• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
16bit_port

Mobile Development (Iphone, Droid, Windows Phone 7)

This topic is 2736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm assuming all three have an app/game marketplace that developers can publish their game on.

Questions pertaining to all 3 OS's :
How much are the licenses to put the game out on their respective market?
Do I need pay to develop games on system or just only when I publish?
How much percentage does each company take from each sale?
Which has the largest user base? I'm assuming iOS > Droid > Windows Phone 7.
What graphics API does each system use and which has shader support? I know iOS currently supports OpenGL ES 2.0 and Windows Phone 7 does not (?) support any shaders.
Any requirements when I want to develop on their respective system? I know that if I want to develop on the iPhone/iPad I need to have a Mac with Snow Leopard OS on it.
What programming languages am I able to use when developing games on the Android and Windows Phone 7?

Advertisement
Something to bear in mind: iOS supports OpenGL 2.0 only on newer devices - iPhone GS, iPod touch 3rd gen, etc. However, these newer devices represent only 50% of the total iOS market.

Questions pertaining to all 3 OS's :
1) How much are the licenses to put the game out on their respective market?
2) Do I need pay to develop games on system or just only when I publish?
3) How much percentage does each company take from each sale?
4) Which has the largest user base? I'm assuming iOS > Droid > Windows Phone 7.
5) What graphics API does each system use and which has shader support? I know iOS currently supports OpenGL ES 2.0 and Windows Phone 7 does not (?) support any shaders.
6) Any requirements when I want to develop on their respective system? I know that if I want to develop on the iPhone/iPad I need to have a Mac with Snow Leopard OS on it.
7) What programming languages am I able to use when developing games on the Android and Windows Phone 7?

This is almost entirely research you should be doing on your own.

1) How much are licenses?
Depends on the platform and whatever technology you license. If you want to use WWise or RAD tools or Unity3D in your games then obviously it will be more expensive than just using the platform SDK.

2) Do I need to pay when I publish?
Depends on how you want to publish. The Apple store is the most straightforward way to operate, but certainly not the only legal distribution method for the iPhone. Droid has the Marketplace, but it is also not the only way to distribute applications. Your apps can be published and distributed in many different ways. That is basic market research that you need to study and decide for yourself.

3) How much does my publisher keep?
Depends on how you publish it, and how you get revenue. Apple and Google both clearly state their royalty rates on their web sites, assuming you work with them. Any ad-based revenue or content-based revenue is up to you. Windows Phone doesn't have the same type of centralized publisher right now.

4) Who has the largest user base?
Depends on your target user. If you want a game that targets children age 3-7, it will likely have different demographics than a game with teens, and a different demographic than a game targeting 20-35 year old males.

5) What graphics API does each system use?
If you are serious about this question, you are not ready to develop a product.

6) Are there any requirements on each system?
Of course. Lots of them. There are basic requirements defined by the hardware itself. There are voluntary requirements you accept when working with your publisher. There are additional voluntary requirements you accept if you choose to get your game rated by the ESRB or other agency. And you probably also have your own personal standards and requirements that you will impose on yourself.

7) What programming languages can I use?
Whatever languages you want.

This, I don't think is true for Android and Windows Phone 7. I don't know about iPhone (objective C maybe?)

I believe that Java is the only language you can use for Android Development
For Windows Phone 7 you can use Visual Basic (I think), C# and XAML.

I originally wanted to develop for Android but I dislike Java for some reason so I am developing for Windows Phone 7 for which you can use the Visual Studio IDE to develop your games/apps. For games development on the Windows Phone 7 you can use the XNA framework library.

Hope this helps a little.

[quote name='frob' timestamp='1294876559' post='4758071']

This, I don't think is true for Android and Windows Phone 7. I don't know about iPhone (objective C maybe?)

For Windows Phone 7 you can use Visual Basic (I think), C# and XAML.

I originally wanted to develop for Android but I dislike Java for some reason so I am developing for Windows Phone 7 for which you can use the Visual Studio IDE to develop your games/apps. For games development on the Windows Phone 7 you can use the XNA framework library.

Hope this helps a little.
[/quote]
The GCC toolchain has Android support. The cool thing about the Gnu Compiler Collection is that all the languages are parsed to a common abstract syntax tree and than the abstract tree and then compiled from there. That opens up many languages: C and C++, Java, Pascal, Ada, and a bunch of other mainstream, academic and obscure languages.

On the iPhone there are legitimate ways to compile C# and Python scripts. Compiled flash is an option. XMLVM and others will compile your language of choice into ObjectiveC code, and using other toolchains can gain access to a wide range of languages. A few toolchains need extra steps or require a device that has been jail-broken; it limits your market but doesn't eliminate it as an option.

The Windows Phone is still fairly new, but I don't see any technical barriers against using other languages.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]How much are the licenses to put the game out on their respective market?
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color="#1C2837"]there is really no licenses fee,
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
Do I need pay to develop games on system or just only when I publish?
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]on ios, 99 each year, windows phone also 99, android is free
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
How much percentage does each company take from each sale?
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]i guess, 30% for most of the phones. and amazon has it's own market. i don't know much about it. but 30% is very typical.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
Which has the largest user base? I'm assuming iOS > Droid > Windows Phone 7.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]android > iphone > windows phone. but android users are not so into paid games.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
What graphics API does each system use and which has shader support? I know iOS currently supports OpenGL ES 2.0 and Windows Phone 7 does not (?) support any shaders.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color="#1C2837"]opengl es 2 is available on iphone and android. and directx / xna is on the windows phone. they should all support shaders. GLSL shader vs HLSL shader
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
Any requirements when I want to develop on their respective system? I know that if I want to develop on the iPhone/iPad I need to have a Mac with Snow Leopard OS on it.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]a mac can work for everybody. you can use bootcamp to run windows on it.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
What programming languages am I able to use when developing games on the Android and Windows Phone 7?
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]on ios, you can use objective-c and c++
[color=#1C2837][size=2]on android, you can use java and c++/ndk
[color=#1C2837][size=2]on windows, C#

The Windows Phone is still fairly new, but I don't see any technical barriers against using other languages.

Microsoft doesn't want to open up the native code support. so it must be some language that based on .net framework. this makes porting of games from iphone and android to windows phone harder. for example, you may not have the physics engine you used for android and iphone when you develop for windows phone.

this is so wrong. i would have stamped on my android phone, if it is purely java. java sucks!
good news is that google has started to show some respect to c++ by providing the new android ndk that allows you to use c++. but only since very recent this ndk thing has started to be promising.

thanks to the openness of the android platform, there is also the android Qt library to use on the phone.

I am quite fond of Java. I haven't developed for iOS, but I do know Android.

Android has a lifetime one time fee of $25 to be able to publish on the Android Market. Making apps on android is free though. It is really easy to upload from your Google Account. They have some awesome advertising that is free too. You make some banner ads, upload them with your app, and they take care of the rest.

Google also takes 30% of the royalties. Considering the price of boxing, packaging, marketing, shipping, distribution, ext... on big budget games, 30% is almost nothing. But hey, if I am selling a game for $2, and 1000 people download it. I am still making $1400 :)

Obviously to make REALLY good money on the android market is to make good games, and a good amount of good games. Of different genres too. That will maximize your market potential.

I believe Droid's Market Share is increasing rapidly. It is used by almost every wireless carrier. Also have several tablets, book readers, and several different phone devices. iOS is only on two carriors with only a few devices. So the potential might be greater with Android.

One way that I use to program android apps is Java with Eclipse. Pretty easy to use IMO. Android Emulator is not as powerful as testing on actual devices, but useful to test different screen resolutions.

I have recently discovered a nice game/graphics library for Android. libgdx is useful to handle the Opengl ES calls. I hear plenty of people saying, "make games, not engines." I took that as, dont worry about the graphic engine, somebody else has done most the work. Plus it handles a lot of the activity events. I recommend it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!