Suggestions Pls! Blender Or Directx

Started by
14 comments, last by lekh 13 years, 3 months ago
hi friends ,thanx a lot for your time . I ve learnt blender reasonably well ,although i ve NOT done any movies or games , i ve done modelling and basic animation in blender .
one can say i am an intermediate in blender .

I wanted to go pro in game development and i got to know that directx with c++ is the way to go (atleast one way of becoming pro). I started learning directx 10 from last 3 days .Although i understood basics in directx like initialising it and other basic stuffs , it was very difficult and overwhelming at times . So i am starting to feel that you cant learn directx EASILY unless your already an expert . is this true? does atleast few :huh: of directx programmers go through this difficult stage .??

the problem with this is its not as intuitive as blender .Directx deals at very low level .:mellow:

Besides i want to consider other options as well like learning 3d max / maya . how are these 2 different from learning directx , if u wanna be a pro??

Additional info:
And iam desparate for an answer bcos i ve got a job in some software IT comany ,, thats not at all my passion ,, i will work in IT company only for 2 years starting from this june . After that i want to switch to game development. Thats the reason y i want some suggestions .
thanx a lot in advance and sorry for the bad english :lol:
Advertisement

hi friends ,thanx a lot for your time . I ve learnt blender reasonably well ,although i ve NOT done any movies or games , i ve done modelling and basic animation in blender .
one can say i am an intermediate in blender .

I wanted to go pro in game development and i got to know that directx with c++ is the way to go
Back up a minute... You're using Blender as a tool to create models/animations -- DirectX isn't a modelling/animation tool, it's an API for programming multimedia applications!
Although i understood basics in directx like initialising it and other basic stuffs , it was very difficult and overwhelming at times . So i am starting to feel that you cant learn directx EASILY unless your already an expert . is this true?You should be experienced with C++ in order to more easily learn DirectX.
Besides i want to consider other options as well like learning 3d max / maya . how are these 2 different from learning directx , if u wanna be a pro??Again, an artist will use tools such as Blender/Max/Maya to create artwork, and then a programmer will use DirectX to draw that artwork in a game.
Neither. You don't become pro by learning C++ and DirectX. You become a professional by spending years writing games and working on projects in ANY language/technology. The important thing is being an expert in solving problems, an expert in completing projects, and an expert at meeting deadlines/making compromises.

The belief that learning C++ is important because C++ is popular in the industry, is in my opinion complete hogwash. C++ is one language that is available for development, but it is not the only language, and I argue heavily that it is NOT a good language for a beginner to start with. Once you have written one to ten thousand lines of code in other languages, then perhaps C++ might be a reasonable goal. Also don't get into making games because you want to do it for a living, do it because you have a passion for it. In my advice: Do not quit your day job.

Start small, work your way up. You will see this advice repeated thousands of times throughout the posts on this forum, and it would be a good idea to search through similar threads to find the answers that you seek.

Good luck!

Back up a minute... You're using Blender as a tool to create models/animations -- DirectX isn't a modelling/animation tool, it's an API for programming multimedia applications!You should be experienced with C++ in order to more easily learn DirectX.Again, an artist will use tools such as Blender/Max/Maya to create artwork, and then a programmer will use DirectX to draw that artwork in a game.

thanx for the reply . i had this difference b/w blender/maya and direct x in my mind .. but sorry ,, i should have framed the question properly .. i am intermediate in c++ . I said directx is hard bcos of available study material out there (i use frank d luna ).. i was prefectly ok with directx when i found http://www.directxtutorial.com/

They had explained everything well in a broader way . But this site charges after few lessons .. It would be really helpful if there are any good study material .

Neither. You don't become pro by learning C++ and DirectX. You become a professional by spending years writing games and working on projects in ANY language/technology. The important thing is being an expert in solving problems, an expert in completing projects, and an expert at meeting deadlines/making compromises.

The belief that learning C++ is important because C++ is popular in the industry, is in my opinion complete hogwash. C++ is one language that is available for development, but it is not the only language, and I argue heavily that it is NOT a good language for a beginner to start with. Once you have written one to ten thousand lines of code in other languages, then perhaps C++ might be a reasonable goal. Also don't get into making games because you want to do it for a living, do it because you have a passion for it. In my advice: Do not quit your day job.

Start small, work your way up. You will see this advice repeated thousands of times throughout the posts on this forum, and it would be a good idea to search through similar threads to find the answers that you seek.

Good luck!

ok thanx for the suggestion .
If you want to be a professional one day, which job do you want?
If you want to make money use Maya, Use Blender if you love (not make money) 3D Animation, game design and Python scripting. :-)

Cheers

Lee

Code is Life
C/C++, ObjC Programmer, 3D Artist, Media Production

Gmail : leestripp@gmail.com

If you want to be a professional one day, which job do you want?

a carrer related to game development / animated movies ,,
Most jobs ask for Maya or 3ds max. Its that easy. Sorry to be blunt :-)

Cheers

Lee

Code is Life
C/C++, ObjC Programmer, 3D Artist, Media Production

Gmail : leestripp@gmail.com

Most jobs ask for Maya or 3ds max. Its that easy. Sorry to be blunt :-)

k thanx for suggestion ,, actly i ve decided to go with MAYA .. but i ve heard some aspects of game design like lighting ,rendering etc( i don knw exactly which aspects ) are good in 3ds Max and some aspects like modeling , animation are best suited for MAYA .. is it true ??

i am more interested in modeling/animation ,, so pls let me know whether to choose MAYA or 3dsMax
:)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement