[java] No Java game developers on this forum...?

Started by
14 comments, last by Stani R 13 years, 2 months ago
Seems like this forum gets so little posts that by default it only shows a few on the homepage when you click in here from the index. I have always used C++, but now that I've started attending Auburn University, they pretty much use java for everything. I haven't been working with anything related to graphics since I've gotten there, but I must say that I'm impressed with the language so far and love all the libraries it uses. After learning about some of the awt/swing graphics capabilities and using some threads I am convinced that I can make a decent 2D game run in Java. I have started throwing some code together for a side-scroller demo. I was wondering if anyone does know any Java game dev resources on the net that I don't know about. A good active forum perhaps, or some 2D tutorials maybe something not horribly old?
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Advertisement
The place I've used for Java related stuff is javagaming.org. I've always considered Gamedev.net a place for more... general topics such as game development and the likes, so I've been using javagaming.org forums for my Java language spesific problems. Questions do get answered here, too, but it should be worth the effort taking a look at that place as well.
*whew* I thought I was the only one that noticed how empty it is in here.

CoryG89, I second most of what you are saying and agree. I've recently started working with Java for game development and am putzing about the language, doing my thing at my pace. However I have been working, with no small measure of dedication, on a couple class libraries for Java games. They are almost ready to post up here, once I get the docs totally sorted out. I've got two at the moment: a JOGL 2d library that smooths out everything needed for 2d OpenGL Java development, and a simple sound engine entirely in Java for many common sound formats like ogg, mp3, ape, and so on. When they appear they will appear posted in here, for what its worth.

framdall, that site looks good, thanks for sharing!
There were a lot discussions a few years ago. I thought with the Android OS using Java there would be more, but no.

I'm not sure what everyone is doing. Hopefully they are too busy making cool games?

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

My group is doing a 2-D game in Java, but the Java programmers either don't know what they think they know or don't exist period D:
Actually on second thought, the answer to this seems quite obvious. Java has probably the largest support base publicly searchable and accessible online, and I bet the majority of posts that would be made here are being easily answered with a google search. Well, that is my 2 cents anyway :)

*gets back to Java coding* :)
same thought as Jason Petrasko, all the more difficult questions go to the OpenGL/Graphics Theory forums or a more general questions.
+1 as someone that uses javagaming.org. But if enough people are active on here....
You should check out the jMonkeyEngine forums. There are lots of people doing 3D games using OpenGL in Java(for example minecraft).
I've been using Java as my "main" programming language since the beginning of 2009. I have finished doing only 1-2 games in Java. In the past I used to code without documentation/structure descriptions and because of this, I haven't finished any bigger projects. It just gets very uncomfortable to code tons of classes and many lines of code without a clear structure of your project... I don't have always time to code games because I'm in the Uni(bachelor studies) and I'm also working.
I'm primarily a developer of Java games (Awesome Soccer is written in the language). I'm new on these forums really, but active on IndieGamer and JavaGaming.org. However, hopefully this can grow, esp with the addition of Android.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement