I'm Leaving Gamedev.Net Because Of The New Site Design

Started by
45 comments, last by Gaiiden 13 years, 3 months ago

I get that you're trying to expand/shift the target market for GDNet services, but I think the reason people aren't recognizing these changes is that they see the core service offered by GDNet as being the forums with everything else being supplementary to that role. Looking at it from that perspective, it's easy to see why regressions in the usability of the forums are the major problem points for people migrating to the new software.

The problem, I think, with trying to move away from the forums as the primary focus, and the reason why people are slow to accept the changes, is that there are plenty of other well-established sites that take care of the other aspects you're trying to get into. LinkedIn handles networking, Facebook and Twitter handle communication, and there are plenty of sites out there that handle collaboration between developers. GDNet is the king of technical forums and discussions, with a high concentration of intelligent individuals willing to help and excellent control of the signal-to-noise ratio, both through active moderators as well as community policing via the rating system.

In the same vein, the emphasis so much on content when GDNet hasn't been a significant source of technical content for many years seems a bit silly and premature. Most new articles these days are either product reviews, interviews, or blatant advertising. There's nothing wrong with putting the architecture into place to support a higher volume of quality content, but until you actually start getting that content, it seems pointless to structure your business around it.

Essentially, I want GDNet to focus on developing the services where it excels, orienting the site around them, and then working on the additional features on the side when you get time and they become necessary. Doing it otherwise risks alienating your user base without any guarantees that you'll be able to deliver on the content necessary to make the new site work.

Ah.. I see our definition of content is at odds. smile.gif

Content is more than articles. It's everything generated by an author, user, and visitor of the site - your forum posts, your blog posts, your comments on news, the articles themselves, product reviews, job postings, and so on - all of it is relevant information for game development and related technologies. We don't believe we're shifting focus away from the forums - if anything we're going to strengthen them and augment them with stronger references to other content areas of the site (news, comments, blogs, status updates, external sites, etc.) This software is geared towards tightening the community and giving people access to the information they are most interested in while having the ability to cross-reference all related content across the site - granted, it's not quite setup the way we want yet, but that is the intent and direction.

The service we excel at is providing an environment for the games industry community to flourish, and that is a key goal of this site upgrade. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised as more of our capabilities start to emerge and you start to see that we have a much wider view of what's possible in building a strong community of game developers. Jeromy Walsh reminds me every year at GDC of the loads of rich content in the forums that we need to better utilize. I agree with him, and this site upgrade is a step in the right direction to allow us to better utilize and organize the content generated by the community.

And I think you're onto something regarding the forums look and feel. Good point.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
I think the point Mike was trying to make about is that where as on the old site the forums where 'front and centre' with a quick link from the front page (in fact 3 quick ways; active topics, left hand link and the link from the drop down menu) now I either have to navigate a slightly flakey drop down menu system (which is annoying to use on IE9) or if I want to check if there are any active threads I'm intrested in I have to scroll a massive distance down the front page past an advert, jobs, events, featured book and recent articles (half of which is mirroring information already above the news section) before I get to it.

This alone feels like the forums are being placed a very distance 2nd in the 'way things are going' on the site.

Ah.. I see our definition of content is at odds. :)

Content is more than articles. It's everything generated by an author, user, and visitor of the site - your forum posts, your blog posts, your comments on news, the articles themselves, product reviews, job postings, and so on - all of it is relevant information for game development and related technologies. We don't believe we're shifting focus away from the forums - if anything we're going to strengthen them and augment them with stronger references to other content areas of the site (news, comments, blogs, status updates, external sites, etc.) This software is geared towards tightening the community and giving people access to the information they are most interested in while having the ability to cross-reference all related content across the site - granted, it's not quite setup the way we want yet, but that is the intent and direction.

The service we excel at is providing an environment for the games industry community to flourish, and that is a key goal of this site upgrade. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised as more of our capabilities start to emerge and you start to see that we have a much wider view of what's possible in building a strong community of game developers. Jeromy Walsh reminds me every year at GDC of the loads of rich content in the forums that we need to better utilize. I agree with him, and this site upgrade is a step in the right direction to allow us to better utilize and organize the content generated by the community.

And I think you're onto something regarding the forums look and feel. Good point.

Good to know. Like I said before I see potential in the overhaul, and I just wanted to get my 2 cents in before things get irrevocably taken down a path with which I wasn't comfortable.

For now though I'll wait for Drew's blog post to enlighten us all :)
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

I think the point Mike was trying to make about is that where as on the old site the forums where 'front and centre' with a quick link from the front page (in fact 3 quick ways; active topics, left hand link and the link from the drop down menu) now I either have to navigate a slightly flakey drop down menu system (which is annoying to use on IE9) or if I want to check if there are any active threads I'm intrested in I have to scroll a massive distance down the front page past an advert, jobs, events, featured book and recent articles (half of which is mirroring information already above the news section) before I get to it.

This alone feels like the forums are being placed a very distance 2nd in the 'way things are going' on the site.

There's one other option from the front page - click View Latest Content, then click the Forums tab. Perhaps we ought to have the front page default to the Forums tab when View Latest Content is clicked (different pages default to different tabs), then it would be as easy as it was before.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Ah, I missed that one probably because its somewhat hidden.. and defaulting to the forums is probably a good idea... any way to indicate that other tabs even HAVE extra content?

edit: ugh... just noticed the text advert after, what seems like, the first post on every page.. :|

edit 2: oh, and if I do start spending more and more time away from the site its because the menus are STILL broken in IE9 despite my reporting of that problem back in Oct 2010...
Other than the bugs, I see nothing wrong with the new layout. Personally, I think the fonts are too big the way it is now, and I'd rather have more text displayed but I can either change my browser setting or forum display style. As for the main page, I'll have to tolerate it, but I really do hope it goes down about 2pts.

To be perfectly honest, the farking ad between the forum posts does make me want to leave gdnet. If that's the direction the staff wants to take the site then I don't want to come along.

To be perfectly honest, the farking ad between the forum posts does make me want to leave gdnet. If that's the direction the staff wants to take the site then I don't want to come along.

Oh, so that's what the empty green box between the posts is. I couldn't see the adverts because I had AdBlock enabled. Yeah, that is an incredibly annoying place to put an advert.
IMO, the new forums are extremely painful to read. We'll see how long it takes for my eyes to adjust. I was just getting to where I liked the last style better than the old black layout.

I didn't even notice it until you posted this, but now that I see it I agree that this ad is over the top and needs to go. Absolutely terrible idea, and it almost spoils my otherwise very positive opinion of the new design.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement