• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cowsarenotevil

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

487 posts in this topic

Well it's certainly different. ;)

It looks pretty clean from what I've seen in my brief spin around the new site. My biggest gripe - and this is actually pretty major - is that I'm finding it significantly harder to read the actual content of the threads. It might be due to a combination of the new choice of font with the spacing. I haven't yet found if there are any alternative stylesheets or font choices that could fix this - if so that would help alleviate the only major issue I have so far.

(Apologies if this has already been mentioned ad nauseam earlier in the thread - I haven't read much of it.)

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1295543240' post='4761920']
[quote name='MaulingMonkey' timestamp='1295516794' post='4761751']
Also about 10-15 upvotes since the site went back live on the new system.
[/quote]
You're saying you got that after 10-15 upvotes??
[/quote]
Aye. At least this one eventually cleared itself (I've been able to upvote posts since then.)

[b]ERROR[/b]

see my last reply here
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/593451-classical-music-makes-me-eerily-productive/

I inserted 5 links to youtube files (just copied the links, not inserted as media) + I get the message, trying to addd to much media files (or something)
I had to stick (quote)(/quote) around that part of the post for it to work

[quote name='Trapper Zoid' timestamp='1295581831' post='4762218']
My biggest gripe - and this is actually pretty major - is that I'm finding it significantly harder to read the actual content of the threads. It might be due to a combination of the new choice of font with the spacing.
[/quote]
Yea this has been a big gripe. I personally can't understand it, so it's been pretty hard for me to help fix. But Kevin Hawkins has been messing around the most with the site stylesheets so I would suggest dropping him a PM to talk about it in depth.

@zedz - file an issue on this. Here is more about general discussion.

I like the new tech. but i feel a bit disoriented. It does seem almost social-network-ish...

The biggest problem I see is the fact that the IOTD is still not working. That's one of the primary things that keeps me coming back to the site; I love checking out people's screenshots.

holy crap there's a twitter button in my formatting options...

This looks fierce fancy all together.

Will have to start leaving the lounge open in work, in the name of drastically reduced work ethics everywhere.

[quote name='d000hg' timestamp='1294650619' post='4756562']
How do I delete a post? I can't see an option when editing my post.[/quote]
I was wondering this also. Is there a 'delete' option? It might be right in front of me, but I can't seem to find it anywhere (and I didn't find any mention of it in the thread aside from the above post).

[quote name='jyk' timestamp='1295835206' post='4763707']
[quote name='d000hg' timestamp='1294650619' post='4756562']
How do I delete a post? I can't see an option when editing my post.[/quote]
I was wondering this also. Is there a 'delete' option? It might be right in front of me, but I can't seem to find it anywhere (and I didn't find any mention of it in the thread aside from the above post).
[/quote]
Could you delete posts on the old forums? Currently, looking at the permissions settings, members can't delete their own posts or topics. I think we had this disabled on the old boards too after a while when people started removing threads that they felt weren't relevant to them anymore (cleaning up bad history) but actually were to many other people. So not sure if these are default IPS settings I'm looking at or not.

Oh yes, IOTD. We Epic Failed on that huh? Seriously - none of us knew it was this popular I swear or we would have put more thought into it for the transition. Currently we're looking at post-GDC for two reasons - 1) the new Gallery software, which is a complete overhaul, isn't out yet from IPS though their CEO has actually told us within the next "few weeks" and 2) there's just so much we have to get ready in time for GDC that is taking priority.

However due to the mass of IOTD requests, if the new Gallery software [i]does[/i] come out prior to GDC we will try our hardest to get that in place and active before GDC if possible.

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1295847073' post='4763755']
Could you delete posts on the old forums?[/quote]
I think so, but, things change :) (I just asked because I accidentally posted a reply to the wrong thread and was trying to delete it.)

Regarding the "flashy" new stuff:

Is it known that the menu on top is annoyingly borked? Meaning the menu only popups on a click and then directly closes animated. Means I have to click on "Forums" fast before the dang thing is gone again.
Also, I f***ing hate animated gimmick crappery like the image preview script. Why the f* does it have to be animated and make me wait to see the picture? Are computers too fast today?

Other than that things work and look pretty nice. The vertical space problem seems to be properly cleaned up. Keep up the good work!

