What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Started by
486 comments, last by GameDev.net 13 years ago

Another question, since about a week every time I change to a new forum (or back to the forum list) my browser (IE8) gets stuck for a few seconds accessing gamedev.us.intellitext.com. That's rather annoying as well.
Would be nice if you could look into that. There doesn't seem to be anything useful at the URL.

Sounds like for the intellitext ads. I'd submit a bug on it and see if that's something we can tweak.

What annoys me is the white pop-out menu underneath your profile. It reveals itself momentarily for every page load.

Yea that's one of the small things we're all just dealing with now as we still tackle larger issues.

On reflection, I think it's merely that I can't stand Arial in smallish sizes and in large doses. I'm experimenting with a custom user stylesheet on top of the GDNet theme and for me just changing the fonts of the post_body to Verdana makes the site a whole heap easier to read.

Actually there was a bit of debate among the staff between Verdana and Arial that never resolved itself. We used to use Verdana on the old site and IPS just set default to Arial. If you want to start a poll...

Personally, my biggest font gripe right now is that the font for the code is too large. This might be a side effect of losing screen real estate to the stupid white bars on either side, but a significantly larger fraction of source code posted now requires horizontal scrolling.

I actually went digging for that in the CSS but couldn't find it - my CSS-fu is weak. If anyone can point me to that line/file I will go in and change it. I think it's at 11pt now or something and could def be knocked down to 10pt at least

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
After first being shocked by the change of layout, I have to say I got used to it very quickly.

I did notice one usability problem, admittedly a pretty minor one, but it should also be trivial to fix: In the forum view, in the list of threads, very long threads with multiple pages do not show direct links to all pages. That part is obviously necessary when threads, such as this one, become overly long. However, it's unfortunate that the shown direct links are 1, 2, 3, and last only. It seems much more appropriate to show links to 1, last-2, last-1, last, because generally, at least I will either want to read the entire thread (starting at page 1), or read up on the latest posts. I can't think of a reason for going directly to pages 2 or 3 (unless they happen to be among the last pages, of course).
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
I actually went digging for that in the CSS but couldn't find it - my CSS-fu is weak. If anyone can point me to that line/file I will go in and change it. I think it's at 11pt now or something and could def be knocked down to 10pt at least
Different browsers do this slightly differently, but presuming you have IE to hand you can find this sort of thing out by pressing F12 to bring up the developer tools, click the small cursor icon on the left of the HTML tab, then click a code source box to jump to it in the DOM tree on the left. Switch to the Trace Styles tab on the right and expand font-size to find that the source code block font size is set by PRE.prettyprint in ipb_common.css.

Or, for the short version: see line 62 of ipb_common.css.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

[font="Impact"]I'm a whiner :)

Is it really useful to be able to chose a font for replies? It's really awkward to read if some people use this.

See what I mean?

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Or, for the short version: see line 62 of ipb_common.css.

Awesome thanks. Font size is now 10pt and line spacing has been reduced to 115%

[font="Impact"]I'm a whiner :)

Is it really useful to be able to chose a font for replies? It's really awkward to read if some people use this.

See what I mean? [/font]

We have no control over font. If someone decides to be like this, well then they'll probably not find a lot of help or cooperation around here so the problems will more often than not fix themselves.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

If someone decides to be like this, well then they'll probably not find a lot of help or cooperation around here so the problems will more often than not fix themselves.

*cough*negative-ratings-for-posts*cough*
Why does code appear in one line? It's sooo annoying.
Can I change this?

Example
No you can't change it, it's a known issue that we have yet to resolve.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I use to visit the old GameDev often and it had recent forum post at the top, which makes sense since it is constantly changing. It made it easy to see what running forum topics i might be interested in but with the new site it's all the way at the bottom? Why would u put something which is the most dynamic ie new forum postings and image of the day at the very bottom, while the things at the very top (new job postings and new resources) change the least.. Ive not seen a new job posting or new resource posting in the last 2 weeks.. Anyways overall I'm finding that i don't visit GameDev much anymore.. too cumbersome and slow loading now.. esp with all the dynamic data at bottom.. I hope they change it..

-ddn
Use this link

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement