You Are Old ...

Started by
54 comments, last by Antheus 13 years, 3 months ago
Heh, I remember when "publishing a computer game"...ment the source code had been published in a periodical :blink:
Advertisement

Heh, I remember when "publishing a computer game"...ment the source code had been published in a periodical :blink:

Yeah, we used to get Compute magazine, and I spent hours typing in the compiled programs (hex) into the Commodore by hand. I tried to convince my parents to upgrade to the Compute edition that came with a disk, but no luck.
You mean what the DOS names A: and B: are used for?
I'm 25 but after seeing that I feel as though I'm half way to old age... Slightly depressed now...
Heh, I still make sure to have a working computer around with a 3.5" and a 5.25" drive. I still have a bunch of old disks laying around that might have something important on them, you don't know!

I remember back in the 80's my Dad was doing some sort of shareware business, so he had my Mom and us kids formatting 5.25" disks like all the time. Format one side. Flip it over and format the other...

Also I don't know about your guys but I didn't hear about a zip drive until like the beginning of university when I got a job and found a zip drive reader in the back of a utility closet. "What is this piece of archaic technology?" My boss: "You see this was a form of data storage like the floppy disk. The university never really supported them. It could store a few 100 MB..." Apparently they never caught on in my high school since I never saw them.
In the late 90s there was a bunch of competing, higher storage, floppy disk format replacements and none of them ever caught on. I remember one was called the Jaz drive.

I'm 25 but after seeing that I feel as though I'm half way to old age... Slightly depressed now...

I'm 23 and I feel similarly. Of course if I never messed up my registry so it no longer recognized thumb drives I never would have known the A/B other than an educated guess on what other types of drives have existed in computers.

'Sirisian' said:

Also I don't know about your guys but I didn't hear about a zip drive until like the beginning of university when I got a job and found a zip drive reader in the back of a utility closet. "What is this piece of archaic technology?" My boss: "You see this was a form of data storage like the floppy disk. The university never really supported them. It could store a few 100 MB…" Apparently they never caught on in my high school since I never saw them.
In the late 90s there was a bunch of competing, higher storage, floppy disk format replacements and none of them ever caught on. I remember one was called the Jaz drive.

I still have an old zip disk drive somewhere in one of the boxes of forgotten technology I share with my paw. Probably sitting next to Merlin.

/nostalgic for my wasted youth
I remeber having games on cassette. Took about 30 minutes to load one up, if all went well, although they all usually fail a few minutes from the end. I'm sure in my young days I spent more time loading games than playing them. I'm only 26, it's amazing how things have come on.

I wonder how technology will have changed in another 20 years?

'NewBreed' said:

I'm 25 but after seeing that I feel as though I'm half way to old age… Slightly depressed now…

I'm 23 and I feel similarly. Of course if I never messed up my registry so it no longer recognized thumb drives I never would have known the A/B other than an educated guess on what other types of drives have existed in computers.

'Sirisian' said:

Also I don't know about your guys but I didn't hear about a zip drive until like the beginning of university when I got a job and found a zip drive reader in the back of a utility closet. "What is this piece of archaic technology?" My boss: "You see this was a form of data storage like the floppy disk. The university never really supported them. It could store a few 100 MB…" Apparently they never caught on in my high school since I never saw them.

I still have an old zip disk drive somewhere in one of the boxes of forgotten technology I share with my paw. Probably sitting next to Merlin.

I thought the Jazz drives were 2 GB tape drives or something like that and the regular zip disks were 100 MB or so? I do remember there being an LS-120 drive that could take regular floppies or special floppies that could store 120 MB.

Man, I'm so glad we are beyond those days. I remember trying to store bitmaps and wave files on disks. You'd be hard pressed to fit anything at all on them.

'way2lazy2care' said:

'NewBreed' said:

I'm 25 but after seeing that I feel as though I'm half way to old age… Slightly depressed now…

'Sirisian' said:

I thought the Jazz drives were 2 GB tape drives or something like that and the regular zip disks were 100 MB or so? I do remember there being an LS-120 drive that could take regular floppies or special floppies that could store 120 MB.

Man, I'm so glad we are beyond those days. I remember trying to store bitmaps and wave files on disks. You'd be hard pressed to fit anything at all on them.

I think there were both 1GB and 2GB Jaz drives, but I don't think they were tape. Tape drives were something else, I don't know how much the held, but that's what my Dad use to use in the early 90's to backup our computer. I do remember hearing something about super floppy disks, but I don't think that went anywhere.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement