• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Darego

Need Some Info

This topic is 2717 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey guys, i'll try to keep this short and simple.

well i'm in my first year in college doing a 4 year computer science degree and i'v just finished my first semester. we've being learning programming through java and so far we have done most basic java functions including if statements, loops, arrays etc (i'm currently working outside the course at home as well to get my programming knowledge more advanced)

so to the point! i have been always wanting to make my own 2D mmo game and i would love to get my head around what i would need to know to make one and where i need to start. i assume i would need to code a client first? then code up a map editor to make the world map? then eventually make all my own sprites (i think making all the sprites would be the hardest part right?) etc maybe this is a bit early for me to be asking this stuff but i'm sure i'll get there eventually. also is java the best language to do a 2d game with?

here's a pic of a game-client that it would look like (i would like to make the sprites similar also). it's a tile based game. would it be really that difficult to make something like this?
http://www.speedysha...97622/tibia.JPG

regarding how i will market it and get people to play it; i have been playing a 2d mmo for the last 6 years which has over 100,000 people playing through 80 servers daily. the thing is the developers of the game have really ruined the pvp in the game in the last few updates so i was thinking of making a very similar game with all the good stuff included. if i did this correctly i'm positive i will have a good number base for the game to start off with

the only reason i'm thinking about doing this is because i liked the old game so much and i know if i do it right i will have a lot of people that will want to play it. i'm just trying to figure out what i will need to learn to be able to make a game like that on my own so i have an idea of how long i have to wait before i can start working on it. also can a decent programmer with just java language experience do the whole game on his own?

* i'm obviously not experienced enough to do the fully finished game now but i would love to start working on a smaller version (even an offline client version with some basic stuff). i just don't know where to get started, maybe you guys know some articles that could help me?

thanks and apologies for the long-winded post

Advertisement
I'm starting to get up on Game Programming myself, and do a little bit of programming here and there while attending my second year of college.
Making a 2d MMO would be like driving nails into your forehead while being water boarded. Just making a 2D game in the art style you specified is a task in itself, you would have to be an extreme sprite artist (i think) to come up with some graphics like that.

Where to begin is up to you, obviously you would need to start from the ground up when it comes to making games. No one can start out and expect to program a BioShock 2 after there first week of programming (a hyperbole of course). First you need to pick out a Game/Graphics engine to get used to (i.e. stuff like C# with XNA/dx3D, C++ with SDL, OpenGL, directX). I'm not sure what Java has in store but I know it's fully capable of making games, look at MineCraft. Eventually you'll be able to make simple game clones of early games like Pong, Tetris, Breakout, stuff like that just so you can get used to different game programming algorithms and paradigms which will eventually help you out when you start to create your own complex games.

Now when you throw MMO style gaming into the mix it's a whole different ball game, that I don't even understand. All I know is Polymorphisms will either become your best friend or worst nightmare. Of course there will be the issue of getting used to Network programming and optimizing it for your game, again I don't know much about that either.

Hope this post helped in some way =x

I'm starting to get up on Game Programming myself, and do a little bit of programming here and there while attending my second year of college.
Making a 2d MMO would be like driving nails into your forehead while being water boarded. Just making a 2D game in the art style you specified is a task in itself, you would have to be an extreme sprite artist (i think) to come up with some graphics like that.

Where to begin is up to you, obviously you would need to start from the ground up when it comes to making games. No one can start out and expect to program a BioShock 2 after there first week of programming (a hyperbole of course). First you need to pick out a Game/Graphics engine to get used to (i.e. stuff like C# with XNA/dx3D, C++ with SDL, OpenGL, directX). I'm not sure what Java has in store but I know it's fully capable of making games, look at MineCraft. Eventually you'll be able to make simple game clones of early games like Pong, Tetris, Breakout, stuff like that just so you can get used to different game programming algorithms and paradigms which will eventually help you out when you start to create your own complex games.

Now when you throw MMO style gaming into the mix it's a whole different ball game, that I don't even understand. All I know is Polymorphisms will either become your best friend or worst nightmare. Of course there will be the issue of getting used to Network programming and optimizing it for your game, again I don't know much about that either.

Hope this post helped in some way =x

thanks for the reply mate, really informative! looks like i have a long road ahead of me!

best of look with your degree.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!