Sign in to follow this  

Looking for feedback on game idea

This topic is 2542 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi!

My name is Brian and i have been a lurker here at Gamedev for some months now. I really do enjoy others game ideas and designs. So i want to show my design when it is ready as well.

I have been working on a game for a few months now. I used to program a lot when I was in high school. But I have recently got back into heavy programming now. I am 26, married, 1 child, one on the way. So you can imagine i do not have a lot of time for game programming. So this is what i want to do.

I want to write a 3D game on the android platform. So far, i have a basic 3d engine running loading up a "level" and the main character, moving around, and "talking" to objects and NPCs.

One of my biggest hurdles is the art. I really really do suck at making models and textures. I will have to continue to work on that when I am ready.

Now on to the game I want to make.

I want to make a clocktower clone. But with a different control system. I want to get rid of the point and click interface and bring a resident evil nemesis interface in.

I already have many of the concepts that i want down. Like collision detection with walls. How to move the camera around, and the event scripts. But it is still nowhere near ready to showcase.

What i want to do now, is get info and feedback on control style for an android device, character ideas relevant to a clocktower environment, and storyline elements.

well now that you mention it. I will tell why...:)

In clocktower, an old game for the Super Nintendo in japan. They also made it into a playstation game. They also had a clocktower 2 for the playstation in the USA. It used a point and click interface similar to that of the original sierra games. (leisure suit larry, space quest)

I have found that a point and click interface with picking is difficult to do in android opengl es 1.0. So to overcome the difficulty, I have an on-screen d-pad to use a resident evil control style. Up is forward, left and right is to turn.

So the question of the day is, would this be a control that would be easy to use on a touch screen device?

Quote:
Original post by EndersGames
I have found that a point and click interface with picking is difficult to do in android opengl es 1.0.
Difficult to implement, or difficult for the user to operate?
Quote:
So the question of the day is, would this be a control that would be easy to use on a touch screen device?
It isn't a terrible way to do controls (several popular iPhone games use this very successfully). But if your game is suited to a point-and-click interface, then that should map very well to a touch screen, and I would much rather have a touch screen type control system than an emulated d-pad...

yeah, that is what i though too. rather have a point and click interface...

The trouble is that Andoird hasn't implemented the GLUtools fully for andoird opengl es 1.0. So for now, i am stuck with an onscreen dpad. I thinks it works pretty well, but thank you for feedback.

Quote:
Original post by swiftcoder
But if your game is suited to a point-and-click interface, then that should map very well to a touch screen, and I would much rather have a touch screen type control system than an emulated d-pad...

Not necessarily. Monkey Island is was a point-and-click and the iOS version is touchscreen and it's not the most enjoyable experience. Perhaps they didn't make the "touch within this area" large enough and no, I do not have big hands.

But without knowing what kind of game Clocktower is it's hard to say how a good interface would work.

Perhaps you'll be able to implement both and let the user decide which method they prefer?

Quote:
Original post by EndersGames
The trouble is that Andoird hasn't implemented the GLUtools fully for andoird opengl es 1.0.
GLU is just a software utility library - it doesn't provide any functionality beyond what you could write yourself on top of OpenGL. The source code for GLU is also available, and you can find detailed descriptions/implementations of picking on the web.

Also note that GLU has been deprecated for some time, so going forward, everyone needs to implement these feature for themselves (or use a different library which provides them).

what is clocktower? lol.

lets just say that clocktower did survival horror before survival horror was popular. And on SNES.

As for control interface. I am going to stick with the on screen d-pad. Thinking about it, i do not want the users randomly clicking on the screen hoping for something to happen. I would much rather them to walk around and play the game.

Thanks all for your feedback :)

I will have more questions and ask for more feedback at later dates.
Hope to show you guys screen-shots of the game as it becomes more refined.

This topic is 2542 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.