What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Started by
486 comments, last by GameDev.net 13 years ago

Seriously can we get like an ETA on the IOTD? I loved that thing and it feels like such a void every time I come here and see that same picture of the Esenthel Engine (which don't get me wrong is a cool picture, just it's the only one ever there anymore).

Last I heard, we were waiting on Invision releasing the next version of their gallery, which is supposed to happen sometime next month.
Advertisement

[quote name='Funkymunky' timestamp='1297738970' post='4774338']
Seriously can we get like an ETA on the IOTD? I loved that thing and it feels like such a void every time I come here and see that same picture of the Esenthel Engine (which don't get me wrong is a cool picture, just it's the only one ever there anymore).

Last I heard, we were waiting on Invision releasing the next version of their gallery, which is supposed to happen sometime next month.
[/quote]

They told us it would be released sometime this month but they are still doing beta testing. Our preference is not to build up the IOTD on the crusty old POS gallery that exists now when the new one is much more modernized. So I assume any day now..

But IOTD *will* be back.
There's a problem with the profile dropdown menu. It is always initially visible when the page loads. It used to disappear after a few seconds. Now GDNet is loading slow and the menu remains visible forever. I think it should be set to visibility: hidden initially.

There's a problem with the profile dropdown menu. It is always initially visible when the page loads. It used to disappear after a few seconds. Now GDNet is loading slow and the menu remains visible forever. I think it should be set to visibility: hidden initially.

It's already been documented.

I proposed a fix, but it hasn't been addressed yet.

It appears to be a javascript order-of-execution thing. If your page loads slowly, you are probably on older hardware or using a slightly out of date browser (like me on both counts).

I have the problem at home (Athlon 2500, Firefox 3.0), but not at work (Athlon 3000+, Firefox 3.6).

I proposed a fix, but it hasn't been addressed yet.

It's been shoved into the "Post-GDC" bin with a ton of other stuff.

Oh BTW you specifically should read my latest journal post - I think you'll like the link I have in there to an upcoming IPBoard feature as much as I do :)

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I liked the old one more (I just cant get used to new one), anyway in last month I tested it in several browsers and here are the most common problems:

The drop down box remains and after loading is not hidden (I think I had this problem in Rekonq, Konqueror and once or twice also in Firefox and Opera ... strange is no IE issues)
Once or twice the drop down menu (Community, Resources and Features) didn't work (in Rekonq)
The site loaded wrongly (design was broken) - probably issue when downloading (so maybe not your problem), although it happened several times in Rekonq and Opera (though it happened only on WiFi network, so I'd blame the WiFi, not you ... you know what I mean)

Except the long-discussed things (like no IOTD etc.) I didn't encountered any other problem. Good work, people!

OT: Anyway I think that activity here on site died a bit after transition to new design.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised at the reaction to the new design when I think about it now. People really did have a loooong time to get comfortable with all the old site had to offer. This is technically the 5th site iteration from a design perspective but from a code base perspective this is really only the second in eleven years. Along with the major design revisions (v2, v3, etc) the code base revisions were mere point changes rather than whole version changes.

There's also the layout issue besides the whole new way of using the site that people have had to deal with. I hope that because we haven't been actively tweaking the layout lately people don't think we've reached a point where we're satisfied with the way things look. Far from it, we have much more visual design iterations to go through once we get past GDC and can focus solely on the site and not so much on GDC business/coverage.

Anyways to address your problems, they are all documented already in some form or another so you're right that they are indeed common annoyances. Hopefully we can fix that user dropdown menu as one of the first minor tweaks although I've noticed the entire site, even the admin sections, behave this way - all the elements load open and then close once the page is loaded. Blaugh.

Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I like the site overall but I find the menu really annoying. Why do I have to click on the arrow to popup the menu let it be just an onHover instead (not only is it more intuitive but you don't have to use javascript to do it. CSS menus FTW).

I like the site overall but I find the menu really annoying. Why do I have to click on the arrow to popup the menu let it be just an onHover instead (not only is it more intuitive but you don't have to use javascript to do it. CSS menus FTW).

We originally had this functionality but found it to be horribly broken under IE. I think even the current menus can still be finicky under IE. We'll have to wait for IPS to clean this up so we can use it again.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Do you know what's missing? The emoticon of the post. All posts are serious now.

On another note, where are the links to the hosted sites?

EDIT: Lies I found it!
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement