You Are Old ...

Started by
54 comments, last by Antheus 13 years, 2 months ago

'Evil said:

I feel old because I had an A: and a B: drive. And I approve of every post in this thread.

Luxury. We could only dream of having letters for our drives. Or colons. We did a LOAD "",8 and we were grateful for it.

This.
Advertisement
No, guys, old is trying to describe punched cards to cow orkers when regaling them with tails of your undergrad days.
Young is knowing how to use the nibbler to get twice the storage out of your 5.25" floppies. t_227.gif

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Young is knowing how to use the nibbler to get twice the storage out of your 5.25" floppies.

Yep the similar trick worked for the 3.5". I just used a very sharp drill bit.

I still have a bunch of floppy drives lying around. And floppy disks of different physical sizes. One of the reasons I have them is because they were one of the most reliable ways of flashing firmware to DVD drives, and motherboards.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad
Remember the times when floppy drive was a luxury and you would be the cool kid if you had one? Everybody else was spinning cassettes and praying that the program/game will load successfully this time (it often took a few minutes without Turbo)...

Geez, I feel like Methuselah now...

Remember the times when floppy drive was a luxury and you would be the cool kid if you had one? Everybody else was spinning cassettes and praying that the program/game will load successfully this time (it often took a few minutes without Turbo)...

Geez, I feel like Methuselah now...

I remember the days when if you had 2 5.25 floppy drives, it meant you could read AND write at the same time. Mind = Blown.
Remember how loud 5.25 drives used to be? Man, that's a sound I haven't heard in a while...
Floppies were extremely high tech and very reliable medium to those of us who had to plug a separately bought cassette player into our Spectrums.

I felt most old when my ex-girlfriend refused to believe that I could remember the days before anyone had VHS Video Recorders in their house.

Pfft. Floppies are new-fangled to me.
Well, feeling all nostalgic I found this in the Data Centre today. The 5.25 Diskettes include one labelled "Y2K Code" and another dated '93. :P
I remember having games than spanned more than ten 1.44 diskettes and failing the installation because one of the diskettes was faulty...

I'm pre-historic.

pleaseinsertthedisklabe.jpg

oh god did I lol. At first I just thought it was cute, but then I read the screen and now people are looking at me funny.

Us talking about floppy disks must be like when the bearded ones talk about punchcards et al, zomg.

My uncle doesn't have a beard :[

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement