Blender 2.5 to XNA 4 - with animations

Started by
0 comments, last by Ilarion 13 years, 3 months ago
I tried to reply this to my earlier thread where I asked for help on this, but apparently it's been retired.

In case anyone else is having trouble exporting FBX animations from Blender 2.5 to XNA 4, I thought I'd share my process I scrounged up. It's all out there right now, but it takes some Google-fu to piece everything together.

1. Install this export script for Blender 2.5, and use it instead of the default FBX exporter.

2. The XNA 4 team didn't have time to add support for multiple takes in FBX files, so you'll need to use this content importer, which automagically splits the single file into multiple files and imports them separately.

From there on out, you can follow the XNA skinning sample. I went ahead and modified it to demonstrate how to set everything up. Here's my modified version, which includes a Blender 2.5 .blend file (complete with crappy animations), a .fbx file, and all the necessary code.

Anyway, the result is, you can hit "export" in Blender, and poof, animations in XNA!

Hope someone can benefit from this. Cheers!
Advertisement
Awesome, I'll have to try this script out.

I have my own way of doing it but I was just exporting separate animations (which becomes a long process!).

Also, I believe the reason XNA4.0 doesn't support multiple takes was because the XNA team updated the FBX Importer they're using, which is provide by Adobe Max. The Max team are the ones responsible for removing the multi-take feature. (Multiple takes were working prior to XNA4.0 - the update broke a lot of us)

Cheers!
Many Thanks!
"Imagination is just around the corner" Me"If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." Possibly God

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement