An artificial hand connected to bone and tendons?

Started by
10 comments, last by way2lazy2care 13 years, 3 months ago
I'm wondering why I have never seen an artificial hand that is connected to a person's tendons. I tried to google it but no luck. So is there such a thing and if not then why?
Advertisement
What would be the point? How would that even work? What kind of artificial hand are we talking about: ceramic, claw/grapple, robotic, stem-cell-nanotech?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
What would be the point? How would that even work? What kind of artificial hand are we talking about: ceramic, claw/grapple, robotic, stem-cell-nanotech?

Does it really matter how it works? Just a claw that opens and closes with thought would be far better than no hand at all... Also you would not have to deal with strapping on your hand every morning.
Quote:Original post by SteveDeFacto

Does it really matter how it works? Just a claw that opens and closes with thought would be far better than no hand at all... Also you would not have to deal with strapping on your hand every morning.

Hold up you're googling on something that seemingly doesn't exist. And now you're asking "Does it really matter how it works?"

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Hold up you're googling on something that seemingly doesn't exist. And now you're asking "Does it really matter how it works?"

The question you asked was not relevant to my question. I'm asking if it exists so how exactly would I know how a device that does not exist works?
how can you google something when you have no hands?
I'm wondering why I have never seen an artificial hand that is connected to a person's tendons. I tried to google it but no luck. So is there such a thing and if not then why?

They exist. I have a friend who has a claw that opens and closes attached to a tendon in his shoulder.
The question you asked was not relevant to my question. I'm asking if it exists so how exactly would I know how a device that does not exist works?

(might be wrong) It does not exist. The problem isn't connecting to the tendons and bone, but rather sealing the skin around the system. Very recently, as in the past year, researchers developed a material that skin and bone grows in to. This provides a seal that was impossible prior.

They tested this on a cat that had parts of its legs amputated, with stubs of this material embedded in place. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10404251

This is far from being able to test in humans, but it is promising.

[edit]

I was typing as way2lazy2care posted...

Quote:Original post by way2lazy2care
They exist. I have a friend who has a claw that opens and closes attached to a tendon in his shoulder.

How does this work? How do they keep out contamination? How is the skin sealed to the device?

No, I am not a professional programmer. I'm just a hobbyist having fun...

A friend of mine, Luke, has one. It's pretty cool. He got into a fight with his father or something, crazy!
Dean Kamen's "Luke Arm" Prosthesis Readies for Clinical Trials (2008)
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement