As a one-man hobbyist, I now find myself needing to get into design

Started by
10 comments, last by flodihn 13 years, 3 months ago
I'm looking for tutorials, program design, er, programs that a beginner can use (ArgUML is a bit too much right now) and general ideas. My focus is on games, written using C#/.Net. So far, my design efforts, such as they are, have almost always topped out at making and keeping a list of To-Do/To-Done items.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Is there a particular reason why you feel a need for this? Is it just out of a desire to feel more organized, or do you actually have design issues that you feel would be easier to work out with a formalized tool/process?

Personally, I find that a notepad and pen (or whiteboard, or whatever your preferred medium is) works far better than a formal tool, because it lets you think and record your thought process fluidly rather than having to contort it to fit someone else's model of how you should be thinking.

YMMV, of course.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
Is there a particular reason why you feel a need for this? Is it just out of a desire to feel more organized, or do you actually have design issues that you feel would be easier to work out with a formalized tool/process?

Personally, I find that a notepad and pen (or whiteboard, or whatever your preferred medium is) works far better than a formal tool, because it lets you think and record your thought process fluidly rather than having to contort it to fit someone else's model of how you should be thinking.

YMMV, of course.

In short:

A) My project has now gotten so large I can't keep track of everything in my head.
B) I have no certain plan for further expansion and improvement.

So, I decided to ask for other people's suggestions. Then, I'd go through them and pick the ones I think would work for me, rather than continue to flail blindly at the code. I might end up using something as simple as text documents; not going to hurt to look at options, though.
So far I've only used StarUML (mainly for university projects), and don't have much complaints. It can generate C++ and Java (and I guess C#) code from class diagrams.

It can reverse engeneer code as well, though it misserably fails when it comes to that.

Anyways, you can give it a try :)
Quote:Original post by Narf the Mouse
A) My project has now gotten so large I can't keep track of everything in my head.

Me too. I wouldn't expect to be able to keep track of anything non-trivial in my head. That's why compartmentalised code and IDE's are so helpful.

Sometimes it helps to just sit down and write a list of what you are trying to achieve. To be honest, formalised design procedures are a more useful tool when working in a group or when needing to justify reaching milestones to investors than for solo developers IMHO.
Quote:Original post by Aardvajk

Me too. I wouldn't expect to be able to keep track of anything non-trivial in my head. That's why compartmentalised code and IDE's are so helpful.

Sometimes it helps to just sit down and write a list of what you are trying to achieve. To be honest, formalised design procedures are a more useful tool when working in a group or when needing to justify reaching milestones to investors than for solo developers IMHO.

That's why most of it is in code. But I'm losing track of that code, itself.

Thanks - Currently, I've gone through the namespaces and written lists of what stuff is supposed to do, although the Terrain namespace Design Document needs more work.
What's wrong with a todo list in a text file? Works for me.
------------------------------Great Little War Game
Class diagram of UML for the design and structure. Text file for the todo list.
Quote:Original post by Nofootbird
Class diagram of UML for the design and structure. Text file for the todo list.

What do you use for the UML?
Enterprise Architecture 7.5. It's a commercial product though, it is very easy and convenient to use. In som cases during design phase, I would rather writing down on the paper for I will not be restricted by certain regular rules.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement