when you can go for something solid and stop over, as if was transparent but is not) or whether it is about the end of the vertical screen, we not create a vertical scroll because of the scenery maybe in other level...

About Running : It really exists because I put the code to run the wrong way, so when you press the button "run", the program doesn't make the loop, so the jump isn't changed in the first time you press "jump" when you press the loop is make, and the state of jump is changed now and the next time he jump higher ....

As I said I had never programmed before, so I try to correct some errors I can because I have been learning a lot from these attempts, some I do not really know how to do
= ( but I'll always seeking answers and trying ehehehhe

Lord_Evil

I'll try to make a way to customize the controls, do not know when I'll get but I will ehehehhehe

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATES 08/01
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I solved the problem of getting stuck in the horizontal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement