• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cowsarenotevil

What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

487 posts in this topic

Hey, post ratings. That's cool. Also, where the hell is everybody setting custom avatars from...?

[quote name='Evil Steve' timestamp='1294613167' post='4756287']
It appears that there's something similar on the [url="http://www.gamedev.net/hub/community"]Community[/url] section, as "Recent Forum Posts". But it's pretty hidden away, and is a bit short with only the last 5 posts shown...

I also miss the old-style Active Topics page, which is where I spend most of my time.
[/quote]
Well there is this [url=http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=active]Active content[/url] page now.

On my iPad, when I tap in the Fast Reply field, Safari minimizes itself. At first I thought it crashed. The regular reply field just ignored me.

[quote name='rip-off' timestamp='1294611172' post='4756263']
Polls? Really?
[/quote]

what's wrong with them? If anything it's just an added feature that may be useful.

The switch to IPboard (that's what I heard someone say it was, but I am not sure) I think is a good switch just because there are so many preexisting things that could be useful in the long run. If I'm not mistaken it supports per user templates for people that might like a darker background, the only problem being finding one or creating one.

I haven't noticed the thinness because my home PC size is a laptop, which is probably the width it would be at anyway, but having it scale would be nice. There really does seem to be a lot of wasted useless space, which actually was one of the huge selling points of the old forum. If you look at the old forums, there's just so much more useful information on a screen than on the new one. It's actually pretty shocking.

A lot of the complaints so far are just growing pains. Once people relearn the site I think a lot of them will go away.

I think the most important complaints to address are the ones that aren't feature related; things like darker backgrounds, width, and the amount of wasted space make the ok features seem bad by association.

I'm against using a floating width layout. When you introduce variability into the template, you are going to create different user experiences for different people, and it will invariably lead to problems with some pages at some widths.

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1294614698' post='4756302']
what's wrong with them? If anything it's just an added feature that may be useful.
[/quote]

As for spacing and color schemes, neither bothers me, because it's very similar to the previous .NET and I'm fortunate enough to have a big enough monitor that the spacing is little issue, but I can understand where others are coming from, especially when I switch to my laptop.

As for poll and what's wrong with them:

A site should be tailored to it's definition, and it's content should reflect this. GameDev.net I would assume would be a site about game development. If we're talking forums here, it should be questions and answers on how to approach certain aspects, be it programming, art, etc. I guess it comes down to my opinion, that outside of very specialized instances, polls are really nothing more than a Lounge addition. And while the Lounge is a nice place to post off topic threads, I guess I don't really see it as being the main reason for visiting this site. (Yes, I haven't posted outside the Lounge in awhile, but mainly what I want to ask has been asked, and I've found it while searching the forums, or the questions I feel I'm qualified to answer have already been answered by another person. Just because my posting stays in the Lounge does not necessarily equate to the Lounge being my main area of focus on this site.)

The polls are similar to a lot of other additions. They look great and give the site a more recent look and appeal, but at the same time, they detract from the actual game development aspects of the site imho. While I have my opinions on such, it wouldn't feel right to rate the site's effectiveness. Maybe it's just because I was too comfortable with the previous GameDev, or am just getting old an afraid of new things.

This is great. I really like that you guys moved to PHP. Now I can [i]actually[/i] contribute code when you guys need me to ;)

[quote name='nes8bit' timestamp='1294615628' post='4756309']
This is great. I really like that you guys moved to PHP. Now I can [i]actually[/i] contribute code when you guys need me to ;)
[/quote]

Yeah. I think we know better than to do that :D

[quote name='Josh Klint' timestamp='1294615227' post='4756306']
I'm against using a floating width layout. When you introduce variability into the template, you are going to create different user experiences for different people, and it will invariably lead to problems with some pages at some widths.
[/quote]
I think for the rest of the site this is the case, but forums lend themselves very well to floating widths because a lot of the action on a forum page is just scrolling up and down to read all the posts.

[quote name='Nytegard' timestamp='1294615419' post='4756307']
As for spacing and color schemes, neither bothers me, because it's very similar to the previous .NET and I'm fortunate enough to have a big enough monitor that the spacing is little issue, but I can understand where others are coming from, especially when I switch to my laptop.[/quote]
One important color difference in the old one is that the background is light gray, not white. Even that small change makes a huge difference on the harshness.

On polls: I guess I'm just of the opinion that since it's there it won't hurt anything. If it were a decision to put them in or work on something more pressing, then I might think less of the feature. Since it's already there, it may as well stay there.

What's the difference between [url="http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=new_posts&search_app=forums"]New content[/url] and [url="http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=active"]Active content[/url]? I want the old "[url="http://archive.gamedev.net/community/forums/activetopics.asp"]Active topics[/url]" page.

Front page should have the recent posts box near the top.
The box should be compact to show a lot of posts in a small space.

Actually, everything about the old site seemed to be about efficiently getting across a lot of information in a compact form... In comparison here, everything is supersized and bloated.

Also, IOTD should feature prominently on the front page!! I have discovered so many great ideas over the years by reading GD.net's IOTD religiously.

I guess [url="http://www.gamedev.net/gallery/category/2-iotd/"]this[/url] is the new IOTD area? Will the content from the old site be migrated to the new IOTD?

"Thumbs up" per post is ok, but there needs to be a "thumbs down" as well. "Thumbs down" can be disconnected from the "reputation" system, but a visual identifier to show bad information (or unpopular opinions) is a decent community self-policing tool.

[quote name='Programmer One' timestamp='1294613662' post='4756294']
Hey, post ratings. That's cool. Also, where the hell is everybody setting custom avatars from...?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/592469-what-does-everyone-think-about-the-new-site-layout/page__view__findpost__p__4756140"]This is how[/url] given that linking to a particular post actually works.

[quote name='Nytegard' timestamp='1294597697' post='4756106']
It pretty much functions the same as a quote, but now you don't have to have multiple windows open, if you need to quote multiple posts, or have to manually enter things.

That being said, there still do seem to be a few layout issues with IE9. I'm having a very difficult time going back to the lounge because my nametag in the upper left of the screen overlaps most of the links that I use to use, so I have to hit the community button now (which seems to also have it's own issues).
[/quote]
That's what I thought it was supposed to do... only it doesn't do it in (my copy of) IE9.
Oh well, time to re-install Chrome.

[quote]I think for the rest of the site this is the case, but forums lend themselves very well to floating widths because a lot of the action on a forum page is just scrolling up and down to read all the posts.[/quote]
True, but there isn't a strict distinction between forum and other pages on this site. Should blogs be floating width as well? Should some pages be fixed width, and other floating? That's not good.

[quote name='jpetrie' timestamp='1294609000' post='4756241']
If I could vote this up more than once, I damn well would.

I think a "dark" theme should be added to GDNet+. That's far more monetizable than extra mailbox storage, I'm sure.
[/quote]

I don't think people should pay for basic functionality that works on every other forum in the world--stuff like avatars and themes.

I think it would be a great idea to focus some effort on making the job board worthwhile, for example, or creating a marketplace for assets. Even just improving the articles posted would boost ad revenue. There are lots of options.

[quote name='Dave' timestamp='1294599808' post='4756133']
I like it alot.

Can someone give us a breakdown of the ratings categories? I have 756 that is 'Excellent' and stupid_programmer has 75 and is also 'Excellent', for example. Maybe it's a bug?
[/quote]

I couldn't find my rating. I've zero reputation. That's old news tough...

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1294616970' post='4756319']
One important color difference in the old one is that the background is light gray, not white. Even that small change makes a huge difference on the harshness.
[/quote]

I guess this is attributed to your monitor. The background for me is a light gray. I can understand cheaper monitors not being able to distinguish though. (Unless you were talking about outside the actual frame, which is white, but that doesn't really bother me too much as there's nothing there, and I shrink my window to avoid that.

[quote name='Servant of the Lord' timestamp='1294618472' post='4756333']
That's what I thought it was supposed to do... only it doesn't do it in (my copy of) IE9.
Oh well, time to re-install Chrome.
[/quote]

As way2lazy2care posted on page 3, you need to hit multiquote, and then hit the [b]Add Reply[/b] button at the bottom of the page and not just the Reply button. Also, I've found that you need to run GameDev in compatibility mode with IE9. As I've previously posted, there are way too many formatting errors with the site if you don't run it and it really becomes difficult to use the forums.

[quote name='Washu' timestamp='1294616563' post='4756317']
Yeah. I think we know better than to do that :D
[/quote]

You would think so, but I was actually helping superpig with a flickr module last GDC. It would have been easy, but I couldn't get the FSO object working ;)

[quote name='owl' timestamp='1294619104' post='4756342']
I couldn't find my rating. I've zero reputation. That's old news tough...
[/quote]

Click on [b]My Profile[/b]. On the left side of the screen, under [i]Display name history[/i], and above your [i]Group[/i] and [i]Active Posts[/i] will be a green bar. Inside this bar will be Reputation: XYZ, XYZ being your reputation minus 1000 when compared to the old site.

[font="Arial"][size="2"]I'm liking the new site and forums. Sure wouldn't mind having a dark theme, though.

This is a new account btw; thought it was time to finally change. I used to be LockePick (it was a looooooong time ago I made that account...)[/size][/font]

[quote name='owl' timestamp='1294619946' post='4756359']
If I'm not wrong I used to have 1240.. Thanks god now I got 1.[/quote]Yep, your old profile says [url="http://archive.gamedev.net/community/forums/profile.asp?mode=display&id=16415"]1247[/url].
Strange... my new reputation is exactly my old rating minus 1000.

I'm curious why reputation doesn't show up on your posts? It certainly seems like a relevant piece of information when trying to judge the quality of answer you receive from someone, more so than number of posts or joined date.

Seems like there would plenty of white space to fit this little piece of information, I guess it was deliberately decided to not show it? Seems like a strange choice.

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1294621195' post='4756372']
Yep, your old profile says [url="http://archive.gamedev.net/community/forums/profile.asp?mode=display&id=16415"]1247[/url].
Strange... my new reputation is exactly my old rating minus 1000.
[/quote]

It looks like all of the moderators and staff members also reverted to zero. I claim that because owl changed his name from "xaxa" to "owl" on the old forums at some point that the code used to migrate the ratings lost track of his.

[quote name='Pixelante' timestamp='1294620993' post='4756371']
[font="Arial"][size="2"]I'm liking the new site and forums. Sure wouldn't mind having a dark theme, though.

This is a new account btw; thought it was time to finally change. I used to be LockePick (it was a looooooong time ago I made that account...)[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Speaking of which, it looks as though you can change your posting name on the forums pretty easily. You may want to try this on your old account as long as you want to keep all of your old posts and stuff.

[quote name='Nytegard' timestamp='1294615419' post='4756307']
As for poll and what's wrong with them:

A site should be tailored to it's definition, and it's content should reflect this. GameDev.net I would assume would be a site about game development. If we're talking forums here, it should be questions and answers on how to approach certain aspects, be it programming, art, etc. I guess it comes down to my opinion, that outside of very specialized instances, polls are really nothing more than a Lounge addition. And while the Lounge is a nice place to post off topic threads, I guess I don't really see it as being the main reason for visiting this site. (Yes, I haven't posted outside the Lounge in awhile, but mainly what I want to ask has been asked, and I've found it while searching the forums, or the questions I feel I'm qualified to answer have already been answered by another person. Just because my posting stays in the Lounge does not necessarily equate to the Lounge being my main area of focus on this site.)

The polls are similar to a lot of other additions. They look great and give the site a more recent look and appeal, but at the same time, they detract from the actual game development aspects of the site imho. While I have my opinions on such, it wouldn't feel right to rate the site's effectiveness. Maybe it's just because I was too comfortable with the previous GameDev, or am just getting old an afraid of new things.
[/quote]

How exactly do polls detract from topics about game development? There are several cases where polls are a valuable tool for easily comparing data, especially in the Game Design Forum. It isn't like all the tech forums are doing to suddenly become thread after thread of "Trumped up Teen Idol A vs Fake Teen Idol B" or something like that.