Sign in to follow this  
cowsarenotevil

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

[quote name='SiCrane' timestamp='1294594599' post='4756071']
There were two new site design threads in the lounge and they got merged into a single thread. It looks like what happened is that cowsarenotevil started his first thread first so he got credit for starting the combined thread.
[/quote]

That's very confusing there needs to be some type of automatic notice... Also why did they close his thread and make him the OP of mine?

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1294594760' post='4756074']
That's very confusing there needs to be some type of automatic notice... Also why did they close his thread and make him the OP of mine?
[/quote]
The forum software made him the OP of this thread because the posts I moved over from the other thread were made before yours. As of right now I'm not sure if this is something we can control - I certainly did not see any option to maintain thread timeline or anything when doing the post merging. It's simply something we'll have to take into consideration when merging posts in the future.

Hmmm. I miss the rating system, I was here for the points!
I liked the simple and professional looks of the old better, but I'm a simple minded caveman. But these features are pretty cool. Attaching files and stuff...

Anyhoo, what does "advanced member" mean? And what makes me advanced?

[quote name='davepermen' timestamp='1294596624' post='4756089']
rating system is there, but focused on posts now. bottom right of each post. should stop the downrating-orgies we had.
[/quote]

Yup, I found that my rating is there (the part 1000 is trimmed away).

[quote name='davepermen' timestamp='1294596624' post='4756089']
rating system is there, but focused on posts now. bottom right of each post. should stop the downrating-orgies we had.
[/quote]

Definitely prefer a more post oriented ratings system than the previous one.

Anyway, like other people, I'm afraid of change. I'll get use to it, and all things considered, the new site looks a lot better. I guess it's more about learning the layout and everything. (Although I guess I do prefer more simple sites purely for interfacing reasons, and would be nice to have the Add Reply and Preview Post buttons a little higher up so I didn't have to scroll down to post things.

[quote name='szecs' timestamp='1294596373' post='4756087']
Anyhoo, what does "advanced member" mean? And what makes me advanced?
[/quote]
[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1294594898' post='4756075']
How do you get added to a Group? Also, how do you get your Title? Or change it?
[/quote]

Go to your control panel and set it to whatever you want. I set mine to "C++ Programmer" since it best describes me,
but that's only until I think up a clever enough witty statement like I'm sure everyone will use it for. :P (Gasp! where's all our great smilies? :()

[img]http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6845/61036166.png[/img]

Avatars and blogs are even available to not GD+ users. If you create a "Photo gallery" in your profile, you can then select a photo from that gallery to use as your avatar, or select one of several sucky defaults.

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1294591855' post='4756041']
Very slick. Everything is so brand spanking new!

My two questions are:
[list][*]Where did my Rating Points go?[*]Will we get the Black Theme back?[/list]
[/quote]

I would also like to know about a black theme. Or at least a darker one than mostly white. I don't like white forums just because after a while they are a little abrasive on the eyes.

Do like the rating system now. I didn't like how many people thought disagreeing with someone's opinion related to them being unhelpful or immature.

And yay multiquote! That's going to really make it easier to understand some of these threads.

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1294597073' post='4756096']
And yay multiquote! That's going to really make it easier to understand some of these threads.
[/quote]
I still don't understand multiquote. It seems to function 100% the same as regular quote - at least for me on Internet Explorer 9.

I do kind of wish there was a dark/blue theme like we used to have (if that is coming, then great :)). Visually, the site seems very... big. All this padding and spacing makes everything look far apart. Will definitely take some getting used to.

gasp! We can attach files! Ok, thats new!

[quote name='Servant of the Lord' timestamp='1294597288' post='4756098']
I still don't understand multiquote. It seems to function 100% the same as regular quote - at least for me on Internet Explorer 9.
[/quote]

It pretty much functions the same as a quote, but now you don't have to have multiple windows open, if you need to quote multiple posts, or have to manually enter things.

That being said, there still do seem to be a few layout issues with IE9. I'm having a very difficult time going back to the lounge because my nametag in the upper left of the screen overlaps most of the links that I use to use, so I have to hit the community button now (which seems to also have it's own issues).

aww we can't choose an avatar picture other than the stock ones. I chose a kitty.

Anyway the site feels clean. Like a clean room. :blink: I like the smilies.I don't like the placement of the name. I feel like it should be over the avatar picture.

Looks slick, but I have a few remarks. There's too much spacing between the titles and text, the recent threads tab barely fits on my screen now while showing less threads than before, the height of most items need to be trimmed down. Screens are getting wider, not higher :P. Also I'd like to see the recent threads moved up more, at least above recent articles.

I like the new site, looks good. A couple of things though:

1) Is Image of The Day gone? That was my favorite feature of the old GD net. Particularly I liked how it was on the front page; made it easy to get to.
2) In the "Recent threads" list on the front page, all of the "N Reply" links (where N is some number), link to "http://www.gamedev.net/#".

[quote name='Mussi' timestamp='1294598148' post='4756113']the height of most items need to be trimmed down.
[/quote]
Yeah this definitely. I'd prefer if I could see more forum posts. Right now the amount of whitespace caused by the left menu is a bit much.

[quote name='medevilenemy' timestamp='1294597495' post='4756101']
I do kind of wish there was a dark/blue theme like we used to have (if that is coming, then great :)). Visually, the site seems very... big. All this padding and spacing makes everything look far apart. Will definitely take some getting used to.

gasp! We can attach files! Ok, thats new!
[/quote]

[quote name='szecs' timestamp='1294597560' post='4756102']
probe
[/quote]

[quote name='Servant of the Lord' timestamp='1294597288' post='4756098']
[/quote]

you click it on all the things you want to reply to then hit reply on the bottom and it will add all of the quotes to your reply field. You have to hit post a reply at the top or bottom though. For some reason if you do it then hit the reply link attached to every post it seems not to work as expected.

When I went to gamedev.net, my immediate reaction was that I must've mistyped the address and went to some spam site.

I suppose the new look is slick; but is it necessary? If there are technical reasons for the change, then great. But if it was merely for the interface, then gamedev.net just lost all of its great simplicity and ease of use. All of the AJAX and Javascript just isn't necessary, and feels sloppy.