• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mvBarracuda

How to protect your software project from poisonous people *video*

This topic is 2711 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Not sure if this fits in here, but as it's project management related, I'll go ahead. Feel free to move it to a different subforum.

The video is based on the experiences of some Google developers working on Subversion. While it's primarily meant for open source projects, I'm pretty sure that other closed source volunteer projects can greatly benefit from it as well.

Anyway, I've rewatched this video from time to time and I always find it incredibly useful and funny at the same time. Because the speakers describe problems you'll encounter in almost all team software projects that require collaboration.

So without further ado, enjoy: How to protect your software projects from poisonous people

[Edited by - mvBarracuda on January 7, 2011 3:43:21 AM]

Advertisement
Was an interesting watch. The tips can certainly be used for any collaborative project, really. No group is safe from having its progress impeded in some way.

I liked especially their decision not to allow people to 'stake territory' in the project by putting their name on code. The one and only volunteer project I've worked on had a couple people with huge amounts of code they disliked others even looking at. Very alienating.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!