What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Started by
486 comments, last by GameDev.net 13 years ago
Another question. Are the contests gone?
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Advertisement
aww we can't choose an avatar picture other than the stock ones. I chose a kitty.

Anyway the site feels clean. Like a clean room. :blink: I like the smilies.I don't like the placement of the name. I feel like it should be over the avatar picture.
Uh... is there any way to undo a upvote on a post? Because I can't really find a method to do that.

[size=1]Visit my website, rawrrawr.com

Looks slick, but I have a few remarks. There's too much spacing between the titles and text, the recent threads tab barely fits on my screen now while showing less threads than before, the height of most items need to be trimmed down. Screens are getting wider, not higher :P. Also I'd like to see the recent threads moved up more, at least above recent articles.
I can't set an avatar, although i made a gallery. I can only set the pre-whatever avatars :(
I like the new site, looks good. A couple of things though:

1) Is Image of The Day gone? That was my favorite feature of the old GD net. Particularly I liked how it was on the front page; made it easy to get to.
2) In the "Recent threads" list on the front page, all of the "N Reply" links (where N is some number), link to "http://www.gamedev.net/#".
Looks good. It seems a lot more complex than the old one
the height of most items need to be trimmed down.

Yeah this definitely. I'd prefer if I could see more forum posts. Right now the amount of whitespace caused by the left menu is a bit much.

I do kind of wish there was a dark/blue theme like we used to have (if that is coming, then great :)). Visually, the site seems very... big. All this padding and spacing makes everything look far apart. Will definitely take some getting used to.

gasp! We can attach files! Ok, thats new!

probe

I still don't understand multiquote. It seems to function 100% the same as regular quote - at least for me on Internet Explorer 9.

you click it on all the things you want to reply to then hit reply on the bottom and it will add all of the quotes to your reply field. You have to hit post a reply at the top or bottom though. For some reason if you do it then hit the reply link attached to every post it seems not to work as expected.

When I went to gamedev.net, my immediate reaction was that I must've mistyped the address and went to some spam site.

I suppose the new look is slick; but is it necessary? If there are technical reasons for the change, then great. But if it was merely for the interface, then gamedev.net just lost all of its great simplicity and ease of use. All of the AJAX and Javascript just isn't necessary, and feels sloppy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement