• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cowsarenotevil

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

487 posts in this topic

[quote name='phantom' timestamp='1294790153' post='4757445']
No one is suggesting that the community be completely self moderated, however at the same time I maintain that the community should be able to indicate to someone that they are stepping outside of what the community wants.[/quote]
If only there were a way for people to tell people that they were carrying themselves poorly. Perhaps this feature could be implemented in such a way that the thing that offended them could be included in how the offenders are told so they know specifically what was said. Perhaps there could even be a link to the original post in that so they can go back and look in context. To make sure they really feel the impact you could make it visible to the whole community. It should of course be closely tied somehow, perhaps it could exist in the same thread as the original post.

If only there were some way to have this sort of functionality in the new system!

[quote]The old rating system was brought in towards the start of 2005, some years before you joined it would seem, and I recall a very quick improvement in the overall quality of the forums as suddenly both positive and negative actions had some form of recourse from the community. This was a good thing, this has now been removed. As a student of human nature this worries me frankly.
[/quote]
Again it comes down to what you want the reputation to signify. Do you want it to be a number to stick on how agreeable and popular you are, which no person past high school should care about, or do you want a number that signifies how helpful or technically inclined you are, which isn't well served by negative feedback outside of moderation in extreme situations.

Having had a couple days to think about it, reading the rationale behind some of it, and with the UI tweaks, I think I can now change to 'Do Want'. Tenatively.

Tuppence on ratings: whilst I like the idea of being able to search for highly rated posts, and can see why that would be useful alone, I think there is utility in being able to downvote a post to indicate to other users (the asker, people coming via search engines) anything that's inaccurate rather than simply not so very helpful that it gets rated up from 0 - a sort of floor effect.

It makes me sad to see that haters won't be able to rate down anyone anymore when they feel uncomfortable with someone else's opinion.

I'm so sad...

Frankly I couldn't care less about whether or not post votes influence reputation, but the inability to vote stuff down is stupid. At the very least you should be able to correct your own mistakes or change your damn mind.

Also apparently there are quotas to how many upvotes you can do in a day, since I just ran into mine. I didn't even vote that many posts. What the heck is up with that?

It feels more cluttered than the old system.

Would like less information being available by default. Post headings are enough for me, if the poster don't make good headings then bugger em.

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1294752611' post='4757241']
The largest problem with the old system is that people were using the ratings as a disagree button, as an indicator of helpfulness/technical knowledge, and as an attitude meter. Having three very loosely related things tied to a single number makes it impossible to know why someone has a low rating. If people were in some way held accountable for why they rated someone down then the rating system would be better.
[/quote]
I never used it like that. I only rated people down who were being legitimate buttheads.

[quote name='Mike.Popoloski' timestamp='1294807126' post='4757554']
Also apparently there are quotas to how many upvotes you can do in a day, since I just ran into mine. I didn't even vote that many posts. What the heck is up with that?
[/quote]
Have not been able to dig up this setting in the ACP at all. How many votes did it say you did? Or if it didn't tell you how many would you say you've done (best guess if you can't be precise)

The way I saw it (okay, I'm not an old member) the people were rated more because of their style, not the actual content (I'm talking about rating in the lounge). Ant that is an important thing IMHO. Posts on gamedev always seemed so professional. The kthxby shit only comes from newbies and disappears quickly. So as poorly formatted posts and trolling.

The only time I was rated down was because of my style, not my opinion. I had crazy/stupid opinions, but I wasn't rated down. I was a harsh prick, I got rated down. Trolling gets rated down most of the times. Okay, I'm not one of the old guys, but I always experienced that.

I only rated down people if they deserved it: being an idiot troll (no matter of their opinions: shit, mine changes all the time!).
Or being lazy helpless "give me code" "I have no idea to solve it" type people, and only if they don't change (there are some helpless guys who flood the forums will tons of trivial questions. I rate them down, they are not helping others just asking for help from others)

And yes, I want my 1428 back, it looks damn good.

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1294815848' post='4757577']
Have not been able to dig up this setting in the ACP at all. How many votes did it say you did? Or if it didn't tell you how many would you say you've done (best guess if you can't be precise)
[/quote]

10 I think he mentioned on IRC.

[quote name='cowsarenotevil' timestamp='1294597863' post='4756107']
Another question. Are the contests gone?
[/quote]
Just realized this was never answered I don't think. Like many things, they are gone for a while but will come back as we continue to work on the site. It's also more a question of having someone to take charge of them more than it is infrastructure,

[quote name='Eleventy' timestamp='1294604516' post='4756205']
Overall I like the new layout. However, I think the forum posts would look much better without the dark lines between them. Please see the following image to see what I mean:

[img]http://www.joshuapilkington.com/gamedev/Eleventy/Suggestion.01.png[/img]

[/quote]
I just went back to [url="http://archive.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=592463"]the old site for a look[/url] and the post seperator bar is almost twice the size there than it is here, so it's already an improvement. We need demarcation between posts. Running them all together isn't going to make things easier to read.

I ask again, maybe I'm wrong, but is the line-spacing bigger than the old one? Something between 1 and 1.5 (units in Office Word).

[attachment=966:text spacing.png]
New forums on the left, old on the right. IMO the difference is there but negligible

[attachment=967:text spacing.png]
left:old, right new.

Maybe it's just details, but the new is approximately 10/9 times more spacey. And that does count I think.

EDIT: Sorry, i wanted to edit the post, not to post a new one.

[quote name='szecs' timestamp='1294818694' post='4757603']
...approximately 10/9 times...
[/quote]
No idea what this means, but I still don't see any appreciable difference

Don't forget that failing to convince me doesn't mean I won't be outvoted by the rest of the staff, but IMO this text-spacing thing is not an issue worth any attention

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1294820111' post='4757611']
No idea what this means, but I still don't see any appreciable difference[/quote]
10% increase in the size per line. Left side seems to contain 11 newlines compared to the right's 10 in the same space, despite using fonts of apparently identical height (although differing wideness). Wouldn't hurt to bump it down a bit... you've currently got:

ipb_styles.css:2678
[code].post_body {
margin-left: 235px;
line-height: 100%;
}

.post_block.no_sidebar .post_body {
margin-left: 0px;
}

.post_body .post {
margin-top: 3px;
padding: 10px;
line-height: 150%; /* <--- chrome says this is being matched, and it looks bloody ugly */
}
[/code]

[url="http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_line-height"]The intertubes[/url] tells me browsers default to 110-120%, and I wouldn't mind it as low as 100% with this font. A preview (current 150% vs 100%):
[img]http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1103/clipboardy.png[/img]

Plus the current font looks smaller than the old, despite the same height (9 px in the image I posted). I seem to be finical and old-is-perfect/new-is-sux, but it does count to me. I don't see too well, so I have to increase the size of the new font to make it as readable as the old one. So even bigger vertical space...

Don't do anything about it, if I'm the only one with this of course.

Edit: left click on an image should open in in a new tab IMHO.

[quote name='szecs' timestamp='1294818694' post='4757603']
[attachment=967:text spacing.png]
left:old, right new.

Maybe it's just details, but the new is approximately 10/9 times more spacey. And that does count I think.

EDIT: Sorry, i wanted to edit the post, not to post a new one.
[/quote]

Trying to do a more apples to apples comparison here. First, a post on the old site vs. the same text using the default font on the new site:

[attachment=968:compare.jpg]

Next, a post on the old site vs. the same text and Verdana on the new site:

[attachment=969:compare1.jpg]

[quote name='Dave Astle' timestamp='1294823195' post='4757627']
Trying to do a more apples to apples comparison here...
[/quote]
I just tried what you did myself but opened the old post version in a separate window and then sized it down to match the horizontal space we have for posts on this forum and [i]then[/i] I finally noticed a difference. Again, small but at least this time I could see it instead of thinking I was imagining it.

[quote name='MaulingMonkey' timestamp='1294822431' post='4757623']
[url="http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_line-height"]The intertubes[/url] tells me browsers default to 110-120%, and I wouldn't mind it as low as 100% with this font.
[/quote]
I suppose I would be willing to try out 125% and see what people think. The 100% is definitely too close together. People who complain about the white site burning their eyes out late at night are going to have the same problem focusing tired and bleary eyes on closely-spaced text even if it's on a darker background.

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1294824144' post='4757632']
Since you're comparing multiple lines, did you size the width of the old forum post to match the fixed-width of the new forum post?
[/quote]

No, since that wouldn't affect the vertical line spacing. I just adjusted it so that the total number of lines per paragraph was the same.

rats didn't finish editing my last post fast enough. If you compare with the same widths, you'll see that the old version does fit in the same amount of text in a noticeably lesser amount of vertical space.

[attachment=971:spacing.png]
This is the old post sized the same width and then matched from the top of the text

In other words, I stand corrected

[quote name='Dave Astle' timestamp='1294823195' post='4757627']
Trying to do a more apples to apples comparison here.[/quote]

Hmm. Is your zoom on both sites at 100%?
[img]http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5485/clipboardv.png[/img]
Even with more newlines on the old left theme (whoops, overcompensated), it's shorter by a good bit at 100% zoom with chrome.

[quote name='szecs' timestamp='1294825745' post='4757643']
Okay, I'm lame, but how can I change the displayed fonts with my browser?[/quote]
Depends on the browser. I'm using chrome's built in developer tools to [b]temporarily[/b] change mine for experimentation. There are plugins (and sometimes browser support) for "user/custom stylesheets" or greasemonkey scripts which can be used to make more permanent changes on your own end if it's not going to be fixed site-side.

EDIT: [url="http://archive.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=592406"]Old[/url] vs [url="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/592406-the-drm-sweet-spot/"]New[/url] links for people wanting to do their own comparisons/fiddlings, since I have them handy.