Visual Studio C++ Beginner Woes

Started by
4 comments, last by AndyEsser 13 years, 3 months ago
Hi everyone! I'm Inverse Infinity, and I'm just beginning to learn game programming. This is my first post here, so play nice, ok? :D

I've just started to work my way through a book called 'Beginning C++ Game Programming' by Michael Dawson, and I've hit a bit of a snag. In the book, the first exercise is to write a program that will output the string "Game Over!" to the command line when executed. The exact code from the book looks like this:

// Game Over
// A First C++ Program

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std:cout << "Game Over!" << std:endl;
return 0;
}

However, when I take that code exactly, and put it through Visual Studio 2010 Pro, and attempt to build the project, it causes an error and asks if I had forgotten to include "StdAfx.h". Now, I'm not sure why it's doing this, because after I add it below "#include <iostream>", the build log says it's skipped "include <iostream>" and then brings up 4 other errors. Hmmmm... (Here is a cut/paste from the build log)

1>d:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2010\projects\game_over\game_over\game_over.cpp(5): warning C4627: '#include "iostream"': skipped when looking for precompiled header use
1> Add directive to 'StdAfx.h' or rebuild precompiled header
1>d:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2010\projects\game_over\game_over\game_over.cpp(10): error C2039: 'cout' : is not a member of 'std'
1>d:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2010\projects\game_over\game_over\game_over.cpp(10): error C2065: 'cout' : undeclared identifier
1>d:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2010\projects\game_over\game_over\game_over.cpp(10): error C2039: 'endl' : is not a member of 'std'
1>d:\documents and settings\administrator\my documents\visual studio 2010\projects\game_over\game_over\game_over.cpp(10): error C2065: 'endl' : undeclared identifier
1>
1>Build FAILED.

Sorry it's a bit long. :D

I've had a bit of a think about this, and have played around with the code a bit to see if I can nut it out myself, but I just can't find any way around the errors. So maybe you guys might be able to help. I got to thinking is the 'iostream' header missing from Visual Studio by default? If so, how can I fix it and if not, what might be happening to cause these problems?

Also, do you have any suggestions about good books to learn C++ game programming from? Have you personally used any that you found good?

Thanks in Advance!
Advertisement
StdAfx.h is used when using Precompiled Headers (PCH). It looks like you've chosen the wrong type of project when you created it in Visual Studio. Basically you just want an empty console project (make sure that any tick boxes referring to any includes or anything are unticked).
Original post by Inverse Infinity

int main()
{
std:cout << "Game Over!" << std:endl;
return 0;
}
[\quote]
Shouldn't that be std::cout, std::endl?
Quote:Original post by AndyEsser
StdAfx.h is used when using Precompiled Headers (PCH). It looks like you've chosen the wrong type of project when you created it in Visual Studio. Basically you just want an empty console project (make sure that any tick boxes referring to any includes or anything are unticked).

Ah, yes, I did have PCH ticked. Thanks for that, I'll give it another whirl and see what happens. :D
Quote:Original post by Jacob Jingle
Shouldn't that be std::cout, std::endl?

Yep, my bad. It was '::' in the code. Good pickup. :D

And after switching PCH off, hey-presto! It works!

Thanks so much guys!
Glad to be of help

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement