• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cowsarenotevil

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

487 posts in this topic

[quote name='Sirisian' timestamp='1294598053' post='4756110']
aww we can't choose an avatar picture other than the stock ones. I chose a kitty.

Anyway the site feels clean. Like a clean room. :blink: I like the smilies.I don't like the placement of the name. I feel like it should be over the avatar picture.
[/quote]

GDNet+ has the ability to upload avatars still.. though I think Gravatar works for all.

I kind of miss the info bar than the posts having the full width of the page over having info on a side bar pushing posts over and requiring horizontal scrolling for code posts.

Never have been a fan of post counts being beside every post, it's insignificant information that too many people attach value to wrongly, which can lead to spammy users and without being able to rate them down, there's no user recourse, and we have to wait for mods, and who wants to do that :P.

I'm gonna miss rating down though, it's gonna be like digg after they removed bury, but fortunately for gamedev there's no reddit that has a proper downvote to take over the traffic

I third a return of the classic black theme. All this white is like running sandpaper across my eyes. I like that you finally got rid of HTML tags. Overall I really dig the new site.

I like it alot.

Can someone give us a breakdown of the ratings categories? I have 756 that is 'Excellent' and stupid_programmer has 75 and is also 'Excellent', for example. Maybe it's a bug?

[quote name='Switch0025' timestamp='1294598505' post='4756119']
1) Is Image of The Day gone? That was my favorite feature of the old GD net. Particularly I liked how it was on the front page; made it easy to get to.
[/quote]
No, not gone, just not on the front page. :( Already used the "[s]Complaint[/s] Friendly Feedback" button to send my groans, moans, and death threats.
Click "Community->Gallery" and you'll find it right fine. ([url="http://www.gamedev.net/gallery"]http://www.gamedev.net/gallery[/url])

Also, I added a description to my new thread. Is this the "tags" that v5 was supposed to have? Is there going to be some common/standard tags that people can use?

[quote name='Sirisian' timestamp='1294598053' post='4756110']
aww we can't choose an avatar picture other than the stock ones. I chose a kitty.
[/quote]
[quote name='szecs' timestamp='1294598272' post='4756115']
I can't set an avatar, although i made a gallery. I can only set the pre-whatever avatars :(
[/quote]

Upload an image to the gallery, click on the image viewing it in the gallery, then click (on the right hand panel)
"Set as Avatar" or "Set as profile photo"

[url="http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1866/avatargn.png"]http://img35.imagesh...66/avatargn.png[/url]

[quote name='Michael Tanczos' timestamp='1294599264' post='4756126']
GDNet+ has the ability to upload avatars still.. though I think Gravatar works for all.
[/quote]

Even non-GDNet+ users can upload avatars (though it might just be a mistake).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know why I don't have a "PM this user" button under my avatar? Is it because benryves is so much handsomer than me? ([b][Edit:][/b] Oh, duh, I can't PM myself, so it's not visible. Everyone else's is visible, since I can PM them. The same thing happens with the 'Mark as Friend' button. Would prefer the buttons are still there, just greyed out)

[b][Edit:][/b] Wierd - when I post, the time of my post is when I first started typing my post, and not when I hit submit (even though I got distracted, and there is a 20 minute different between me starting to reply and me submitting the reply). This means, the second I hit reply, there are already 2 posts after mine. This also means, that since the two people who posted after me already read the thread, they may not realize that I posted, since my post appeared in the area they have already read (i.e. the posts before their posts), and not after their post.

Hmm, this brings Ninja-ing to a whole knew battlefront.

Will the forum favourites feature return? (Or have I just not found it?)

GameDev.net has a very large number of subforums, so I found it very useful to be able to select the ones I was interested in and collapse all of the others. I see that you can "watch" a forum but this doesn't provide much useful information and puts the links in a small box way down the page rather than up at the top.

Is it also possible to check to groups assignations, because i'm GDNet+ but it's not displayed besides the post (Group: Members).

The new layout feels rather busy to me. Maybe remove some of the lines and tighten up spacing?

I'm not sure if your name should be required in your profile options. I put a bogus name in for mine, but this isn't a professional site and the option for anonymity should still be there.

Is the left navbar going to come back? I'm lazy and the extra click of having to go through the top menu to get to the forums is one click to many for my tastes.

[quote name='Rraawwrr' timestamp='1294598065' post='4756111']
Uh... is there any way to undo a upvote on a post? Because I can't really find a method to do that.
[/quote]

Yes, and also, I think it would be a good idea to be able to downvote posts as well. Not as pertinent in the lounge but on technical posts would be nice to see that someone's post has been marked as officially unhelpful.

The site is not terribly useful from a netbook device.

Suggested changes,
Get rid of the floating feedback button on the left
There is a giant white space below the Gamedev.net logo that i just taking up space (maybe it's ad inventory)
Consider redesigning the header area a little bit to consume a little less vertical space so you don't have to scroll to even see the first bit of content at all.

[quote name='MustEatYemen' timestamp='1294602560' post='4756182']
Get rid of the floating feedback button on the left
[/quote]

I think that's only there till the new Layout has "settled in"

Wooh, quite a lot has changed over the weekend! The readable urls for threads are a nice detail. Still kinda feels like a new site (as in, an entirely different community) to me though.

A couple of things about posting; how about putting the 'preview post' button above the editor? That's where the preview is shown (I frequently preview my posts - though it seems preview is now doing a little more behind the scenes than it used to?). Good to see that + signs now show up correctly bytheway. Oh, and perhaps give the code tag a button of it's own, so hopefully more new users will see it?

All in all, looks neat. Let's see where this goes. :)

Lol, I can't use anything but Arial as a font. Silly select field hops back to it post-haste.

I am confused and angry and am going to go hide under the bed for a couple of days until I realize that it's not going back to the way it was, whereupon I will begrudgingly accept it.

Default fonts seem to be rather large. Changing zoom down one notch (in FF) makes things much clearer.

Also +1 for forum favorites. And some subforums don't appear to be properly sorted. General Programming is between Math and Physics and OpenGL.

Everything seems to be loading quite fast, so all the shiny doesn't seem to affect much.

Overall I like the new layout. However, I think the forum posts would look much better without the dark lines between them. Please see the following image to see what I mean:

[img]http://www.joshuapilkington.com/gamedev/Eleventy/Suggestion.01.png[/img]

[img]http://www.aardvajk.co.uk/images/gdwtf.jpg[/img]

Site all very good and stuff, but blimey, that's gone up a bit. [img]http://public.gamedev.net/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

Is the bottom of the G logo in the top left meant to be cut off like that?

[attachment=922:logo.png]

It would look so much nicer if the circle carried on below that line (and fill up some of the blank space).

After lurking around for a bit more, I have to say that there seems to be a [i]lot [/i]of padding and extra lining where it doesn't play any useful role. It almost looks as if the threads and posts are contained in iframes because of the layout. For example, the side lining should be removed. And why is the width fixed? The way the old site scaled to any width was extremely nice.