What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Started by
486 comments, last by GameDev.net 13 years ago
Here's another issue. I'm not submitting this as a "bug" per se, but something that just needs to be on the general radar:

I grabbed the HTML for the forum index page... 213k! back in the "old days" anything more than 50k was getting very heavy. My computer is a bit older and it definitely suffers in redraw and scrolling speeds, just beacuse there is so much markup. Download speeds will also take a noticeable hit.

You might say, "well everybody has broadband now." But if people really do want to view the site on a mobile device or iThing, then it's going to crawl.

As a longterm project, we might look into removing some of the extraneous markup from the forum. Especially if server bandwidth is a pricey issue. 200k per hit adds up really fast!
Advertisement

...I don't like the placement of the name. I feel like it should be over the avatar picture...

Seconded. I think this would bundle the user info more to the left box.

You might say, "well everybody has broadband now." But if people really do want to view the site on a mobile device or iThing, then it's going to crawl.

it's also a sizable hit to people with download caps on their phones.

The output is different for mobile devices as ips generates mobile sites automatically though, so it might not be a huge issue?

'leiavoia' said:

it's also a sizable hit to people with download caps on their phones.

The output is different for mobile devices as ips generates mobile sites automatically though, so it might not be a huge issue?

The site is quite different when looking at it on my HTC Hero.

laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

The site is quite different when looking at it on my HTC Hero.

Can you tell how big the download is easily? I'm curious :3

On Topic: Did quotes become infinitely nestable again? I think it cut out quotes of quotes in replies when it started. I liked it, because some of these reply chains can get pretty excessive. Or perhaps make it so the highest level you can go to is 2-3 quotes?

How difficult would it be to add the multi-quote functionality to every reply button? I find it troublesome when there are so many clickable reply buttons everywhere but the two I want are all the way at the top or bottom of a page.

On Topic: Did quotes become infinitely nestable again? I think it cut out quotes of quotes in replies when it started. I liked it, because some of these reply chains can get pretty excessive. Or perhaps make it so the highest level you can go to is 2-3 quotes?

How difficult would it be to add the multi-quote functionality to every reply button? I find it troublesome when there are so many clickable reply buttons everywhere but the two I want are all the way at the top or bottom of a page.

Yea seems someone re-enabled that. I agree that if we can cap nests, we should.

It would be extremely difficult to modify the multi-quote behavior, maybe impossible. We are very reluctant to play around with base forum code we have access to as the more we gravitate away from the normal behavior of this forum the more we get back into the troubles we had maintaining our custom software with the old website. The best we can do in cases pertaining to base forum functionality is request a change from IPS in a later software update.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Unfortunately, no. I have a company paid data plan and I can't monitor it. I can tell you it takes no longer than four seconds from clicking on the link in by bookmark widget to loading the browser and having the forum index up.

laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

'way2lazy2care' said:

Unfortunately, no. I have a company paid data plan and I can't monitor it. I can tell you it takes no longer than four seconds from clicking on the link in by bookmark widget to loading the browser and having the forum index up.

Spoofing the HTC's user agent in Firefox, 12.45 kB for the home page (that's only the HTML of course).
For some reason the software isn't detecting the use of my old iPhone 3G and loads the normal view. :(
Does anyone know the criteria used to identify a post as 'active' for the Active Content page? It seems there is quite a disparity between active content and latest content, in that latest content is entirely up-to-date whereas active content is a splattering of new and older stuff and it updates less frequently.
Could we go back to 25 posts per page? Or is there a setting somewhere?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement