What Can I Use For Fishing Line

Started by
3 comments, last by speciesUnknown 13 years, 3 months ago
I am working on a coarse fishing game as windows lacks them, i am finding it hard to figure out what i can use as line that's connected to the rod , the player is a fully 3d model but i don't think the fishing line can be a model ,does anyone have any suggestions?
:)
Advertisement

i don't think the fishing line can be a model

Why not? Just make it a chain of very narrow short quads, should give you something like what you need. If you make the lengths short enough it can look like a curved line.
[size=2]My Projects:
[size=2]Portfolio Map for Android - Free Visual Portfolio Tracker
[size=2]Electron Flux for Android - Free Puzzle/Logic Game
well it has to be reeled in etc, i am wanting a line that changes size
:)
A few Ideas:

- Many Line Segments (to allow curvature) and "delete"/"add" them as the Line get's longer or shorter = Easy to implement, but might look jaggy.

- A huge rectengular Quad that stretches from the Tip of your Rod to the lure. Use the Pixel Shader to compute the actual Line = Harder to implement, but will look pretty awesome, Problem is however, you won't be able to see the line if standing 90° to the Quad (directly behind the rod).

- Again a huge Quad, this time with the texture of a curved line. Simply stretch and move the Quad so that one Corner "sticks" to the Rod and the other to the Lure

- And of course karwosts Method will work great. It's used in alot of games as well for bigger ropes.
if you render it as actual lines it will always be 1 pixel in diameter. You can use a vertex array for the actual points, and rely on whatever physics you are using (or splines if you're feeling adventurous).
You can also use the quad method with lines underneath to guarantee at least 1px thicknes
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement