How should I prepare for CS in college?

Started by
13 comments, last by Metallon 13 years, 3 months ago
also don't get discouraged if you find you don't understand anything when you start. When you get into CS 101, you will go a lot slower than anything you do over the summer and you'll have a teacher to guide you, so don't question your life choice because your summer work is more difficult than you'd expect.
Advertisement
Wow, I guess C# is the way to go. I'll have to download the C# compiler... Should I even worry about an API or XNA yet? I know you wouldn't need them for a text-based game, but they seem to go hand in hand with C#.
Quote:Original post by Stevenx514
Wow, I guess C# is the way to go. I'll have to download the C# compiler... Should I even worry about an API or XNA yet? I know you wouldn't need them for a text-based game, but they seem to go hand in hand with C#.

No, not for a text based game. If you're going text based, System.Console should be all you need as far as API goes. Later on if you want to Jazz it up a bit you can put it in a GUI window, but for now just going plain vanilla console will allow you to focus on the game logic portions without having to lose time over wondering why the API you're calling isn't behaving the way you expect it too.
Heh heh, when I first got interested, I was recommended to go into HTML first.
Later, I experimented with Java.
Then, I got into C++.
http://thsotusgames.wordpress.com/ - My beginning, sad, studios.
Quote:Original post by Thsotus
Heh heh, when I first got interested, I was recommended to go into HTML first.
Later, I experimented with Java.
Then, I got into C++.

This sounds a little like me, only more condensed. I toyed around with HTML when geocities, angelfire and tripod were really popular (so like ten years ago), and three years ago I dabbled in Java for about a week, and I picked up C++ almost three weeks ago.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement