Sign in to follow this  
cowsarenotevil

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Personally I think it's kinda cool though I don't like drastic changes. I wish they would have slowly transitioned into the new layout instead of just completely changing everything. Also it kinda has a pre-built template feel to it. I don't know what do you guys think about it?

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1294590159' post='4756024']
Personally I think it's kinda cool though I don't like drastic changes. I wish they would have slowly transitioned into the new layout instead of just completely changing everything. Also it kinda has a pre-built template feel to it. I don't know what do you guys think about it?
[/quote]
First impression: I like it, very slick!

The only thing that's bothering me at the moment is that the "Recent Threads"-box is so far down the frontpage. For me, it is one of the most important elements of the site. I really liked being able to see the latest discussions at a glance.

All in all, the new layout seems to take up more space. You could say that the old one was using screen space more efficiently. But I guess this can be somewhat fixed by adjusting the font size.

[quote]The only thing that's bothering me at the moment is that the "Recent Threads"-box is so far down the frontpage. For me, it is one of the most important elements of the site. I really liked being able to see the latest discussions at a glance[/quote]

Agreed. The new layout is nice, but I would also prefer if this were closer to the top again.

I think it's really neat. It'll take some getting used to from the old design, but I think it's great.

However the reputation system going into post count isn't amazing - it's difficult to tell if someone's an old member or a really good answerer (which I've found on other sites; very often people have spammed their way to huge post counts, seeming knowledgeable and actually useless)

[quote name='cowsarenotevil' timestamp='1294590079' post='4756023']
This is extremely spiffy, but I am still highly disoriented. Also, those blue feedback tabs always look like "facebook" to me.

EDIT: Are the user ratings gone forever? I kind of hope so, but then again, kind of not.
[/quote]

you have [size=2][size="2"][b]Reputation: 584[/b][/size][size="2"]Excellent[/size][/size]
[size="2"]so no, it's not gone, but it changed. like everything..[/size]

[quote name='The Communist Duck' timestamp='1294590795' post='4756032']
I think it's really neat. It'll take some getting used to from the old design, but I think it's great.

However the reputation system going into post count isn't amazing - it's difficult to tell if someone's an old member or a really good answerer (which I've found on other sites; very often people have spammed their way to huge post counts, seeming knowledgeable and actually useless)
[/quote]

In my opinion I am very happy they got rid of the old rating system because even posting a thread like this in the lounge would make my rating drop. However, I think they should have had a rating system where users can only rate each other up. This way you would know if someone was a really helpful poster but you would not have people down rating each other over silly things like they used to.

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1294591451' post='4756036']
In my opinion I am very happy they got rid of the old rating system because even posting a thread like this in the lounge would make my rating drop. However, I think they should have had a rating system where users can only rate each other up. This way you would know if someone was a really helpful poster but you would not have people down rating each other over silly things like they used to.
[/quote]

they have. i have a reputation allready. yours is 0 :) no clue how to increase it, though.. how does it work?!

edit: ah, one can vote up posts. that's nice.

edit2: yes, voted your post, and you got a reputation of 1.

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1294590159' post='4756024']
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat, so much change so fast scares me. The features seem cool though. I will miss the rating system.

New profile system is pretty cool though. I especially like the ability to attach files to your profile.

hey everyone! Just letting you all know I'm cooking up another blog post to go up in the next few days covering the major changes that you will all be dealing with, however I'm sitting back and listening to conversations like these to decide exactly what I need to cover. So keep exploring, keep asking questions and keep submitting feedback and I will be addressing all of it in the days and weeks to come!!

[quote name='davepermen' timestamp='1294591841' post='4756040']
Just rate the posts now. Better than rating persons.
[/quote]

Just saw that now, up to posts, topics, and you get personal ratings on members too. Pretty slick.

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1294592384' post='4756050']
Awesome I can upload a profile picture without needing a GDNet+ membership!
[/quote]

How'd you do that? I only get access to 3 pre-installed avatars.

[quote name='ChurchSkiz' timestamp='1294592957' post='4756055']
How'd you do that? I only get access to 3 pre-installed avatars.
[/quote]

Psh... like I'd tell you... =P

Just create an Album and set a picture to be your profile picture.

Interesting; the topics have been merged but I seem to have commandeered this one, which was originally started by SteveDeFacto. It makes some sense since my post was made earlier, but since it was originally a reply to the other thread it's a bit weird to have this thread "started by" me.

I'm very confused... Why does it say cowsarenotevil started this thread?! [img]http://public.gamedev.net/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif[/img]

Either I'm going crazy or something strange is going on here... I'm pretty sure I rememder starting this thread... lol

There were two new site design threads in the lounge and they got merged into a single thread. It looks like what happened is that cowsarenotevil started his first thread first so he got credit for starting the combined thread.