What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Started by
486 comments, last by GameDev.net 13 years ago

'Gaiiden' said:

It would be extremely difficult to modify the multi-quote behavior…

Figured I might as well spell out what would need to be done here - when you reply to comments in journal posts (for example) you can hit the "Reply" link for multiple comments and it loads the quotes all up in your Reply Box at the bottom. So yes, perhaps we can combine the "Reply" and "MultiQuote" buttons on the forum into one. We remove the "MultiQuote" and change "Reply" to "Quote" and when you select "Quote" it loads the quote into the Fast Reply box rather than jumping to a Full Editor page. You should be able to load up multiple quotes into the Fast Reply box across pages. If you click "Add Reply" or "Use Full Editor" the Full Editor opens with all the quotes you have already selected.

Again I'm pretty sure, however, that this is a change we would have to request be made in the IP.Board software itself rather than something we can do.

I was thinking more along the lines of making the reply button do exactly what the reply button on the top or bottom does, but in individual posts it would also tag the given posts multi-quote toggle to on so it auto-replies to that.

But that, like was said before, is probably better served as a feature request to IPS than to mess with here lest upgradability be an issue in the future.

Advertisement
Hey everyone, check out the status feeds:

Gaiiden
Dave Astle (myopic rhino)
Kevin Hawkins (khawk)
Mike Tanczos

We'll be using them to update changes we are making to the website. Many are small but some are things you won't know unless you're told so I would suggest checking here often for the latest. Mike, you'll want to see what Dave tweaked just recently.

I'll add more staff when they have updates too.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Good to see. What was it set at before? Also, is this supposed to reset every day? It didn't seem like it was doing that for me.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

Good to see. What was it set at before? Also, is this supposed to reset every day? It didn't seem like it was doing that for me.

It was set at 5 per day, which was just ridiculous, and it was kind of buried in the settings. It's set high enough now that hitting the limit should be unlikely, so if you encounter it, let me know.
As posted MUCH earlier in this thread and others, I've been working on my own theme for the site.

The version I'm actually using is a bit longer. I don't want the "feedback" button and eliminated the 120 pixel logo on top, but I kept them enabled in the style sheet I'm giving out.

I've posted it on the blog for review and feedback.
woops wrong person.
Hey Frob can you clue me in how to use your style sheet with Firefox? I'd like to see how these changes you're making actually look. Or post pictures. Thanks.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Hey Frob can you clue me in how to use your style sheet with Firefox? I'd like to see how these changes you're making actually look. Or post pictures. Thanks.

Good point. I'm using Stylish (http://userstyles.org) to just post the raw CSS. There are several extensions to web browsers that let you apply CSS directly to a site.

I'll just post screen shots for now since I don't have instructions:

top_of_page.png

... and ...
bottom_of_page.png

The next item on my hit list is to hide the "group / posts / joined" lines and shrink the image. I'm trying to reclaim vertical space and those are painful on short posts.
Hey frob, I was thinking the same about the user stats.
This is what I came up with stylish. The stats are visible when you hover over the user area.
What do you think?

[attachment=986:hover.png]
You know, all that information is available in the pop-up bubble you get when you click on the eeetsy-bitsy button next to a person's display name. I say we just make that more prominent or have that be the function when clicking on a user's avatar/name because from their you can do pretty much everything you see in the post area.

If anyone jumps in and says "but dude that's one more click I have to do..." I'm gunna ninja your head off :P

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement