• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GMA965_X3100

Damage, Distortion Of Material Question.

This topic is 2806 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just a little taste of what is to come from this new damage theory. HM enabled damage. Demo features a look see on how metal would dent or distort with force applied.
No realistic collision takes place:

CAN YOU GUESS WHAT TYPE OF COMPLEXED MATHEMATICAL EQUATION IS USED TO PRODUCE THIS DISTORTION OF 3D MATERIAL? IF YOU GET ANSWER, SOURCE CODE IS YOURS.

hed.png
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hed1.png

See it:
hed demo

requires openGL, x86 ( 32 bit ) compatible PC.

watch video

Advertisement

z = z - 2.0f;

:lol:

lol....no dice. It it were that simple....programmers woudn't have to resort to third party physics engines, or work tirelessly for months-years to achieve soft body physics.
When u guess....keep in mind that I am an openGL coder of 3 months +, not 2 days +, come on........z = z - 2.0f....well my old mechanism worked like that ( a little more complexed), but that was on the first 3 days of learning gl.

old damage..manual and boring:
84761961.png

above u see a car hardcoded, no 3d modeler used. I had done so do control the way how faces were affected. But this damage mechanism would require 360 degrees of coding to be efficent, whereas HM enabled damage requires so..little code...: ) z =z - 2.0f C'mon.

second screenshot:
77317260.png

Second shot was added for no particular reason. For a harcoded car ( among five others, houses, shops, curch, police staion,bars,gas station), and only done within 5 days of learning gl, it's a good achievement.

Besides HM enabled damage will allow for the material to inherit the exact shape of the object that hit it. The better the collision system, or the better the object's collision shape can be represented, the better the damage. I'm yawn....as soon as i recover from sleep..yawn..i will work on it..or maybe try to set up cg in Dev-Cpp whcih i'm yet to do.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!