[quote name='jyk' timestamp='1295847451' post='4763758']
[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1295847073' post='4763755']
Could you delete posts on the old forums?[/quote]
I think so, but, things change :) (I just asked because I accidentally posted a reply to the wrong thread and was trying to delete it.)
[/quote]
For now, report the post and we'll clean it up. We can also move posts to other threads so if this happens in the future rather than posting a new reply just report the post and ask for it to be moved into the proper thread.

[quote name='Endurion' timestamp='1295848338' post='4763761']
Is it known that the menu on top is annoyingly borked? Meaning the menu only popups on a click and then directly closes animated. Means I have to click on "Forums" fast before the dang thing is gone again.
Also, I f***ing hate animated gimmick crappery like the image preview script. Why the f* does it have to be animated and make me wait to see the picture? Are computers too fast today?
[/quote]
If you think that's bad, unfortunately the hover-down menus are broken even worse - especially in IE. May I suggest a bookmark instead of frustrating yourself with the menu? Just [url="http://www.gamedev.net/hub/community"]bookmark this page[/url] and you'll have links to all the community resources.

Not sure what you mean by "animated image preview script" - you mean the lightboxes?

I used to visit this site back in 2010 before I signed up this year. I almost didn't recognize it until I started reading the forum names. Looks good though, more legit.

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1295899074' post='4764094']
Not sure what you mean by "animated image preview script" - you mean the lightboxes?
[/quote]

Sorry for being harsh before, I just got annoyed.

I meant the script when you click on embedded images. The screen is covered in a transparent black and a white frame jitters to the center, grows and then finally finally the picture is shown.

[i]Disclaimer: maybe it's just me.[/i]

Okay, I realize it might not be top priority, but this has been bugging me for quite a while now. The way it is now, that featured article rotation thingy is just plain ugly. Layout wise this should be an eye catcher on the home page, but it just doesn't look attractive at all. And it's too busy and confusing to convey any information quickly.

[img]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1053/image1daj.png[/img]

Perhaps I'm being too harsh. I still love you guys! :)

[quote name='Endurion' timestamp='1295947435' post='4764377']
I meant the script when you click on embedded images. The screen is covered in a transparent black and a white frame jitters to the center, grows and then finally finally the picture is shown.
[/quote]
Yea, lightbox. Ok maybe there's something that can be done to tone down the animation (I could see it maybe running slow on older comps?) but in general I love them. Especially when you have a post with multiple images, you just click open one and can browse through them all with the arrow keys at a larger size. People have argued for the ability to open images in a new window and I wonder if we can't add some functionality to allow that - probably a middle click. I can admit it can be annoying for one image, but we can't discern between posts with one image (disable lightbox) and posts with multiple images (enable lightbox). And by "we can't" I mean that's just the way IPS works.

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1296013953' post='4764873']
[/quote]
Yea, lightbox. Ok maybe there's something that can be done to tone down the animation (I could see it maybe running slow on older comps?) but in general I love them. Especially when you have a post with multiple images, you just click open one and can browse through them all with the arrow keys at a larger size. People have argued for the ability to open images in a new window and I wonder if we can't add some functionality to allow that - probably a middle click. I can admit it can be annoying for one image, but we can't discern between posts with one image (disable lightbox) and posts with multiple images (enable lightbox). And by "we can't" I mean that's just the way IPS works.
[/quote]

IMO, light boxes are [b]extremely[/b] annoying. So much so, I stopped opening images attached to post all together...

I prefer images to open in a new tab... or perhaps give us the option to use lightboxes or not.

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1296013953' post='4764873']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong :)
The browsing images part is completely fine and dandy. Just the white border thingy, I just don't see why it has to be animated at all.

Also, saw the profile info popups. Very nice!

Like I said - a new tab option might be feasible. Also I see various "types" of lightboxes around the 'net, some of which snap open right away. So I think we should be able to modify ours? These are all things we'll be considering over the next few weeks. A lot we won't be able to get to until after GDC however.

Thanks, I'm happy when you at least consider it ;)

Another question, since about a week every time I change to a new forum (or back to the forum list) my browser (IE8) gets stuck for a few seconds accessing gamedev.us.intellitext.com. That's rather annoying as well.
Would be nice if you could look into that. There doesn't seem to be anything useful at the URL.

What annoys me is the white pop-out menu underneath your profile. It reveals itself momentarily for every page load.

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1295668508' post='4762815']
[quote name='Trapper Zoid' timestamp='1295581831' post='4762218']
My biggest gripe - and this is actually pretty major - is that I'm finding it significantly harder to read the actual content of the threads. It might be due to a combination of the new choice of font with the spacing.
[/quote]
Yea this has been a big gripe. I personally can't understand it, so it's been pretty hard for me to help fix. But Kevin Hawkins has been messing around the most with the site stylesheets so I would suggest dropping him a PM to talk about it in depth.[/quote]

On reflection, I think it's merely that I can't stand Arial in smallish sizes and in large doses. I'm experimenting with a custom user stylesheet on top of the GDNet theme and for me just changing the fonts of the post_body to Verdana makes the site a whole heap easier to read.

Personally, my biggest font gripe right now is that the font for the code is too large. This might be a side effect of losing screen real estate to the stupid white bars on either side, but a significantly larger fraction of source code posted now requires horizontal scrolling.

[quote name='Endurion' timestamp='1296112979' post='4765502']
Another question, since about a week every time I change to a new forum (or back to the forum list) my browser (IE8) gets stuck for a few seconds accessing gamedev.us.intellitext.com. That's rather annoying as well.
Would be nice if you could look into that. There doesn't seem to be anything useful at the URL.
[/quote]
Sounds like for the intellitext ads. I'd submit a bug on it and see if that's something we can tweak.

[quote name='Tachikoma' timestamp='1296175374' post='4765966']
What annoys me is the white pop-out menu underneath your profile. It reveals itself momentarily for every page load.
[/quote]
Yea that's one of the small things we're all just dealing with now as we still tackle larger issues.

[quote name='Trapper Zoid' timestamp='1296180990' post='4765993']
On reflection, I think it's merely that I can't stand Arial in smallish sizes and in large doses. I'm experimenting with a custom user stylesheet on top of the GDNet theme and for me just changing the fonts of the post_body to Verdana makes the site a whole heap easier to read.
[/quote]
Actually there was a bit of debate among the staff between Verdana and Arial that never resolved itself. We used to use Verdana on the old site and IPS just set default to Arial. If you want to start a poll...

[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1296181481' post='4765996']
Personally, my biggest font gripe right now is that the font for the code is too large. This might be a side effect of losing screen real estate to the stupid white bars on either side, but a significantly larger fraction of source code posted now requires horizontal scrolling.
[/quote]
I actually went digging for that in the CSS but couldn't find it - my CSS-fu is weak. If anyone can point me to that line/file I will go in and change it. I think it's at 11pt now or something and could def be knocked down to 10pt at least

After first being shocked by the change of layout, I have to say I got used to it very quickly.

I did notice one usability problem, admittedly a pretty minor one, but it should also be trivial to fix: In the forum view, in the list of threads, very long threads with multiple pages do not show direct links to all pages. That part is obviously necessary when threads, such as this one, become overly long. However, it's unfortunate that the shown direct links are 1, 2, 3, and last only. It seems much more appropriate to show links to 1, last-2, last-1, last, because generally, at least I will either want to read the entire thread (starting at page 1), or read up on the latest posts. I can't think of a reason for going directly to pages 2 or 3 (unless they happen to be among the last pages, of course).

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1296199830' post='4766065']I actually went digging for that in the CSS but couldn't find it - my CSS-fu is weak. If anyone can point me to that line/file I will go in and change it. I think it's at 11pt now or something and could def be knocked down to 10pt at least
[/quote]Different browsers do this slightly differently, but presuming you have IE to hand you can find this sort of thing out by pressing F12 to bring up the developer tools, click the small cursor icon on the left of the HTML tab, then click a code source box to jump to it in the DOM tree on the left. Switch to the Trace Styles tab on the right and expand font-size to find that the source code block font size is set by PRE.prettyprint in ipb_common.css.

Or, for the short version: see line 62 of [url=http://public.gamedev.net/public/style_css/css_4/ipb_common.css]ipb_common.css[/url].