console dev: Can someone explain?

Started by
28 comments, last by Drizzt DoUrden 22 years, 7 months ago
To throw mmy 2 cents in, I hate the PS2. Not a decent game in the pile. I am interested in Metal Gear Solid 2 and Ace Combat 4 though, but that''s it.

The DC rocks. I''m hobby coding for that, but even if I weren''t I love it. Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 .... aah, the fun! SC2 is coming to GameCube, by the way. Looks sweet.

Chris Barry

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

Advertisement
I was asking mlambert. I''m curious about what a person who owns "every console released mainstream" prefers.
"It tastes like burning..."
Hi there,

I could be here all night answering this.......

I like most genres, it''s hard to pick - I''m tempted to go with Zelda3, but there are so many games that I don''t honestly think I have a favourite......I suppose it''s much the same for most hardcore gamers!

I''ve just got back from the ECTS show (European Computer Trade Show) and it was pretty sparce for decent games.....

Three things stood out:

How small the GC is
How stupidly big (and ugly) the X-Box is
How much of a good job the developers have done with
the PSone version of Black and White

BTW, I didn''t take any money, but if I did I would have bought the one system I never owned, a Turbogfx (for £60). They were also selling Jaguars for £7.60 (with doom).

Marc Lambert

marc@darkhex.com

Marc. Help Wanted template | Game development isn't easy! | Indie interviews
Bloodlust is back! -Leave your morals and political correctness at the door.

Since I am not a hard core gamer, but I have played almost every system, I would say the best system is PSX because the games are great, with great prices. The system isnt 299.99 and it works just as well as any other system.

The best games ever were:

PSX: Metal Gear Solid, Blood Omen:Legacy of Kain, Final Fantasy 7 and 9, Diablo(2 player edition), and Resident Evil:Directors Cut. I couldnt decide on just one because I like them all.

And also, for that system I believe was called virtual boy, mario tennis

But overall, the best games are for PC''s, so to me consoles are not as good. I play mainly Playstation, and my PC games, like Baldurs Gate(I wish I could get multi player working for it though If anyone else had a problem with that and knows how to fix it, please email me, bg_darkelf@hotmail.com)Myst, Icewind Dale, and Dark Ages (the MMORPG) was cool when I was able to spend 30 $$$$ ever 3 months for it. But then I realized there was no story so I gave it up. For the PC, I like to play any games as long as it isnt an FPS. Cossacks was an awsome ame also, anyone who likes RTS better go get it if they don''t have it already.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Hello all,

I hope I''m not taking this thread off course by asking this. If it''s a problem please let me know. anyho...

If I was to (some how) build the game in my head on PC. Would it be possible at some point down the road to Port it to PS2? I understand about dev kits, and general development of games for PC, I''m just curious if that''s an option. Or possibly if that''s how it''s done now?

I''m really interested in what the process is for current PS2 development houses. Once design is down, all the documents are written, and everyone is well caffinated. How do they go about building a PS2 game (granted they have a dev kit).

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!
r // incognit0

It all depends on how good a coder you are! ;-)

The PC is a totally different beast to work with than a console (unless, of course, you work with the x-box (side note, I''ve seen one and they are huge and ugly!)) however, you can convert between them if you program modular.

Basically, the game engine itself could be exactly the same, it''s just the gfx/sound engines that will need to be altered - and even then, if you design well enough, only the system specific calls. Of course, this is not taking into account all the various memory/effect/etc.. systems you will face.....and the all important platform optimization!

The best way, would be to make a PC demo (even rough coded), try to get a publisher interested and if/when you get the PS2 contract, start largely from scratch. I would advise against writing a whole program on PC, if you''ve never tackled a console before.

The PS2 game process, is pretty much the same as every other console/PC. There shouldn''t be any different approach for any particular system, only in the design stage you could take into account each platforms strengths and work to them, but the actual game development process is the same.

Marc Lambert

marc@darkhex.com

Marc,

Thank you for the prompt response, it's very much appreciated.

Unfortunatly I'm not a coder. I do remember taking classes years past, but to be honest I don't remember ever walking out of those classes concious. What I do have are resources that did stay awake in class, and those are the individuals I was planning on hitting up to do the coding, with a 12 pack, and a good sales pitch.

Your absolutly right though... I should take a step back before going to far with this.

You see, I'm just a little-o-designer (not a game designer). To me the concept is more important then the platform it runs on. I'm not looking to break into the business, nor am I looking for publication (I don't know what I'd do if I did). I really just want to create something enjoyable.

hmmm, once again I'm trying to jump ahead... I should seriously put effort into doing more research first.

thanks again,

-rob // incognit0

Edited by - incognit0 on September 4, 2001 7:36:39 PM
Why u don''t try programming Console games with console emulators?
Game developers who want to make game for consoles could get source code of one of those emulators, and change the emulator properly so we can use it as a tool for develop games
That''s the solution!!!!
There is no need to buy a console development kit distributed by sega, sony or nintendo. We can use emulators!!!
game developer
Incognit0, unless you can program/draw/make music, then the options are limited ;-) (See the writer debate over in the Help Wanted forum for more of this!)

The best way for someone like yourself to get into the indudstry is applying for games testing positions and work up from there.

My main goal was to be a game designer/writer (and still is), but since I had the apptitde for programming, I went that route.

Howevere, I will point out that I didn''t go to college or anything to learn to program, I fitted around the alcohol consumption! (and still do ;-) )

Marc Lambert

marc@darkhex.com

Marcos: Good solution. I didn''t think about that. That could easily be an option I suppose.

Marc: Drawing, animation, graphics are my forte. It''s pretty much what I do on a day to day, hour to hour, demanding client to demanding client, basis. So I could, with enough coffee and time, create one nice looking design doc with hopefully all the information and assets anyone would need to sit down and build build build.

I''ve spent a couple of years now hap-hazardly reading up on game design, and the field in general. Plush job if you can get it right off the batt.

uhm, just realized I''ve now taken this completely off topic for this thread. Sorry about that.

Back to lurking I go, enjoy your pint.

Thanks for all the insight.
rob // incognit0

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement