• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cowsarenotevil

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

487 posts in this topic

[font="Impact"]I'm a whiner :)

Is it really useful to be able to chose a font for replies? It's really awkward to read if some people use this.

See what I mean? [/font]

[quote name='benryves' timestamp='1296289971' post='4766553']
Or, for the short version: see line 62 of [url="http://public.gamedev.net/public/style_css/css_4/ipb_common.css"]ipb_common.css[/url].
[/quote]
Awesome thanks. Font size is now 10pt and line spacing has been reduced to 115%

[quote name='Endurion' timestamp='1296367881' post='4766909']
[font="Impact"]I'm a whiner :)

Is it really useful to be able to chose a font for replies? It's really awkward to read if some people use this.

See what I mean? [/font]
[/quote]
We have no control over font. If someone decides to be like this, well then they'll probably not find a lot of help or cooperation around here so the problems will more often than not fix themselves.

[quote name='Gaiiden' timestamp='1296586527' post='4768063']
If someone decides to be like this, well then they'll probably not find a lot of help or cooperation around here so the problems will more often than not fix themselves.
[/quote]
*cough*negative-ratings-for-posts*cough*

Why does code appear in one line? It's sooo annoying.
Can I change this?

[url="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/575076-what-is-data-oriented-programming/page__view__findpost__p__4668909"]Example[/url]

No you can't change it, it's a known issue that we have yet to resolve.

I use to visit the old GameDev often and it had recent forum post at the top, which makes sense since it is constantly changing. It made it easy to see what running forum topics i might be interested in but with the new site it's all the way at the bottom? Why would u put something which is the most dynamic ie new forum postings and image of the day at the very bottom, while the things at the very top (new job postings and new resources) change the least.. Ive not seen a new job posting or new resource posting in the last 2 weeks.. Anyways overall I'm finding that i don't visit GameDev much anymore.. too cumbersome and slow loading now.. esp with all the dynamic data at bottom.. I hope they change it..

-ddn

[url="http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=new_posts&search_app=forums"]Use this link[/url]

I used to visit the site several times per day. Since the changes, I may check the site once per day, maybe. Maybe I'm just resistant to change, but I don't find the new site to be a pleasure to use. It's cluttered. It's more verbose. [s]The functional equivalent to active topics (which I polled hourly on the old site) lacks reply count, and membership status indicators (moderator? gdnet+?). I also am one of the few people who liked the rating system. It helped me determine which forum topics I was most interested in. If I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to read a topic, the OP's rating/status might help me decide one way or the other. I found that gdnet+ users or users with higher ratings more often had more interesting topics.[/s]

[s]Overall I have to say that I simply don't enjoy using the new site, and it pains me to say that I probably will not be renewing my gdnet+ membership next time around. Sorry.[/s] I'm undecided as to whether I'll be renewing or not. Edited by smr

OK, so I found the recent content page. That takes care of the missing active topics page. I did try the link provided by Gaiiden before I wrote my last post, but the page came up empty the first time I loaded it. It said that there was no new content. Now it shows me something similar to the old active topics. My other gripes still apply :).

Are any Opera users having this problem:

Here is a line. I now press enter

this is the following line...pressing enter

here we are again...look at all that space between lines? This doesn't happen in IE.

It looks like I'm adding an extra line but I'm not. When ctrl-c it and paste into notepad there are extra lines, but not in this form.

----- removing extra space and pasting from notepad ---

Here is a line. I now press enter
this is the following line...pressing enter
here we are again...look at all that space between lines? This doesn't happen in IE.
It looks like I'm adding an extra line but I'm not. When ctrl-c it and paste into notepad there are extra lines, but not in this form.

-----

Okay I have no idea what is going on. I guess I'll delete this post if it's just something wrong with my config.

Testing.
Testing.
Testing.
Hmm. I went to my control panel and unchecked the "Rich Text Editor" box.
That appears to have fixed my problem.

I agree with the font thing. But I guess it's because some of us edit the posts in Word or something like that. Maybe if the font info would not be pasted (just other formatting info), we wouldn't see these. I doubt it can be modified though...

If you don't use the rich text editor (go to your settings to disable it) then pasting from Word shouldn't carry over formatting.

Perhaps it has already been noted...
When the search feature will be properly implemented? Sorting "last update time" alphabetically makes the search close to useless.

yea I've been told that the search is [i]blazingly fast[/i] but apparently at the moment appears to suck overall. It's most definitely on the list

Seriously can we get like an ETA on the IOTD? I loved that thing and it feels like such a void every time I come here and see that same picture of the Esenthel Engine (which don't get me wrong is a cool picture, just it's the only one [i]ever [/i]there anymore).

[quote name='Funkymunky' timestamp='1297738970' post='4774338']
Seriously can we get like an ETA on the IOTD? I loved that thing and it feels like such a void every time I come here and see that same picture of the Esenthel Engine (which don't get me wrong is a cool picture, just it's the only one [i]ever [/i]there anymore).
[/quote]
[url=http://www.gamedev.net/tracker/issue-1082-iotd/]Last I heard[/url], we were waiting on Invision releasing the next version of their gallery, which is supposed to happen sometime next month.

[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1297739844' post='4774339']
[quote name='Funkymunky' timestamp='1297738970' post='4774338']
[/quote]
[url="http://www.gamedev.net/tracker/issue-1082-iotd/"]Last I heard[/url], we were waiting on Invision releasing the next version of their gallery, which is supposed to happen sometime next month.
[/quote]

They told us it would be released sometime this month but they are still doing beta testing. Our preference is not to build up the IOTD on the crusty old POS gallery that exists now when the new one is much more modernized. So I assume any day now..

But IOTD *will* be back.

There's a problem with the profile dropdown menu. It is always initially visible when the page loads. It used to disappear after a few seconds. Now GDNet is loading slow and the menu remains visible forever. I think it should be set to visibility: hidden initially.

[quote name='Lode' timestamp='1297759674' post='4774397']
There's a problem with the profile dropdown menu. It is always initially visible when the page loads. It used to disappear after a few seconds. Now GDNet is loading slow and the menu remains visible forever. I think it should be set to visibility: hidden initially.
[/quote]
It's already been documented.

I proposed a fix, but it hasn't been addressed yet.

It appears to be a javascript order-of-execution thing. If your page loads slowly, you are probably on older hardware or using a slightly out of date browser (like me on both counts).

I have the problem at home (Athlon 2500, Firefox 3.0), but not at work (Athlon 3000+, Firefox 3.6).

[quote name='leiavoia' timestamp='1297834135' post='4774826']
I proposed a fix, but it hasn't been addressed yet.
[/quote]
It's been shoved into the "Post-GDC" bin with a ton of other stuff.

Oh BTW you specifically should read my latest journal post - I think you'll like the link I have in there to an upcoming IPBoard feature as much as I do :)

I liked the old one more (I just cant get used to new one), anyway in last month I tested it in several browsers and here are the most common problems:

The drop down box remains and after loading is not hidden (I think I had this problem in Rekonq, Konqueror and once or twice also in Firefox and Opera ... strange is no IE issues)
Once or twice the drop down menu (Community, Resources and Features) didn't work (in Rekonq)
The site loaded wrongly (design was broken) - probably issue when downloading (so maybe not your problem), although it happened several times in Rekonq and Opera (though it happened only on WiFi network, so I'd blame the WiFi, not you ... you know what I mean)

Except the long-discussed things (like no IOTD etc.) I didn't encountered any other problem. Good work, people!

OT: Anyway I think that activity here on site died a bit after transition to new design.

I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised at the reaction to the new design when I think about it now. People really did have a loooong time to get comfortable with all the old site had to offer. This is technically the 5th site iteration from a design perspective but from a code base perspective this is really only the [i]second[/i] in eleven years. Along with the major design revisions (v2, v3, etc) the code base revisions were mere point changes rather than whole version changes.

There's also the layout issue besides the whole new way of using the site that people have had to deal with. I hope that because we haven't been actively tweaking the layout lately people don't think we've reached a point where we're satisfied with the way things look. Far from it, we have much more visual design iterations to go through once we get past GDC and can focus solely on the site and not so much on GDC business/coverage.

Anyways to address your problems, they are all documented already in some form or another so you're right that they are indeed common annoyances. Hopefully we can fix that user dropdown menu as one of the first minor tweaks although I've noticed the [i]entire site[/i], even the admin sections, behave this way - all the elements load open and then close once the page is loaded. Blaugh.

Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback

I like the site overall but I find the menu really annoying. Why do I have to click on the arrow to popup the menu let it be just an onHover instead (not only is it more intuitive but you don't have to use javascript to do it. CSS menus FTW).