What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Started by
486 comments, last by GameDev.net 13 years ago
What I notice is that every full page change my profile options menu is open albeit my mouse being nowhere near.

I get the same from time to time, and I believe this is due to the JavaScript not downloading for some reason (or failing to clean up all those visuals due to the page being broken during download). This happens when the network I am on is being hammered by clients. Because of this I also have had trouble replying (as the JS doesn't see that I've clicked on the reply box).

F5 a few times tends to iron this out more often than not.
Advertisement
It happens every single time for me, using IE8. IE doesn't show any javascript error though. Might be something else?

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

What I notice is that every full page change my profile options menu is open albeit my mouse being nowhere near.

Known issue

I'd prefer the top menu to auto-popup on hovering over it to avoid that one necessary click.

We used to have that during internal testing, but there's a really bad defect with it in some IE browsers and we can't re-activate it until IPS fixes it

Also I'd like to have mouse over hottips on the forum icons. I have no idea what some of them mean (yellow vs. blue folders).

These will eventually be changing - they are just the IP.Board defaults. Either way though there's always a key at the bottom of the page. Once you know, you know.

Wouldn't it be possible to put some of the profile info on the top line of someones post like in the old Gamedev? This could reduce a bit of the profile info's height on the left side.

It should be possible, yes. We're still experimenting with layouts and will be for the next few weeks.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

RSS feeds seem to be broken. Only getting news from 2001...
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

What's with all that Web 2.0 crap? Facebook, Twitter, etc. That feels kinda unprofessional. It feels like "we added everything which wasn't on a tree in three seconds".

That seems a bit inconsistent. It's unprofessional because it's web 2.0? Or because it's similar to FaceBook? Neither of those are unprofessional, or uncomplimentary things to say about GD.
I don't really understand why people are so bothered by the social networking icons - they are not exactly intrusive and it's probably quite nice for some people to be able to share to Facebook - none of my FB friends are computer types so they'd just find it weird if I did but I'm sure not everyone is the same.

I'd personally far rather see member reputation under their Group, rather than number of posts and date they joined - far more useful information to me. I'm in the camp of wanting down-rates back but I don't think this is going to happen and it isn't worth worrying about.

(Unless anyone wants to join me in a movement to create our own system via the signatures? We just add our reputations to our signatures with rate up and down links that email us and all promise to be super-honest about it. What could go wrong? :))

I'm loving the new journal (journal, damnit, not blog) features and think journals look a lot more professional now and are far easier to use. It's great that these are now free as I'm sure it will lead to far, far more interesting content than dross.

I didn't like the WYSIWYG editor so big deal - I disabled it. The new tags are far easier to use than the old weird mix of tags and HTML that we had in the old site. Multiquote is great as well.

I was going to moan about the lack of links in posts to journals, showcase etc like we had but then just created a signature instead. Sorted.
RSS feeds are a known issue.

Member rep will be included in post information.

I can access your gallery images and journal via the buttons under your avatar.

Again, everyone remember that it hasn't even been a week yet, we're still load balancing the servers, and there's a lot of work yet to be done. Looks like the servers are running pretty well right now...

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Posting history feature has gone? (I mean when all the posts can be seen not just a few)

Member rep will be included in post information.

Cool.

I can access your gallery images and journal via the buttons under your avatar.

Oh yeah, duh! :)

Posting history feature has gone? (I mean when all the posts can be seen not just a few)

It exists, but it's currently bugged. Go to your profile and hit the "Find My Content" button underneath your photo.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement