What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Started by
486 comments, last by GameDev.net 13 years ago
[font="Arial"]I'm liking the new site and forums. Sure wouldn't mind having a dark theme, though.

This is a new account btw; thought it was time to finally change. I used to be LockePick (it was a looooooong time ago I made that account...)

[size="2"]Pixelante

Advertisement

If I'm not wrong I used to have 1240.. Thanks god now I got 1.
Yep, your old profile says 1247.
Strange... my new reputation is exactly my old rating minus 1000.
I'm curious why reputation doesn't show up on your posts? It certainly seems like a relevant piece of information when trying to judge the quality of answer you receive from someone, more so than number of posts or joined date.

Seems like there would plenty of white space to fit this little piece of information, I guess it was deliberately decided to not show it? Seems like a strange choice.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game

Yep, your old profile says 1247.
Strange... my new reputation is exactly my old rating minus 1000.

It looks like all of the moderators and staff members also reverted to zero. I claim that because owl changed his name from "xaxa" to "owl" on the old forums at some point that the code used to migrate the ratings lost track of his.

[font="Arial"]I'm liking the new site and forums. Sure wouldn't mind having a dark theme, though.

This is a new account btw; thought it was time to finally change. I used to be LockePick (it was a looooooong time ago I made that account...)

Speaking of which, it looks as though you can change your posting name on the forums pretty easily. You may want to try this on your old account as long as you want to keep all of your old posts and stuff.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

As for poll and what's wrong with them:

A site should be tailored to it's definition, and it's content should reflect this. GameDev.net I would assume would be a site about game development. If we're talking forums here, it should be questions and answers on how to approach certain aspects, be it programming, art, etc. I guess it comes down to my opinion, that outside of very specialized instances, polls are really nothing more than a Lounge addition. And while the Lounge is a nice place to post off topic threads, I guess I don't really see it as being the main reason for visiting this site. (Yes, I haven't posted outside the Lounge in awhile, but mainly what I want to ask has been asked, and I've found it while searching the forums, or the questions I feel I'm qualified to answer have already been answered by another person. Just because my posting stays in the Lounge does not necessarily equate to the Lounge being my main area of focus on this site.)

The polls are similar to a lot of other additions. They look great and give the site a more recent look and appeal, but at the same time, they detract from the actual game development aspects of the site imho. While I have my opinions on such, it wouldn't feel right to rate the site's effectiveness. Maybe it's just because I was too comfortable with the previous GameDev, or am just getting old an afraid of new things.

How exactly do polls detract from topics about game development? There are several cases where polls are a valuable tool for easily comparing data, especially in the Game Design Forum. It isn't like all the tech forums are doing to suddenly become thread after thread of "Trumped up Teen Idol A vs Fake Teen Idol B" or something like that.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
GDNet needs it's own custom smilies. I'll even make a few of them if needed (we could have a community smiley contribution contest). Don't use the generic ones! They are too commonly used everywhere else online.
Also, please consider shrinking down the size of the smilies, so using one doesn't double the vertical space a sentence requires, which results in awkward spacing of lines.

As way2lazy2care posted on page 3, you need to hit multiquote, and then hit the Add Reply button at the bottom of the page and not just the Reply button. Also, I've found that you need to run GameDev in compatibility mode with IE9. As I've previously posted, there are way too many formatting errors with the site if you don't run it and it really becomes difficult to use the forums.

I read that, and understand that. It just isn't working for me. smile.gif When I click 'MultiQuote', it automatically opens the Reply window - I don't get to click a second 'MultiQuote', let alone click 'Add Reply' at the bottom. Just tried compatibility mode, still didn't work. My own fault, however, since I'm running beta software. tongue.gif
Works fine in Google Chrome though - I finally took the time (all 5 minutes of it!) to redownload it.
...And the sig spam has already begun: horror

We either need to disallow images in signatures or add some kind of setting to let us block them in sigs only. Otherwise I'm going to have to start turning off signatures altogether, which I don't really want to do.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

How exactly do polls detract from topics about game development? There are several cases where polls are a valuable tool for easily comparing data, especially in the Game Design Forum. It isn't like all the tech forums are doing to suddenly become thread after thread of "Trumped up Teen Idol A vs Fake Teen Idol B" or something like that.

I wouldn't necessarily state that they detract directly, but rather, they don't add anything of significant importance. Even in game design, I tend to view it in more of a flowing exchange rather than fixed. Polls are fixed, ideas aren't. If you were to say post several different ideas of game design, or post several pictures in the art forum asking which people preferred, they may come back with ways of improvement. Also, you heavily rely upon the author to word the poll correctly. It's one thing for a political discussion to have "Who are you going to vote for, A or B?" where there are only 2 choices, but if you're trying for more qualititative answers, none, or even all of the answers may be relevant. As such, polls in my opinion detract indirectly from the forums. While I appreciate aesthetics as much as the next person, I am looking for a sight that is direct to the point as well as easy to use. There is such a thing as adding too much glitz, which I feel I'm not the only person who is seeing this in the new design.
Shiny! New forums! My only complaint thus far is that there isn't a way to down vote posts to give negative reputation, but the forums allow you to 5-star rate a user in addition to the positive reputation.

[font="Arial"]I used to be LockePick (it was a looooooong time ago I made that account...)

What?
_fastcall is evolving!
_fastcall has evolved into fastcall22.
fastcall22 is trying to learn "Alias Consistency," but cannot learn more than 4 moves.
Forget a move to learn "Alias Consistency"?
1, 2, and.... POOF.
fastcall22 forgot "old typo'd name" and learned "Alias Consistency."

fastcall22 used Alias Consistency.
Critical hit!
It's super-effective!
Enemy old nickname fainted.

(Gain 220 exp. fastcall22 grew to level 22!)
[size="1"]+22 ATK +10 DEF +6 MAG +4 RES

...And the sig spam has already begun: horror

At least it's not as bad as some of the others I've come across...

Coincidentally, there's an option in the Settings page that will hide others' signatures for you... But a lot of members here have minimal signatures with useful (self-advertisement) links to cool stuff they've done; such as yours. :)
I like the new look a lot. Here's a few things that came to mind on initial impressions:
  • There's no alt-text when hovering over a link to a thread to preview the first couple of sentences of a thread. I usually use this a lot when I browse forums and it's a very welcome feature. It's not really super important on gamedev.net though, I suppose.
  • There's quite a bit of whitespace. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it probably contributes to the slick look, but I generally dislike excessive wasted space. I'm on my 24" monitor right now so it's fine, but I'll have to see how it works on my netbook.
  • I wouldn't mind having the person's overall rating displayed with every post, like it used to be.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement